The deal with oatmeal

Options
I have eaten oatmeal for breakfast off and on for several years. I like the fact that it keeps me full. Recently, i overheard my nutrition obsessed boss talking about how bad it is because of all the carbs and sugar. I dont believe that there are many "bad" foods out there - everything in moderation. I recently joined MFP and logged my oatmeal breakfast and it packs approximatly 300 calories (not bad for breakfast), but has a whopping 57 carbs associated with it. I usually eat 1/2 cup oats, 1 tbs honey, and 1/2 banana. Thoughts on the value of oatmeal vs other breakfasts?

Replies

• JayRod2519
    JayRod2519 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast everyday, before joining MFP. I wouldn't measure it out, and would liquify it with milk. I would add about a 2 TBS of peanut butter, a cup of frozen berries, and a whole banana. A lot of carbs there.
    Since joining MFP, I eat it once a week (on my weigh in day, nonetheless). I eat 1/2 cup, liquify with water, 1 TBS of peanut butter, and EITHER a cup of frozen berrie or a banana (not both).
    Bottom line, I love oatmeal, and will not stop eating it. I know it's higher in carbs, but I tend to make up for that with lunch and dinner on the day I eat it. It is always my highest calorie breakfast, but only once a week.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Love it, eat it all the time. My goal isn't anti carb though. (there are some people that are also anti banana for this reason) Moderation in all things is my motto and if a piece of fruit or a bowl of oatmeal is off limits, I fail to see the moderation in that.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends... first your diet and how the carbs/sugar effect you. It may be a bad choice for some people (some diabetics for example) but ok for others. Second if you buy prepackaged oatmeal it may end up having a lot more sugar/carbs/additives than if you buy the regular oats and add in your own toppings.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    What type of oatmeal do you eat? If it's the old-fashioned cook on the stove type, you're probably fine. However, if it's instant in those little packets, then you might be eating more sugar than you would like.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a metabolic issue with carbs, such as diabetes, there's nothing wrong with them.
    Even if you do have an issue, they can still be a part of a healthy diet, but you have to follow your prescribed diet and monitor.
  • Mich3ll36
    Options
    when i have diverticulitis attacks, i live on oatmeal but i lose a ton of weight with it to. However, i dont really count carbs. Carbs dont seem to affect me much.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have eaten oatmeal for breakfast off and on for several years. I like the fact that it keeps me full. Recently, i overheard my nutrition obsessed boss talking about how bad it is because of all the carbs and sugar. I dont believe that there are many "bad" foods out there - everything in moderation. I recently joined MFP and logged my oatmeal breakfast and it packs approximatly 300 calories (not bad for breakfast), but has a whopping 57 carbs associated with it. I usually eat 1/2 cup oats, 1 tbs honey, and 1/2 banana. Thoughts on the value of oatmeal vs other breakfasts?

My thought is that the nutritional value (both calorically and macro/micro) of your entire diet (as a whole) is important. Whether or not an individual meal has "value" is pretty irrelevant outside of the context of the diet.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Hi, as per a friend of mine who is a nutritionist- amazing for you! As long as it's made on the stove and not in those little packets. It also has to be plain diluted with water, not milk.

I use to add cinnimon for the sweetness and a bit of honey and sometimes apples or a banana. I don't eat it anymore because I have breakfast at work and refuse to eat the crappy stuff in the packets.

If you put cinnimon, it helps boost your matabolism.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options

The problem isn't the oatmeal... it's the honey and banana... unless you've got some reason to stay away from carbs, though.... I don't see any issues.

If you don't want the carbs, don't add extras to it. Simple as that.
  • ROSE_arc
    Options
    No instant packets for me. I would have to eat about 4 of them to feel full anyways!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Carbs are good. They give you energy. Your body needs carbs. Ignore fad dieters and enjoy your oatmeal!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Agree with MaryPatMcCue and SideSteel!

What is your carb ratio goal? I sometimes have oatmeal for breakfast, or for a snack/treat, and I'm going for no more than 40% carb—so I just balance it out the rest of the day.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every day. Love it! I use regular oats and pile in the fruit (1/2 apple, raisens, 1/4 cup pineapple, dried unsweetened coconut) and while it's got 87 or so carbs it's not like I'm eating a candy bar or something. It's got 13 grams of fiber and aside from a small amount (1 tsp) of brown sugar) I figure the carbs from fruits aren't doing me that much harm. I'm trying to get in more fruits and vegetables anyway so this helps. Oh and it's made with water not milk.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with oatmeal, is the better it tastes, the less healthy it is. Real oatmeal made with water makes me want to gag. Adding milk, fruit, honey, sugar etc improves the taste, but now it is a carb feast. I have PCOS, so a lot of carbs aren't my friend. One positive is, that it is high and fiber. Still I just skip oatmeal and eat cream of wheat instead when I want hot cereal. Less carbs, doesn't need all the toppings to taste great (I just use unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon) and if I want a protein boost I add a scoop of protein powder.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Bull Hockey!!! One of my Fav meals. I eat 1 pkg,Quaker maple Brown sugar(lower sugar type) mixed with water not milk And some type of fruit. no extra milk, sugar or any thing. & 1/2 bagel thin with 1-2 teaspoons PB on it. Carbs for my oatmeal? 24g My other cereal I like has 25 grams. You have to look & compare to other things you would be eating, 24g isn't high at all :noway:
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every day. Love it! I use regular oats and pile in the fruit (1/2 apple, raisens, 1/4 cup pineapple, dried unsweetened coconut) and while it's got 87 or so carbs it's not like I'm eating a candy bar or something. It's got 13 grams of fiber and aside from a small amount (1 tsp) of brown sugar) I figure the carbs from fruits aren't doing me that much harm. I'm trying to get in more fruits and vegetables anyway so this helps. Oh and it's made with water not milk.

87 carbs is almost my whole day. I figure why use up all those carbs on oatmeal, when a better tasting breakfast like pancakes or french toast has less.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't eat oatmeal or any other grains. Personally, my experience has proven to me that it is not healthy. However, if you enjoy it, then eat it and don't worry about what your boss, or anyone else has to say. Perhaps if you experiment with your own body and put in thousands of hours of research beyond the generally-accepted health advice, like I have, maybe you'll make your own discoveries.

I don't usually eat breakfast anyway, so I don't need to find "filling" breakfast foods. However, last week I was hungry in the morning once and had half of an avocado and I was full on that for 5 hours. Since omiting grains, I only need to eat when truly hungry (I used to binge uncontrollably). No more struggles or needing to "fill up" with low cal foods. Strange, but true.
  • ROSE_arc
    Options
    Carb breakdown:

Plain dry oats 1/2 cup - 24

1/2 banana - 13

1tsb honey - 17
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Meh, oatmeal is fine if you are conscious about the ingredients being piled in to it. It's very easy to go overboard. However, it's also a good package to sneak extra protein, fiber and healthy fats in to your breakfast easily. I'll add some egg whites or protein powder in there from some protein (thus slowing the sugar release in to my blood stream, and I stay full for longer), nuts/nut butter or coconut for fat, fruit/cacao powder/canned pumpkin/coffee/cinnamon/dark chocolate bits for an extra little flavor (try not to overload). Some days the carb count for breakfast is over 60, and the calorie count can top 500. I limit my carbs for the remainder of the day, and eat considerably smaller meals late in the day. It's all about how you balance it, and how you prepare it.

I would suggest having more options than just oatmeal every morning, however. It's always nice to have variety. For a lower carb breakfast, it's pretty easy to throw something together with eggs and veggies.