Sugar Addiction

Options
Help! I have been trying to kick this sugar addiction I have and can't do it on my own. I don't even realize when I'm eating it, sometimes I look back on my day and realize how much I've eaten and can't believe it. Prime example, I ate 6 boxes of girl guide cookies TO MYSELF within 3 weeks. Any advice please?

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Stop buying the cookie goodness. STOP. If you don't have it you cant use it right? There are things I can eat boxes of and what do I do, I don't buy them, therefore I do not overeat.
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if it's not in the house you wont eat it. Sounds simple, but it really isnt.

I had a potato chip addiction. Seriously. I'd eat 2-3 family size bags a day and I can still eat a large quantity after my weight loss surgery. My only option is to NEVER have them around. I cant have just one serving.

If you dont have sugary sweets around, you cant eat them. Try and avoid buying them. I even went so far as to leave my money, debit card, and credit cards at home for a long while so I wouldnt be tempted to buy chips at work or when I'm out.
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have this problem and the only way I can deal with it is to not eat sugary stuff at all. I avoid all confectionery because I can't handle it. I take it one day at a time as I think alcoholics do that and I constantly remind myself that I am "powerless over sugar" as the alcoholics probably do re alcohol. I am not an alcoholic thank goodness but I think that is how alcoholics cope - by taking it one day at a time. At this time of year it is a struggle but for the most part I don't have a problem abstaining from it totally. If you can do it for a few days the craving goes- it really does. This might not be the best week to try to go cold turkey though- wait until new year- try not to buy the stuff and take it one day at a time- occasionally I binge but not that much as I constantly remind myself that "just one won't do and 10 won't be enough" It's sad to have to admit that but I believe in dealing with the reality I am faced with and it is for the most part working for me. This week is very challenging. I have a house full of goodies crying out to me. I had to buy/bake them as I have a family to enjoy Christmas with who do not have my addiction and should not be deprived of Christmas goodies because of it- but it's hard. I hope I won't give in and binge but if I do I'll forgive myself- move on and start another day.
  • JSharpe2013
    Options
    I have no problem not buying this stuff, its at work, so it results in pure will power....if someone is selling boxes of cookies for thier kids they will walk around and offer ONE cookie to people to get them to buy....there is always free cookies, cake and sweets in our lunchroom....all free and all sitting out in the open.
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have no problem not buying this stuff, its at work, so it results in pure will power....if someone is selling boxes of cookies for thier kids they will walk around and offer ONE cookie to people to get them to buy....there is always free cookies, cake and sweets in our lunchroom....all free and all sitting out in the open.

My work is the same. People always bring in food.

The 28th is going to be "junk food day" - and what does that mean to me??? Chips galore! Get used to saying no. It's hard because you dont want to hurt anyone's feelings especially if you've purchased cookies/chocolates in the past but it'll get easier to say no as time goes on.

I also find people feel they need to justify why they're saying no. I see it here at work all the time. I dont do that anymore. I just say "no, thank you" and that's the end of it.

ETA: I also now eat lunch at my desk and avoid the lunch room because of all the food that's laying about. Are you able to do that or do you HAVE TO eat in the lunchroom? It would be less stressful to have a place where you can eat in peace and no have to look/smell tempting foods.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, for a long time. This time, when I really decided it was time to become healthy, I just pretty much cut out all of the sugary stuff. It was hard at first, but not for very long, and now I do not miss it at all. In fact, if I do decide to have a cookie or bite of something sugary, it does not even taste good anymore. Some people do well with moderation, and allowing themselves treats here and there, and some people do better just avoiding the stuff. For me avoidance was certainly the answer.
  • Eeyore_Chick
    Eeyore_Chick Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't keep much at home for cookies & candy as OH is diabetic & just as much of a food junkie as I am - if it's not there we won't eat it...but I have a similar challenge at work however there's a table set out within my unit at work (right by where we take all our paperwork & such) - I find it can be REALLY challanging to avoid - to the point there are times I'll let paperwork stack up for a day & only go past when I'm doing a quick run by to the washroom so I'm not tempted to stop & see what looks tastey & so non-nutritious... the worst part is that the person who's cube the table of treats is set up on is on a healthy eating kick & they bring it in so that it's not around at the house to temp them...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Help! I have been trying to kick this sugar addiction I have and can't do it on my own. I don't even realize when I'm eating it, sometimes I look back on my day and realize how much I've eaten and can't believe it. Prime example, I ate 6 boxes of girl guide cookies TO MYSELF within 3 weeks. Any advice please?

check yourself into a sugar detox clinic ASAP, I think Obamacare covers it now so you're all good costwise
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Purge your cupboards---if it's not there you won't be so tempted. Stock your cupboards and fridge with healthy alternatives and portion controlled items that you can grab quickly when you need something. Sugar addiction is hard to overcome but if you can stay the course you'll be glad you did. By switching to all non processed foods the transition will be quicker---there is alot of hidden sugars in processed foods. I went to a very "clean" diet for a few weeks, lean meat, fish, fresh or frozen vegetables and limited carbs. I feel amazing. The only "sweet" I have now is fresh fruit or my 2 tsp of Buckwheat honey per day (40 calories) loaded with nutrition. I also drink only water, coffee or tea --I haven't consumed more than 2 sodas a year for the last several years. I would rather eat my calories than drink them. I do not use artificial sugars either---they say it just makes you crave more sugary foods. Good luck. :smile: