eating your calories

Options
2»

Replies

• dazleyj
    dazleyj Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It would be really cool if there was a place that listed takeout places and quality menu choices for people trying to eat right. Thanks for suggestions thus far.
  • dazleyj
    Options
    Haha, you saw my profile pic.... well, i went down form 3 creamers and 3 sugar to 1 cream and 2 sugars, and i'm already WIRED haha anymore and i might run up a wall. :)
    Drink more Timmies! lol, large reg is 140 cals right there!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I agree with Wendy. Even now I have seen people telling others to toss out food because it is "bad" for you. The best thing to do is research where you go for takeout normally. Most places list the menu with nutrition facts on their website, so you will know what to get before you even go.
  • dazleyj
    Options
    I opened up my food diary thingy if you wanna see it perhaps to offer suggestions based on hard data, i track everything. except some lifting, kinda cumbersome to put weight reps and which...
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    2900 is pretty easy in all honesty--

1 pound of salmon = 600-900 calories depending on type (wild vs farmed vs smoked, etc)
    1 serving pasta = 210
    1 tbsp oil = 120
    1 cup broccoli = 30
    2 tbsp parmesan cheese = 60

Make salmon. Sauteed, seared, baked...whatever (If i can eat a pound so can you..I'm 1/2 your size). Then make pasta, toss with oil, parm, and cooked broccoli.

= 1020-1320 calories in 1 meal or heck--if you insist have 8 oz salmon and make an equivalent portion of pasta for a 2nd meal (you'd have 720-870 calories per meal x 2 = 1440-1740 total for say lunch/dinner..sub out 1/2 the salmon for steak and you're at the same calorie amount)

Shake:
    1.5 cups whole milk (225)
    1 banana (100)
    2 tbsp pb (190)
    2 scoops protein powder (260)
    = 775 calories

Breakfast:
    3 eggs (240)
    1 tbsp butter (100 --to cook your eggs)
    1 serving oatmeal (150)
    1 scoop protein powder in oatmeal (130--makes it sweet but gives you protein)
    = 620 calories

Grand total = 2835-3135. Pretty sweet eh?

You can modify the first meal to make 1/2 the salmon steak, or chicken, or what have you and change the pasta to rice, add mixed veggies and an egg for fried rice.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    not sure if somebody mentioned that already
    but you don't need to eat them back during the same day. If 1000k burn happens only once a week, you can eat back 150 kcal per day...
    just add 150 kcal to your daily allowance
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

1 pound of salmon = 600-900 calories depending on type (wild vs farmed vs smoked, etc)
    1 serving pasta = 210
    1 tbsp oil = 120
    1 cup broccoli = 30

Make salmon. Sauteed, seared, baked...whatever (If i can eat a pound so can you..I'm 1/2 your size). Then make pasta, toss with oil, parm, and cooked broccoli.

= 1020-1320 calories in 1 meal or heck--if you insist have 8 oz salmon and make an equivalent portion of pasta for a 2nd meal (you'd have 720-870 calories per meal x 2 = 1440-1740 total for say lunch/dinner..sub out 1/2 the salmon for steak and you're at the same calorie amount)

Shake:
    1 banana (100)
    2 tbsp pb (190)
    = 775 calories

Breakfast:
    3 eggs (240)
    1 serving oatmeal (150)
    = 620 calories

You can modify the first meal to make 1/2 the salmon steak, or chicken, or what have you and change the pasta to rice, add mixed veggies and an egg for fried rice.

Come make me meals please!!! *swoon*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    On days that I know I'm going to have a big burn, I plan a big meal around that. For example, if I go on a good hike in the mountains, I can burn off a couple thousand calories per my HRM If I'm going at a good clip...on days like this, I just plan to eat big...you can eat big and still eat healthy.

One of my go to dinners and a day like this is braised short ribs...I'll have around 8-10 oz of the beef short ribs that have been braised in low sodium broth and cabernet with a serving of horseradish mashed potatoes and roasted brocolli. This meal usualy comes our around 1,200 calories with a whopping 94 grams of protein (to help aid recovery), only 466 mg of sodium but a whopping 983 grams + of potassium. The saturated fat is a bit high, but I don't worry about it as much since I've just busted my but climbing a mountain. In most respects, this is a nutritious meal...unless I was just sitting on my butt, then it would be horrible. It's all relative.
  • dazleyj
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the meal plan :) That sounds delicious!

1 serving pasta = 210
    1 tbsp oil = 120
    1 cup broccoli = 30

Shake:
    1 banana (100)
    2 tbsp pb (190)
    = 775 calories

Breakfast:
    3 eggs (240)
    1 serving oatmeal (150)
    = 620 calories

• dazleyj
    Options
    So basically, if i work hard, i shouldnt feel guilty about eating sufficiently. Got it :) thanks! :)
    On days that I know I'm going to have a big burn, I plan a big meal around that. For example, if I go on a good hike in the mountains, I can burn off a couple thousand calories per my HRM If I'm going at a good clip...on days like this, I just plan to eat big...you can eat big and still eat healthy.

One of my go to dinners and a day like this is braised short ribs...I'll have around 8-10 oz of the beef short ribs that have been braised in low sodium broth and cabernet with a serving of horseradish mashed potatoes and roasted brocolli. This meal usualy comes our around 1,200 calories with a whopping 94 grams of protein (to help aid recovery), only 466 mg of sodium but a whopping 983 grams + of potassium. The saturated fat is a bit high, but I don't worry about it as much since I've just busted my but climbing a mountain. In most respects, this is a nutritious meal...unless I was just sitting on my butt, then it would be horrible. It's all relative.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Nuts of any kind are a great way to throw in a big calorie boost while still eating relatively healthy. Cashew, Peanuts, Almonds, etc all have a relatively high calorie content for their volume. They also have plenty of protein, Omega three fats and other goodies that your body loves. Also, honestly, when you have that many calories, don't be shy about having a Snickers bar if you like them. Sure there's some extra sugar but overall they can actually be a really good recovery food after a heavy duty workout. That also reminds me, chocolate milk!! Another great recovery food that can get you a good jump on calories without having to stuff your face.

Hope that's helpful.
  • dazleyj
    Options
    Thanks guys n gals. I have my first weigh in today at my gym......we'll c how it goes lol.