Sitting more than 8hrs?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I try to get up and move on my breaks and lunch, even if it's just something low impact in my office. I bring my lunch and snacks from home so I'm not tempted to get junk from the vending machines.
  • NataBee
    NataBee Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* 1hr train ride to work, 9 hours sitting at a desk, another hour on a train riding home... I used to get terrible knee joint pain! So i started doing the little things and tbh they made a load of difference!

I eat my lunch a little before my lunch break and then walk around the shops in the town center during my whole lunch hour. When it's time to go the loo or have a drink i'll use the machine on the floors two above me.

One thing i've noticed, drink more water, you get up to use the loo more, on your way back from the loo get more water and the cycle repeats! Plenty of movement!
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    dumbells and resistance bands under my desk for conference calls and will do squats, jacks, etc as well throughout the day.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I have to sit at school 9am-Noon and 1-3:30pm. I just go to night workout classes at a gym. Or in the morning if I feel like getting up early.
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options

I eat my lunch a little before my lunch break and then walk around the shops in the town center during my whole lunch hour. When it's time to go the loo or have a drink i'll use the machine on the floors two above me.

^^Yes! I never take my lunch hour to eat. I eat at my desk and use my lunch hour to work out. We have a gym on site, so I do a full work out for "lunch"
  • Aladye
    Aladye Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have looked online and they say drinking water doing arm and leg exercises. Things like leg lifts pumping your arms tightening and releasing your abs are all things you can do

it you office allows you can sit on a balance ball. it is also beneficial for you back if you have lower back problems
  • scanners107
    scanners107 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi i do 12 hour shifts sat behind a desk 5 days a week with no breaks, i tend to try and walk about every hour even if its just to the toilet or for a drink.
  • sarahdixon43
    Options
    Yep I'm sat all day, 5 days a week too. think its a good idea to try and leave your desk every hour for a walk around/ get a glass of water.... it can help with hunger too!
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    I work from home so I sit at my computer for a while, but it's fitness online consulting haha. Work out from home too so it helps balance. No vending machines, just healthy stuff in my cupboards. I'm lucky I suppose ;-)
  • Sbice66
    Options
    Hi. I feel your pain. I sit at my desk about 10 hours each day. The only exercise I get is going to the restroom and the kitchen. I am not close enough to go home for lunch. I am new to My Fitness Pal - but so good, it is good.
    I find myself doing a few neck, shoulder and back stretching while I sit here working away.

Best of luck to you.
  • Aniseedvan
    Aniseedvan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Another day long desk aitter here. i am lucky to have some colleagues who like walking, although I get reined back for route marching them, and we have a couple of routes we do. If I don't manage that, I will walkround the group of buildings at least once. I read in last months wired magazine that cold air is an aid to beating stress and making you more alert for your job, so I don't feel too guilty!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I actually do the opposite of you. I drink TONS. It gives me an excuse to get up and move lots. Not like people can stop you from peeing! LOL!

I talk a walk on my breaks. I have an hour lunch and a 15 minute break. On both I take a short walk (even if it's just halfway down the block).

Anyway. I just do my best to get out and move as much as I can.
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have my calendar set to notify me every hour on the hour so I will take notice and at least stand up. Here is some good desk exercises: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm
  • RaiderFan2013
    Options
    I also work an office job at a Junior College. And try to get out at least every 2 hours to walk. I could go "crazy" if I did'nt leave...lol :happy:
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    1Pretty_Busy_Mom Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I also work an office job at a Junior College. And try to get out at least every 2 hours to walk. I could go "crazy" if I did'nt leave...lol :happy:

Cant get out every 2hours..too strict. That would be nice though
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    I have my calendar set to notify me every hour on the hour so I will take notice and at least stand up. Here is some good desk exercises: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm

Good idea
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    I actually do the opposite of you. I drink TONS. It gives me an excuse to get up and move lots. Not like people can stop you from peeing! LOL!

I talk a walk on my breaks. I have an hour lunch and a 15 minute break.

Would be nice to have an hour lunch.
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    Hi. I feel your pain. I sit at my desk about 10 hours each day. The only exercise I get is going to the restroom and the kitchen. I am not close enough to go home for lunch. I am new to My Fitness Pal - but so good, it is good.
    I find myself doing a few neck, shoulder and back stretching while I sit here working away.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks..same to you
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    I work from home so I sit at my computer for a while, but it's fitness online consulting haha. Work out from home too so it helps balance. No vending machines, just healthy stuff in my cupboards. I'm lucky I suppose ;-)

So what's your advice Coach
  • 1Pretty_Busy_Mom
    Options
    Another day long desk aitter here. i am lucky to have some colleagues who like walking, although I get reined back for route marching them, and we have a couple of routes we do. If I don't manage that, I will walkround the group of buildings at least once. I read in last months wired magazine that cold air is an aid to beating stress and making you more alert for your job, so I don't feel too guilty!

My colleagues walk to popeyes, mcdonalds, taco bell, taco truck or kfc. Not interested