Greek Yogurt - Texture Issue

Options

Replies

• legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I usually have texture issues myself...I had to get used to greek yogurt. That being said, I now absolutely LOVE the Fage brand with Chobani a close second. Get the ones with fruit and mix it up real good. Give it a second try. If you still don't like it, don't worry about it. Just find something else you DO like.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I really like the Fage one, and they do one with a strawberry compote thing as well which is delicious, just mix it all together et voila!
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like Dannon Oikos non fat greek yoghurt. You need to stir it up as it tends to separate a bit. I eat it because it has fewer carbohydrates than regular yoghurt.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I love Stonyfield's yogurts. Their Greek yogurt is my favorite.
  • bankstisha
    bankstisha Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Im only a okios fan myself
  • melissann23
    melissann23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like Fage.

^^^ this. every day. its creamy, yummy, and you can get creative adding diff fruits to it.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    When I buy any type of yogurt I make sure it is low fat or fat free and also with 0% added sugar, because I like to add a dessert spoon of honey to it.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've heard that greek yogurt sometimes has less carbohydrates than some regular yogurt but other than that I'd say it probably just depends on the brand.

Just check the labels for fat, sugar, protein, calories, and/or anything YOU care about for your personal goals/purposes... I'm sure there are regular yogurts that are just as healthy.

Greek yogurt just seems like a new fad... I personally like it, but I don't think there's any great nutritional injustice if you decide to reach for regular yogurt instead :)
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Chobani Black Cherry is my favorite. Greek yogurt is "better" than lite regular yogurt if you want the protein, as it has almost triple the protein of most regular yogurt.

I hate Oikos, and I haven't tried many of the others because I like the Chobani so much.
  • asaralee3
    asaralee3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your posts. Def. some new versions to try!

I will add..if you have Kroger in your area...The Carb-Master yogurt is horrible..I'd rather eat dirt.
  • Czechster
    Czechster Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow this is good to know. I have only tried Oikos and eat it just about every day and didn't know any other one could be "grainy". I love my Oikos. Guess I will stick to this one.

I prefer the Liberte even to Oikos

I like all brands of Plain Greek Yogurt but I have found that the Oikos brand (both 2% and 0% fat) curdle when I heat it in a sauce. Liberte and Kirkland brands do not!
  • suziphene
    suziphene Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't generally like plain yoghurt I do however like Greek Tootal even better with a teaspoon of lemon curd or jam in
  • mlundbe2
    mlundbe2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Dannon Light & Fit Greek, they make it in either fat free or regular, I love the vanilla because I add almonds to it, I've tried others but this is one that I really like...

They also have it other fruity flavors too.

This is also my favorite Greek yogurt. The texture is quite "normal," and each is 80 calories. I usually buy the strawberry ones.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your posts. Def. some new versions to try!

I will add..if you have Kroger in your area...The Carb-Master yogurt is horrible..I'd rather eat dirt.

Carb-master yogurt is soooooo bad!

My future father-in-law always gives me a hard time about buying Chobani (even though it's my money and I like the yogurt) and he's always saying "the carb-master yogurt is only 50 cents!" I can't get him to understand that there's no amount of money that's going to make me eat something that tastes the way that stuff tastes...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For a long time my favorite was Chobani 0% fruit on the bottom (all flavors except orange - blech!). All of a sudden Walmart spiked the price, probably to take advantage of the fad, so I decided to try my grocery store's brand (Hannaford Taste of Inspirations) of greek since the ingredients and all that were about the same. It's important for me to have my greek yogurt with all those good probiotics since that's the biggest reason I eat it and they had those covered so that's what I've been eating ever since. It's very smooth and creamy.

I have been thinking though, to save on sugar, I should try going back to vanilla and adding my own berries. I'll be switching over to that method next week. At least for Chobani, the vanilla has less sugar and slightly more protein content per serving.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I think if you don't like it, don't make yourself eat it! I could only eat regular yogurt with granola, fruit or nuts in it because I would gag over the texture so I didn't eat much yogurt. Then I tried greek and the thicker texture works for me so I enjoy it much more often. There are plenty of other ways to get protein so if you don't like the yogurt, don't eat it. It's not worth wasting the calories on.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I always buy the big tubs of Fage 2% Plain and have never noticed a grainy texture. I like the plain because it is more versatile. I add a handful of berries or chopped fruit, a little honey, or a spoon of jam for sweet but it also subs as sour cream or I can stir it into curries or other savory sauces. I have some texture issues with other yogurts, pudding, and other things that are too goopy, but I think becuase greek yogurt is thicker it works better for me. But I agree that if you don't like you don't have to eat it, plenty of other good foods out there.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    So funny, I saw your post title and thought "What, they don't like smooth and creamy?" I've never really thought it was grainy, but I've eating it ever since I moved in with my husband, who is Greek, 12 years ago. I love Chobani and Fage and pretty much don't stray from those two brands. I did try Oikos and thought it was terrible.

Also, for those complaining about the cost, I get Chobani at Costco for somewhere around $.85 ea.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Don't eat fat free yogurt. I've found that the grainy, mealy texture is from the artificial sweetners.

Also, Greek yogurt is just "regular" yogurt that has had more water/whey taken out ot make it thicker. If you don't like the texture go back to Dannon or Yoplait.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Fage plan 0%
    a few teaspoons of vanilla protein powder
    berries and a sprinkle of granola
    = my work breakfast.

Not grainy, super yummy.