healthy popcorn

Options

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    An air popper.

I once tried to pop it on the stove in a pot WITHOUT the oil and it was an epic failure, unless you like burned popcorn that only half pops!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    All popcorn that's not like butterfilled is pretty healthy. Smartpop makes smaller bags at 100 calories each, I really like newmans own tender white, it's not oily at all and not bad for you, the only hard part is not eating the whole bag! but it does fill you up.

Also, already popped popcorn brands can be good, one called Skinny pop in particular.
  • CaPurcell
    CaPurcell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HOT AIR POPPER! Hadn't used one in so long but it's awesome. You can spray it with Vegatable Spray and lightly apply any salt or cheese that you want (or NOT).
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I put my popcorn kernels in a brown paper bag... those lunch bag types.... then microwave for 3 to 5 minutes. I usually set my microwave for 5 minutes and take it out when I don't hear anymore popping going on. NO oil needed.

Usually 1/4 cup of kernels is enough.

I've done this as well. I do stir the kernels in a tiny bit of oil, say 1/2 tsp if I am going to add sea salt, but no oil is necessary.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    My latest thing. 1/4 cup Airpopped with 1/2 tablespoon "I can't believe it's not butter" and 2 grams of popcorn seasoning (like, Parmesan cheese, or white cheddar). Toss in a bowl and shake. ENJOY!! :-D
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I use a hot air popper too. It is a low calorie, high fiber snack. Especially if you eat it plain.
    I sometimes use a micro planer and grate some parmesan cheese over it. It adds calories, but not that many.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Ditto to putting plain kernels in a brown paper lunch bag and popping in the microwave. I didn't even know you could do that until I read it somewhere here on mfp. It totally works and no oil or special hot air popper is needed.

Really want to try this, but I have no idea where to find the right bags in the Uk.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    good to know. i feel like the oil it pops in kills it

I eat the weight watchers popcorn. It has only 110 calories. :smile:

2 cups of plain popcorn popped in oil has about 30. Most of the oil resides in the pan. A very low percentage is transferred to the popped kernel

Besides, I use coconut oil for popping popcorn. It has a good flavor and it si a healthy oil.
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Microwave Smartpop by Orville Redenbacher. It is 94% fat free and tasty!

7popped cups (40g) has
    130 calories
    2g of fat.
    130mg of sodium
    4g of Fibre
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i love the popcorn seasonings

My latest thing. 1/4 cup Airpopped with 1/2 tablespoon "I can't believe it's not butter" and 2 grams of popcorn seasoning (like, Parmesan cheese, or white cheddar). Toss in a bowl and shake. ENJOY!! :-D
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use an air popper. After the popcorn is popped, I spray it with Pam and then add Kernel Seasons White Cheddar seasoning.
    Sometimes I just eat it plain too. :smile:
  • donnamfreitagross
    Options
    I pop about 1/4 of a cup in a brown paper bag, press the popcorn button or approx, 2min on high
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I use my hot air popper, spritz with olive oil and add nutritional yeast and sweet smoky paprika. Thanks for the suggestion of putting in a bag and shaking... great idea!

I also didn't know about popping in a paper bag... will have to try. For those who do the paper bag method and add coconut oil and seasonings, how do you do it?

thanks!
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I pop loose kernels in a brown paper lunch bag. Fold over the bag a couple times microwave for 2 minutes or so. Viola! Add oil or not. Personally, I add a couple TBSP of butter to mine and bit of sea salt.
  • saramatty
    saramatty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-60120-Microwaver-Popcorn/dp/B00004W4UP/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1358101847&sr=1-5

It pops about 1/8 cup of kernels in the microwave, and honestly it pops better without the oil. I find one batch to be about perfect as a snack for one or two people and my favorite topping is a blend I make with nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt and sesame seeds all ground together into a powder. It's even better with a bit of olive oil, but great without it too.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    For air-popped popcorn, you get 31 calories per cup. If you pop a 1/4 cup of kernels you would get around 8 cups popped which would be 248 calories.

http://www.fitday.com/webfit/nutrition/All_Foods/Snacks_and_Sweets/Popcorn_air_popped_no_butter_or_no_oil_added.html

My boyfriend's grandparents recently threw out an air popper from the 1970s. It's awesomely easy to use but really loud. Check rummage sales if you want one.
  • grahlong
    Options
    Try Graze - they have a range of healthy calorie controlled snacks - including Healthy Popcorn - just had their Twist of Black Pepper Popcorn.

For more details check out - http://www.graze.com/uk/ - they deliver by mail (one or two boxes per week) at a reasonable rate. Good range of snacks all calorie counted .:smile:
  • DancingEllie
    DancingEllie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I asked for a Presto microwave popper for Christmas. It's under $20 and you have the option of with or without oil. I've only used it a couple of times without oil and the popcorn has been great (I do add a bit of spray butter on it to get a bit of salt to stick).

I have one and love it!
  • KetoMomRN
    KetoMomRN Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use the paper bag microwave method too. One TB of olive oil, 1/4 cup kernels and a few shakes of Mrs Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning. Amazing popcorn and most of the oil stays in the paper bag.

I feel silly asking, but how exactly do you keep the bag closed? Do you just fold it over and voila?
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Lots of good ideas...here's my favorite popcorn trick...

Squeeze LIME JUICE all over it and salt it. I love the soaking with butter texture with no calories and tons of flavor!

I use the 100 cal smart pop bags just cuz I'm lazy and don't want to measure. :)