Options
    One of my favorite sandwiches:

Low sodium sliced turkey breast
    avocado, sliced if firm, mashed if really ripe
    Panera Tomato Basil bread, 1 slice cut in half
    red salad onion, sliced thin
    Laughing cow light swiss wedge
    ground pepper to taste

Spread the cheese wedge on one half of the slice of bread, spread the avocado on the other and layer on the turkey and onion, and sprinkle with pepper. Enjoy your sammich!

ETA: I imagine you could do it without meat. the cheese avocado sounds good. maybe add a splash of tabasco to kick it up.

285 calories, 18 protein, 9 fats, thereabout.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    use mashed avocado in place of mayo.
    sliced avocado on sandwiches or in salad.
    blend it with some 0% greek yogurt to make a really good topping for tacos or even salad
    add it to smoothies
    use in it place of oil/egg/butter in baking recopies if you are adventurous.....

here is a good list i think...some of the options it gives involve meat but im sure you could use seitan/tofu etc. or just omit the meat as well

basically you can use avocado in place of a lot of things because it has a very creamy/buttery texture and although its somewhat high in fat they are the healthy fats good especially for us vegetarians/vegans!

**as a side note...do NOT eat them if you have a latex allergy....they are part of the latex-fruit syndrome family**
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I like to eat mine spread or chunked on a wrap or pita with tuna. I also chop them into salads. Love all the ideas i have read so far.
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love them! You can do so much...add them in a whole wheat wrap with hummus and sprouts (you mentioned that you don't eat meat). I chop them up and throw them in a salad with goat cheese and nuts. They're also really yummy chopped on top of lentil chili with a little sourcream. Enjoy!!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take the road less traveled here and recommend avocado pudding. Take half an avocado, 1-2 tbs cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, and a little honey or Splenda. Mash it, mix it up, and top with mini chocolate chips if you'd like. You can also add some sort of milk for a creamier texture.

Mind blown - again!!!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I just slice it and put it on a turkey or chicken sandwich with some spicy mustard. It tastes sooo much better than nasty mayo!
  • CallieRettig
    Options
    I like to make a fiesta baked potato. mix a little black beans and corn in a pan and season with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. put that on your potato. Also top with salsa, avocado, and cilantro. So good, and filling. I also have a storage suggestion. I can only use half at a time usually, so I smear some olive oil on the other half and tightly wrap it in plastic wrap, making sure the wrap is touching all of the avocado surface. then I wrap it in aluminum foil. It keeps until the next day, sometimes two days if it doesn't gross you out to cut off the top layer.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Make sure you start with a ripe avocado first and foremost. Otherwise, you'll wonder why you wasted money on the nasty, crunchy thing. I find that picking out an avocado is similar to picking out a peach. Hard and crunchy is bad. Mushy is bad. Somewhere in the middle is good.

As far as using them:

I hard boil 3 eggs, toss the yolks on two of them, keep the yolk on the third. Then I mash half an avocado in with the eggs, to make a mayo-free egg salad.

The other thing that I like is taking a jar of salsa (if you don't have the patience to make your own) and mash in the avocado and some lime juice.

They can be good just sliced and added to a sandwich.

Sometimes, I just slice them in half, remove the pit (Google how to do this without making a mess), sprinkle with a little salt, and just eat them in the half-shell. :)
  • Garlicmash
    Options
    cut it up and add to salads
    slice it and have it in sandwiches

If you find you love it you will be trying it with loads of things.Its also great as a spread if you mash some and add to crackers then top with what you fancy or just eat as a plain spread/dip.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Use in place of mayo on most sandwiches. Simple salad - avocado, pomegranate pips, and lettuce--salt pepper and a 1/2 tsp of olive oil - my portion says 69 calories, so lite and refreshing.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Got this from a guy named Olly Foster, so credit to him:

A Brazilian friend of mine recently made me a milkshake made of avocado. Avocado of all things and it was absolutely incredible!

1 ripe avocado
    A handful of crushed ice
    Sweetener to taste (though my friend did use sugar, so this is a healthier alternative)
    A small cup of coconut (or try almond) milk

Seriously try it guys, its absolutely delicious and full of healthy muscle building fats!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Got this from a guy named Olly Foster, so credit to him:

A Brazilian friend of mine recently made me a milkshake made of avocado. Avocado of all things and it was absolutely incredible!

1 ripe avocado
    A handful of crushed ice
    Sweetener to taste (though my friend did use sugar, so this is a healthier alternative)
    A small cup of coconut (or try almond) milk

Seriously try it guys, its absolutely delicious and full of healthy muscle building fats!

Gotta say, I was expecting this to be nasty... Well, how wrong I am! And thankfully!

I used a bit more than a handful of crushed ice... so then I had to add about 1 full cup (8 oz) of unsweetened vanilla almond milk -- my avocado (just the flesh) weighed in at 80 grams. I added Stevia in the Raw and it turned out more like a sorbet than a milkshake. I squeezed half a lime into the cup (NutriBlender) and mixed that in. Oh, YUM!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take the road less traveled here and recommend avocado pudding. Take half an avocado, 1-2 tbs cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, and a little honey or Splenda. Mash it, mix it up, and top with mini chocolate chips if you'd like. You can also add some sort of milk for a creamier texture.

I do this but I add a ripe banana which means you don't have to add any other sweetener. Yum! I've never even tasted the avocado when I do this... but my friend who must have SUPER taste buds said she could taste the avocado... but she tastes even the subtlist of flavors in everything.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Never tried it before but going to pick one up on Monday when I go food shopping. Any suggestions on what to do with it? Don't eat meat though :)

Crispy bacon, sliced avocado and tomato sandwich.
  • TISHkidneytransplant28
    Options
    I like to make a salad with avocado. baby spinach, tomato, cucumbers, cilantro, avocado, lime or lemon juice, salt and pepper! It's very yummy:)