Finding Motivation?!

Options
hello all! i'm not new to mfp, but i fell off track for a while. finally, i've got my motivation back, and i'm hoping to lose 40-50 pounds. what are some tips and tricks you all use or have used to find the motivation to stay on top of things? =]

Replies

• melly1039
    Options
    Recently I read a People Magazine article about normal people like us who have lost a ton of weight the healthy way. Maybe that will help.
  • loganrae10
    Options
    I looove reading those success stories. It gives me hope. My problem is, my mind says 'Let's get up and workout!' but my is screaming 'but, i'm so comfy. don't get up." haha. any ideas on how to boost that "get up and go" attitude?
  • melly1039
    Options
    In my experience with exercising, I'm the same way. But you know how exercising releases those endorphins (or whatever it is) ?
    It makes you feel good about yourself. Maybe think about the feeling you get once you begin working out. That's just me.
  • loganrae10
    Options
    That sounds easy enough! =] I have alot of joint pain, so I'm limited to what I can do, and how long I can work out, But I'm hoping that if I keep on doing small intervals, maybe two times a day, I can eventually work my way up to doing those hour long workout sessions.
  • melly1039
    Options
    That sounds like a plan. :)
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Get completely naked and stand in front of a full length mirror.
  • daram05
    daram05 Posts: 80
    Options
    Bump to EVERYTHING MElly said. But, if you're struggling with motivation with workouts, start out with something fun (e.g. ZUMBA classes or water aerobics [sinc eyou have joint pain]). You burn so many calories doing both and you don't even notice it. On top of that, both allow you to pace yourself.

Other than that, set mini weekly goals to conquer and reward yourself once accomplished. I'm a real goal setter, so that keeps me motivated :-)
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    That sounds easy enough! =] I have alot of joint pain, so I'm limited to what I can do, and how long I can work out, But I'm hoping that if I keep on doing small intervals, maybe two times a day, I can eventually work my way up to doing those hour long workout sessions.
    Hun, I am with you on the joint pain! I have been liveing with osteoarthritis of the hips since my early 20's! It really sucks! Do what you can! And feel good about it! Add me if you like! Have you tried heating the sore areas before working out! It helps me!
  • divincenzo1
    Options
    I find it helpful to make a schedule of your workouts ahead of time...that way you hold yourself accountable. I use a day planner. Feel free to friend me :) Looking for as much motivation as possible!!!
  • seafuss
    seafuss Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have you read the blog "One Twenty Five"? It's awesome! Funny, totally really life and incredibly motivational! Thats' actually how I found MFP, and I just love it. Good for you for getting back on the wagon:):smile:
  • farmgirl96
    Options
    I love reading success stories here on mfp. Thats what has gotten me really motivated. I to have fallen off the wagon on mfp. I joined last year, but didn't go anywhere. And this year is different, I'm making myself loose weight. Like I said, I look at success stories. I also think about events this summer I really wanna look good in, and what I want to be able to wear again and not be self concious about what I would be wearing. As for the part about excersing, i'm really hard on myself. And i've found that in the long run, it really , really does help. I only workout via treadmill. When I get on im in the position where i'm not quite sure what I can do today, then within 5 minutes I make a goal. And I stick with it. No matter what. And if my brain starts telling me " you can't do it" or " I should slow down a bit" thats where I will push myself harder by putting up the speed or incline of the treadmill. I just started my second week and those doubts arn't in my head anymore, cause I showed myself I could do it, and more. I still get those instances where its like " I want to .. but i'm comfy where I am" . Thats when it is harder for me to get on the treadmill. But withing the first 10 minutes I am fine. I usually only push myself to 45 minutes but was able to push out a whole 61 minutes. If I didn't, well, I'd still be right where I was before.

Feel free to ad me! I love adding new friends and encouraging them :)
  • 14cphelps
    Options
    Hi, I joined mfp almost 2 years ago and it didn't go anywhere. I wasn't really motivated. This year though i have made up my mind to lose weight. Yes i have fallen off the wagon a day or two, but then i get right back on. This weekend was hard, I did terrible, but today i don't feel to great because of all the junk food that i ate. If you start to eat healthy foods and watch what you eat for a couple weeks and then eat junk food, you are really going to notice it and your body will be like, hey i don't like that, your body really wants healthy food, just us as humans know how to train our bodies to eat what we want. So yes you may fall of the horse on your journey but you just got to get right back on, you are the master and you tell that horse what to do. One of my biggest motivations are my friends on mfp. I don't normally like adding strangers as friends, but this is a weight lose site, so really we are all here for the main goal. So add people. everyone that i have added, seem to be really nice and motivate me well. So if you would like to, add me, and we can venture on this journey to a new us together. Good luck!