Alternative to Squats?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There is simply no alternative

"There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine, that produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat." - Mark Rippetoe

I am of the Rippetoe persuasion as well. There really isn't an alternative, but leg press would be the closest thing...you're just not getting the full benefit of doing actual squats. Tell that guy to do chinups elsewhere. Is there another gym you could join that has more equipment?
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    leg press is Not an alternative to squats. completely different.
    if one cannot squat for any reason then bulgarian split squats for that day is okay.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Can you do pistol squats?

Harder than RFESS, and worth learnng.

It takes a long time to really get comfortable doing them with good form/no cheating, but once you do they are a great exercise.

They are easy to load with just a little weight. Dumbbells are the best for loading them, hold the DBs in front of your shoulder so one end is resting on your shoulder (makes it easy to microadjust balance, important when working at or near 1RM levels).

Not only are they comparable to a back squat in stregth gains, absolutely nothing will train your balance better.
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would do dumbbell squats with the dumbbells in shoulder press position. You won't be able to hit the same amount of weight but IMHO it's higher intensity at less weight with the dumbbells as you end up engaging additional muscle groups more effectively for stability.

Alternatives can also be deadlifts. Sumo squats with kettleballs, there's just so many squat variations you can do with free weights.
  • serapi
    serapi Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Ok so I just started the Stronglifts program as my strength training routine. The problem I am having is that my gym only has 1 squat rack and I am not the only one lifting (some guys also use it for pull ups) Some days its not a problem and by the time I am done with my other lifts I can use the rack. Other days like today the same guy was using it the entire time I was there. I can't stay longer to wait for the rack to be open because i am lifting on my lunch break at work so I have a set amount of time I can stay. My question is are doing squats with dumbells just as effective (obviously I can't lift as heavy) for the days I can't get to the rack or are there other lifts that I could substitute on such days?

I would try asking the guy nicely if you can work in with him. Most people are pretty good and will shar the machine. You are paying the same membership fees as him.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes. As others said, you should ask to work in. Even if he is doing eight sets, he shouldn't monopolize the rack for more than 20 minutes -- unless he is willing to share. Most people understand this etiquette and are perfectly happy to accommodate.
  • jensnewstart
    jensnewstart Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • adamalada
    Options
    There is simply no alternative

"There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine, that produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat." - Mark Rippetoe

Here here.

Although i have had to modify my program to do legs at the start of the week otherwise cricket at the wkend would be impossible.