Gaining Weight..not Losing help!!

Options
I've only been doing this for about a week. I had two bad days..one where I went about 300 over and one where I went 500 over. I knew I messed up and regret it but i didn't think it'd make me gain 3.5lbs. I've also been working out. Not a lot but I'm doing what I can. I figured some is better than none. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? :frown:

Replies

• mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Your probably holding in water. I had gained 2lbs working out last week when I started (191), 2 days ago I was 193 and today I dropped to 186. Dont get discouraged, its only been a week!!!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    1 week is not long enough to judge your progress or lack there of
  • Heather4275
    Heather4275 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Drink water it makes a big difference, and stick at it, you are making a lifestyle change which will take time.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Yup.

Keep at it.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing - do the best you can every day and don't quit!
  • mburlina86
    Options
    Same Boat...jump in! I did everything right for a whole week, stayed in my calories and worked out 3 times more than I usually did....I didn't even lose an ounce! It's hard to take BUT like others have said....a week can't prove that it isn't going to work! Keep your head up! :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Keep the calorie counts as stable as you can for at least three weeks, then evaluate.
  • luperaz
    luperaz Posts: 26
    Options

Totally agree. and 500 calories over isn't even enough to gain any weight. in a day.
    There is no quick fix to weight loss. If you do not lose anything in a month then you are doing it wrong.
  • JenniNBond
    JenniNBond Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My body seems to try and trick me into quitting... I know it sounds crazy but I keep at it and after a couple of weeks will drop like 6 or 7 lbs. Keep it up - it will be worth it!
  • akgordoa
    Options
    The only thing you're doing wrong is setting yourself up to quit by having unrealistic expectations. It's work and patience honey. My advice is just do what you do, and forget the rest. One day you'll wake up to scratch your *kitten* and reach a little higher than you remember. Lol just don't give up.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    it depends the amount of work and time you have to put into this and its really hard to judge your progress in just a week. changing your eating alone is not going to make you lose weight. you have to increase your activity too. the more you move the more your going to burn calories to give you the weight loss your aiming for.
  • squishymissay
    squishymissay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My body seems to try and trick me into quitting... I know it sounds crazy but I keep at it and after a couple of weeks will drop like 6 or 7 lbs. Keep it up - it will be worth it!

Hoping you're right, becaue I'm ready to throw in the towl after 2 weeks of hard work and 2.5 pounds gained. Total crap!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your sodium intake is, but after looking at your diary that might be the issue. More sodium means more water, so your body will hold onto it like a baby to a bottle. Try some low sodium days and drink lots of water, it will probably come down.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It's common to gain some initial weight when making changes to your diet or exercise routine. It's just water, though, and it will go away. Give it at least six weeks before you make any conclusions or changes.
  • squishymissay
    squishymissay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I really hope you guys are right, because I'm in the same boat. Following the diet plan and working out for an hour a day since new years. Had a gain of 2.5 pounds and it makes me want to give up.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It could be because (1) you retained water (2) you got your monthly visitor or (3) you gained muscle.
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Also, take it one day at a time. If you mess up one day, vow to do better the next and move on. If you beat yourself up over mistakes, you can fall into the trap of saying "well, I screwed up yesterday, so the whole week (month, etc...) is ruined. This is completely not true. You have a choice...you can get to the end of the week and say "I screwed up once, but my other efforts have me on track," or you can say, "I gave up halfway through the week, blew it, gained weight and now I have to start over worse than I started to begin with." I feel it is a way to reframe your thinking in a way that can set you up for success and not failure.

This works for me. It has worked for me for 150 days so far. Only thing I'm certain of is I'll get through today, and most likely tomorrow. I'm already healthier than I was, and if I keep it up (even with mistakes), I'll be better off than I would be had I not worked at it at all. Good luck!
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You have to eat 3,500 calories over your maintenance calorie needs to gain 1 pound...it's probably just water (or maybe a little muscle :wink: ) don't worry you're doing just fine... !!!!!!
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your sodium intake is, but after looking at your diary that might be the issue. More sodium means more water, so your body will hold onto it like a baby to a bottle. Try some low sodium days and drink lots of water, it will probably come down.

^^ this, too!