CONFUSED: Earning Extra Calories?

Options
Hey all,

Can you please clarify: if I 'earn' an extra, say, 400 calories because of exercise, do I NEED to consume those extra 400 calories?

If I do not eat those extra 400 calories, will I be malnourished?? lol

Thanks - let me know if this is clear or not!

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You want to 'net' above your BMR, otherwise you should be fine. There's some strong opinions on eat calories back or don't. If you don't, you lose quicker at first, but will slow down. If you do you will probably have more consistent results but with either you also want to ensure you are getting the nutrition you need to maintain that loss. If you feel tired you probably aren't eating enough for what you're burning. I eat back what I burn about 50% of the time, just works out better in my head and helps me to have 'cheat' days.
  • teee12
    teee12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry yes, we are alll different, like for example i sometimes eat my 'extras' back, and sometimes dont. :)
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Personally Im skeptical about all this from my own experience I could not live on 1200 cals a day even if I lie in bed all day which I dont,if I walk 8 miles a day and run 5 k God knows how many exercise points I will clock up so I would be given about 2500 calorie allowance I always eat between 1500-1700 cals a day no matter what I do I couldnt then consume my extra calories! so wheyeher I should or not I couldnt! i suit my needs not what it says I should!
  • tsmortimer
    tsmortimer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks, folks.

I have NOT been eating the calories. I think of it like a savings account, and the extra calories go in there. lol.

Because of that thought pattern, however, I've been able to have a 100% guilt-free cheat day - which is awesome!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    the default setup on mfp is that yes, if you exercise and burn X calories, then you eat X calories back. a calorie deficit is already set into your calories for the day. so consider your exercise as a tool to help attain the body or cardiovascular fitness level that you would like to attain, not as the primary method of achieving a calorie deficit.
  • tsmortimer
    tsmortimer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the link.