Number of calories for Breakfast

Options

Replies

• mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    Did I say I was passing judgement? No, I do not believe I did. All I did ws offer my opinion and concern. This is a public forum and we are all on here for support and to talk to others. If your feelings get hurt, well then I am sorry.

you did the right thing - there's clearly something wrong with her numbers....otherwise she would have experienced more than zero weightloss.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I try not to go below 300 and no higher than 500. I've also heard biggest meal at breakfast, smaller lunch, smallest dinner and I try to do this...but the numbers are never exactly the same because I like variety. :happy: Check out my diary for ideas!
  • anybristow
    Options
    Usually right under 400, I have a smoothie I make that keeps me nice and full til lunch
  • Dreya
    Dreya Posts: 12
    Options
    Usually right under 400, I have a smoothie I make that keeps me nice and full til lunch

Smoothies are one of my faves breakfasts. Yum!
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. Your daily goal is 3,220 calories!!! :noway: That seems extremely HIGH and I do not think you are going to see weight loss or a change in your body if you are consuming that many calories and especially breakfasts at 700-1100 calories :noway:

I write this out of concern for you and your health.

That is very kind of you to be concerned, however, that is a realistic goal for her. As she is unable to afford strict medical attention slow and easy is the way for her. At my heaviest I would have been close to her calorie goal. The stress the body is under at that point is enough to burn those calories plus give her the 3500 calorie deficit. If she tried to go any lower it would probably feel like a "diet" instead of a "change in lifestyle". 700 calories for breakfast would be 25% of total calories, which is what most of us use in the morning.

I am responding just for educational purposes.
  • LycraLegs
    LycraLegs Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Always under 300, usually under 250 calories. I eat what I have always eaten, except now it is portioned! (cereal)
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    Did I say I was passing judgement? No, I do not believe I did. All I did ws offer my opinion and concern. This is a public forum and we are all on here for support and to talk to others. If your feelings get hurt, well then I am sorry.

you did the right thing - there's clearly something wrong with her numbers....otherwise she would have experienced more than zero weightloss.

THANKS!!! Seems like I got a lot of people ticked off for being concerned about her high intake. Don't see why everyone got so defensive...geesh...
  • sweetrevenge
    Options

Smoothies are one of my faves breakfasts. Yum!

Totally agree!! LOVE smoothies!!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's a 1000 cal deficit for her,,, who knows? It does seem like a lot. I'm a 205lb moderately active guy on 1lb a week reduce, and I'm only eating 2000.

I generally have 350ish for b'fast, then another couple hundred on fruit or granola when I get to work, so about 600 before lunch, and about 1/3rd of my daily.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    to put things in perspective and why there was a good reason for concern: a 6' 10" female that is 25 yrs old and weighs 500 lbs will have a BMR just under 3,100 calories.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Major FYI everyone: just because someone is eating 3000 calories a day and using MFP, does NOT mean that MFP gave them those numbers. Which means that all of you who mentioned "trusting" MFP are most likely uninformed about how this site works. You can customize your own caloric needs (which is what I do) as I think 1200 net calories is too little for me...even though I'm 128 and 5' 3 3/4". So the system is not necessarily telling her to eat that many calories...she could be customizing her own goals.

Not judging what she does/doesn't do, but it irks me when people pretend they know how this site works and they don't. If you're going by what MFP recommends, then fine...but MFP doesn't know you or your body and your own needs may be different that when it deems them to be. Don't be ignorant and stick with 1200 because MFP recommends it.

Back to the subject...I eat between 270-350 calories for breakfast. Ideally, I'd love to hit 400+ but I'm not super hungry in the morning.
  • seventeenlucky77
    seventeenlucky77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Like 255 calories for breakfast here. 1 cup of cereal like Raisin Bran or Cheerios, half a medium/small banana and 1 cup of skim/fat free milk. I am usually full until around 11:30.

By big issue is being hungry between lunch and dinner. I try to keep it to strawberries, carrots, 100 cal popcorn or something like that but I am so easily tempted here at the office and the girls and I are always talking about food.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    And then a hush fell over the land? Please?
  • msspriss
    msspriss Posts: 14
    Options
    I just started trying to eat breakfast, it is around 200-250 calories. I include everythiing I eat before lunch as "breakfast", which includes a midmorning snack around 100 calories.
  • newbierun14
    newbierun14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I usually stay between 200-250. I find if I have something high in fiber first thing, it sticks for a long time so I don't get hungry. My favorite thing right now is plan oatmeal with a tbls of nutella mixed in. yummmm.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I split my breakfast into two because I get a very early start to work:
    Either egg on toast with portabello mushroom or omelette or something similar at 5:30am (~200-250cals)
    and then either oats or high fibre cereal at 7:30am (~180cal)
    for a total of 380-430 breakfast cals :D
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,722 Member
    Options
    431. I eat the same thing every day: 3/4 cup (dry) old-fashioned oats, 1 cup 1% organic milk, 3 egg whites, 1 egg yolk
  • allykat8
    Options

I know! I didn't know I was going to cause a drama filled topic. Lord I would not have said anything if I knew people were so senstive. This is a public forum where people offer advice, help, and opinions. Take it or leave it. I don't think I nor anyone else said we were 100% correct!
  • allykat8
    Options

I know! I didn't know I was going to cause a drama filled topic. Lord I would not have said anything if I knew people were so senstive. This is a public forum where people offer advice, help, and opinions. Take it or leave it. I don't think I nor anyone else said we were 100% correct!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    if i'm working out before lunch, 350-450

if not, about 300