Insanity over 50??

Options
bcattoes
bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
Has anyone over the age of 50 done Insanity? I'm currently doing Turbo Fire, which I love and was thinking of trying Insantiy once I complete it, but is it too insane for a 51 yo grandma with a desk job? I'm in good shape, but I know I'm not 30 anymore and don't want to risk having to become sedentary due to injury. I don't see anyone older in the commercials so just wondering if anyone here has done it at my age.

Replies

• lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You should see what I do! I work out almost as hard as I did in my 20-s, in some ways harder, both weights and cardio. Later today I have 90 minutes of weight training, I do 4 days a week 30-45 minutes of intense cardio, I surf, downhill ski and mountain bike.

If you've been inactive you might check with your doctor.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    You should see what I do! I work out almost as hard as I did in my 20-s, in some ways harder, both weights and cardio. Later today I have 90 minutes of weight training, I do 4 days a week 30-45 minutes of intense cardio, I surf, downhill ski and mountain bike.

No, I'm not inactive. I workout pretty much everyday. But I'm not sure anything you mentioned in your post would be as intense as Insanity, depending on what you mean by "intense cardio". Does that include plyometrics on the scale of Insanity?
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have never done the whole 6 weeks. Not because I can't, I just haven't. I'm 51! :-) I monitor my heart rate and do my best not do die.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have never done the whole 6 weeks. Not because I can't, I just haven't. I'm 51! :-) I monitor my heart rate and do my best not do die.

Insanity is 9 weeks :)
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just completed it last month, he is 50, I am 44.

Take it slow and modify what you need to modify, it can definitely be done!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think I might give it a try after I complete Turbo Fire. Hopefully I won't die either. :laugh:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Age means nothing. I can run circles (literally) around my 30 yr old daughter in law. You'll never know what you can do until you try it.
  • lorenzoinlr
    Options

No, I'm not inactive. I workout pretty much everyday. But I'm not sure anything you mentioned in your post would be as intense as Insanity, depending on what you mean by "intense cardio". Does that include plyometrics on the scale of Insanity?

I would say yes, in fact I've done Plyometric workouts in the past, just not Insanity. These days I prefer to break up m workouts into either resistance or aerobic but I've retained intense full body elements. This time of year to train for skiing I do HIIT training which gets my heart rate to 95% and for extended periods. I try and replicate Plyometrics during 45 minute cardio sessions on the stairclimber and also engage the rigors of surfing. Paddling is a significant workout.

My confidence in doing all this is helped by having getting periodic stress tests which are ego strokes when the dr. sees the shape I'm in.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I try and replicate Plyometrics during 45 minute cardio sessions on the stairclimber and also engage the rigors of surfing.

Since plyometrics involves jumping, how do you replicate it on a stairclimber?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Age means nothing. I can run circles (literally) around my 30 yr old daughter in law. You'll never know what you can do until you try it.

I'm sure I could run circles around some 30 yo, but that doesn't make me think age means nothing. I couldn't run circles around me at 30. It doesn't make me think running is anything like Insanity either. It is not the endurance or even intensity of Insanity that concerns me as much of the type of exercise. Turbo Fire as some HIIT plyometric workouts, but it looks like Insanity is on a whole other level from the commercials. That's why I was asking specifically about the exeriences of those in my age group with Insanity.
  • lorenzoinlr
    Options
    I try and replicate Plyometrics during 45 minute cardio sessions on the stairclimber and also engage the rigors of surfing.

That is incorrect. Plyometrics involves fast, powerful, explosive movements. It can involve jumping.

You have some attitude towards more knowledgeable and experienced people trying to help you. Just because you're making something a bigger deal than it is and seem unable to articulate your specific concerns doesn't mean you have to be an *kitten* towards others.

Good luck to you, at this point I could care less.
    /
    /
    /
    /
  • bcattoes
    Options

That is incorrect. Plyometrics involves fast, powerful, explosive movements. It can involve jumping.

You have some attitude towards more knowledgeable and experienced people trying to help you. Just because you're making something a bigger deal than it is and seem unable to articulate your specific concerns doesn't mean you have to be an *kitten* towards others.

/
    /
    /
    /

I asked specifically about Insanity. If you've never tried it I'm not sure why you posted at all, but certainly don't understand the nasty attitude now. It would seem you are no more knowledgeable or experienced about the subject (Insanity) than I, but thanks for stopping by to insult me. I hope you feel better now. :flowerforyou:
  • lorenzoinlr
    Options

/
    /
    /
    /

I asked specifically about Insanity. If you've never tried it I'm not sure why you posted at all, but certainly don't understand the nasty attitude now. It would seem you are no more knowledgeable or experienced about the subject (Insanity) than I, but thanks for stopping by to insult me. I hope you feel better now. :flowerforyou:

Insanity isn't the only routine involving their approach to exercise. The respondents in this thread were trying to be helpful and didn't deserve your condescension. If you were knowledgeable you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.
  • PhotoSam
    PhotoSam Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and just finishing up round 3 of Insanity. It has been the best (and hardest) thing I have ever done.

Don't worry about keeping up with the videos, just do what you can, and you will get better. Soon, you will find you are keeping up with the 20-somethings in the videos!

Doing the workouts is just half of it. You need to get your nutrition right in order to see any significant results.

Good luck with the program!
    DIG DEEPER!
  • bcattoes
    Options

/
    /
    /
    /

Insanity isn't the only routine involving their approach to exercise. The respondents in this thread were trying to be helpful and didn't deserve your condescension. If you were knowledgeable you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

I wanted to know specifically if anyone over 50 had done the BeachBody workout Insanity. I exercise regularly in many forms and wasn't asking for basic exercise advice. I was asking for experiences. I thought my OP was pretty clear, but if not, then my apology to anyone who thought I wanted basic over 50 exercise advice and/or interpreted my attempts to clarify my intention as condescension.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I am 54 and just finishing up round 3 of Insanity. It has been the best (and hardest) thing I have ever done.

Don't worry about keeping up with the videos, just do what you can, and you will get better. Soon, you will find you are keeping up with the 20-somethings in the videos!

Doing the workouts is just half of it. You need to get your nutrition right in order to see any significant results.

Good luck with the program!
    DIG DEEPER!

Thank you!! That is the kind of thing I wanted to hear!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I've not done it but I've read that people say its tough on the knees. I know as I get older (I'm 47) I find I have to be careful with my knees.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I've not done it but I've read that people say its tough on the knees. I know as I get older (I'm 47) I find I have to be careful with my knees.

Yes, I do have this concern. I have not had any knee problems yet but I am very conscious of form to try and prevent it. But it's a lot harder to maintain form in repeated jumping. I gotta admit the fact that not too many people my age seem to have done it make me think twice.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could do it but not everyday- leave a rest day in between or do some upper body strength training.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and have done Insanity several times. Sometimes staying with the programs schedule and sometimes doing a hybrid with TurboFire, P90X or Asylum.

It is an intense program...but with Beach Body's money back guarentee you've got nothing to lose!! (I've also returned things to Beach Body and been completely satisfied with the customer service)

Having done TurboFire a couple of times, I would say it is a nice pre cursor (sp?) to Insanity. TF is not as intense...but will get you ready for Insanity! You can always modify the routines to fit your ability level too.....NO FEAR!!

Good Luck!