Protien Ideas

Options
gmvanloo
gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
So I'm really working on lowering my carb intake and increasing my protien. I seem to do better with eating 4-5 smaller meals a day (300-400 calories). Due to some high cholesteral readings lately I'm restricted on what I can eat - they basically told me to stay away from anything that comes out of a bag or wrapped. That being said, there are obviously some items that don't apply. Since my numbers came back I have cut out protein bars - not sure if that was the right thing to do or not but honestly protien bars don't make me feel that well and I don't love them.

Here are some things I've been eating:

Cottage cheese with salsa and avocado - yummy
Peanut Butter - but so high in fat
I drink a shake every morning - I have it in the morning b/c I can prepare it home. I'm picky about shakes and protein powder so it's not something I can do without a blender.

I obviously know the normal things like chicken, tuna, etc. Just wanting to some things that are easy and fast. I do have an 8-5 job so I need things that I can bring with and don't need tons of preperation.

Also, just wanting some solid advice on protein bars! What do you guys think about those in general - stick with them or keep them out?

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Soy beans. You can buy a frozen bag, boil in water with a litte salt. They are packed with protein, easy to transport, quick to make, and can enjoy hot or cold.
  • gmvanloo
    Options
    Soy beans. You can buy a frozen bag, boil in water with a litte salt. They are packed with protein, easy to transport, quick to make, and can enjoy hot or cold.

Good idea! Thanks. I buy edamame in the pod but I know I can buy them out of the pod. I love them with just a little salt!

I'll write that down!
  • Chuck1223
    Chuck1223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    How about hard boiled egg whites; it's quick and easy and also portable. :happy:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    All lentils and legumes are full of protein, although they do have quite a few carbs as well.
    Yogurt is good,
    Tofu,
    Tempeh,
    Milk
    egg whites
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Find some grass finished or pastured beef and pork too. Tofu is awesome when you saute it and get the outside a little crisp. Soy beans can be added to a salad. Most any bean will work in a salad too. Look for pastured eggs too.

Eat food. Not a lot. Mostly plants.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I also like to eat 4 - 5 small meals a day and work a full-time job. I love to eat and prefer a small meal rather than a snack.
    The key for me is preparing my meals the night before. It is time consuming, but planning ahead really helps me stay on track with my calorie goals as well as get in all the nutrition that I want for the day.

* Make a healthy, ground turkey meatloaf - you can slice off 3 or 4oz for any meal of the day. I will typically have a serving of meatloaf paired up with some steamed or stir-fry veggies that I've made the night before. You can freeze individual portions of the meatloaf and pull them out when you need them.

* Ground Chicken or Turkey patties - same with the meatloaf, use or freeze as needed.

* Stir-frys - any of your favorite veggies (using Pam or a litle olive oil) and throw in some of your usual protein (shrimp, chicken, etc)

I sometimes make the stir-fry and dice the veggies up small and then scoop it into a lettuce leaf to make a yummy wrap! I also always try to sneak in some extra nutrients into my patties & meatloaf (ground flax seed, pureed spinach or broccoli, diced peppers, etc.)

People think I eat like a pig at work because I come in with my bag of tupperware containers. But, I have everything pre-made and ready to go for each meal. And I guarantee that the 3 or 4 meals I bring to work contain less calories than what most eat for their lunch!

As far as protein bars - They are a processed/packaged food. So, in that sense, they could be considered "bad". However, I feel they are great to have on hand in a pinch. I don't think they should be part of a daily routine. But, they are great for an easy, portable source of fuel. I always choose a bar that has a decent amount of protein (over 10grams) and not a lot of sugar added.
    But, If you don't love them and they don't make you feel well, then there's no reason you should eat them! You aren't missing out on anything!
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    the fat in Natural PB is a healthy fat (in moderation as anything)...

Wild Salmon is high in protein
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Certain cereals like Kashi Go Lean, whole grain bread, cheese, nuts, milk. I have the opposite problem and have to limit myself to 48 protein each day due to seven kidney stones I have. It is very difficult to get my 1270 calories without going over the protein. It seems to be in everything. I have switched from skim milk to almond milk which has helped, but I can not eat meat for two meals in a day. It stinks. You should also be careful doing high protein/low carbs. Weight comes off, but comes back when you stop.
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    Greek yogurt... Fage is my favorite. 20 grams of protein in a cup (1 serving) of Fage 0%. It's so good and creamy it's hard to believe it's fat free.
  • sweetrevenge
    Options

Are these the same yummy beans in the green pods that they have at sushi restaurants? (sorry, if this question seems silly)
  • cardswimmom
    Options
    I also work @ a desk job and I like to pack turkey or chicken (all natural sliced, or left over grilled) rolled in a romaine lettuce leaf. Kind of like a wrap w/o the bread. You can add other veggies or cheese as well. I also enjoy a handful of raw natural almonds as another alternative.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    red kidney beans, black beans ( not as high as kidney beans :sad: )
    mixed nuts seasoned with cinnamon (not salt)
    why not try to make your own protein bar?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying CLIF builders protein bar - 20g protein.
    270 cals and is (44%C-30%P-26%F)
  • gmvanloo
    Options
    Certain cereals like Kashi Go Lean, whole grain bread, cheese, nuts, milk. I have the opposite problem and have to limit myself to 48 protein each day due to seven kidney stones I have. It is very difficult to get my 1270 calories without going over the protein. It seems to be in everything. I have switched from skim milk to almond milk which has helped, but I can not eat meat for two meals in a day. It stinks. You should also be careful doing high protein/low carbs. Weight comes off, but comes back when you stop.

I'm definitely not trying to do a high protein low carb diet. I'm looking at doing 45/35/20. I workout about 2 hours a day 6 days a week so carbs are crucial. The issue is that they think my LDL is high due to my body not processing "bad" carbs very well. Therefore that's what I've been trying to lay off of.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options

Are these the same yummy beans in the green pods that they have at sushi restaurants? (sorry, if this question seems silly)

Yes, you got it. But if you make them yourself you can control how much salt is added...you really don't need much.
  • jawolfe
    jawolfe Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi gmreber! I have to agree that protein bars are filled with crap, only in an emergency setting do I reach for one and I can't really think of the last time I had to. It's just as simple to grab a handful of raw almonds and 1/2 an apple. I follow Tosca Reno's guidelines for clean eating and also (try to) eat 5-6 small meals a day, with a lean protrein at each one (this is key!). The lean protein options for me are:
    chicken breast (trader joe's sells precooked, so it's simple)
    tuna, salmon, other
    raw almonds or walnuts, just not too many
    no fat greek yogurt
    legumes cooked and added to a meal or edamame, like others mentioned
    baked tofu (again I buy this premade at the grocery so it's really easy to open up and add to a meal)
    hardboiled eggs ( I go thru a ridiculous amount of these!) or cooked egg whites
    quinoa (this grain is high in protein so I add it to any grain or legume when I cook it)
    turkey meatballs (you can precook these over the wkd and through them into meals or snacks all week)
    homemade protein bars (there a lots of recipes on line for clean protein bars)

Best of luck to you!