Eating your calories from working out back???

Hello! I'm new to these boards, but have been using MFP for a few weeks steadily and have lost 8lbs so far. I thought it would help to read thru the message boards to glean some good infor to help me in my journey! One thing I don't truly understand is the concept of eating back your calories from working out. I understand not going below, say 1200kcals, a day because of starvation mode, but if you eat back the calories you burned, doesn't that defeat the purpose of burning them off in the first place? Doesn't it cancel each other out? Am I a moron? (Be gentle!) :embarassed:

Replies

• mrguse
    mrguse Posts: 17 Member
    I don't believe in eating back workout calories... it seems like defeating the purpose to me. Some people here disagree with that passionately for perfectly valid reasons (my wife is one of those).

Fair warning: This thread has the potential of exploding into a 130 page slug-fest like most of this breed do.
  • kensgirl2
    kensgirl2 Posts: 21 Member
    To me personally it seems like defeating the purpose, but if someone can give me good, sound reasons to eat them back and prove I won't gain weight or stall out, I'd be more than happy to eat those calories!! :laugh:
  • Okay, so very simply.

You sign up for MFP and select a goal (i.e. lose 1 pound per week)

MFP gives you a calorie target assuming nO WORKING OUT and that target would get you to the aforementioned goal.

You workout.

Those calories burned were not taken into account in the first place.

Now you're at a deficit corresponding to your initial goal + the calories you burned working out. (i.e. a 500 deficit to lose 1 pound per week plus the 250 you burned working out = 750 deficit or 1.5 pounds lost per week instead of 1 pound)

What happens when your deficit is too big is that your body essentially responds by down regulating your thyroid hormones along with down (or up) regulating other hormones responsible for hunger, satiety, etc (i.e. ghrelin/leptin).

So, you eat your calories that you burned so that you arrive at the deficit intended to get you to the goal you selected in the first place.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You need to educate yourself on how this site works. If you set yourself up the MFP recommends, you do not include exercise in your daily activity. From there, MFP will calculate a deficit that is already built into your diet; therefore, any calories you burn from exercise create an even larger deficit. This is not always a good thing...for example, if you're at 1,200 calories, you are already at an 800-1,000 calorie deficit from your maintenance level TDEE on average. This is already huge....now if you exercise and burn another 500, you're only netting 700 calories which, unless you have a serious medical condition, I can guarantee you is well below your BMR (Basal Metabolic rate)...THIS IS VERY, VERY, VERY BAD AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!!!!

Your BMR is what they would feed you in a hospital through a tube if you were in a coma. It is the bare bones calories your body needs to just maintain proper organ function. Eating substantially below your BMR for extended periods of time causes all kinds of issues, the least of which is metabolic stall.

MFP is a tool like any other...to get the most use out of the tool, you need to know how to use the tool.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    MFP is set up so that you can lose weight without exercise. Your daily calorie goal includes a your planned calorie deficit for the day. If you exercise and burn more calories your deficit is increased. Your deficit can increase to levels that are not sustainable in the long run. If your deficit gets too large you will not be able to maintain adequate nutrition.

You will lose for a while if you do not eat them back, but eventually you will stall out.. MFP is set up so you should be using your "NET" calories as you daily goal.

Remember that you are working out to make gains in fitness and improve your health. Its the steady calorie deficit that drops the pounds. Exercise and good nutrition help you maintain muscle strength, balance, stamina and heart health.

Not eating enough will slow this down. I will say that MFP's exercise burn calculator over estimates your burn which is why many only eat back a portion of there exercise calories.

Or you can use a cut from TDEE method where both your deficit and burn are factored in and you only have to wory about a single daily number.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    The sound reason is... that's how this site was designed to work. It gives you a lower calorie goal than another site might, with the expectation that you'll earn more calories from exercise.

For instance, if I used another site to calculate my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), I'd be told to eat 2300 calories to maintain my current weight. If I wanted to lose one pound a week, I would take 500 calories off that total, which would be 1800 calories.

If I told MFP that I wanted to lose one pound a week, I'd get told to consume about 1350 caloires. With exercise calories, assuming a 350-600 burn most days (about 30-60 minutes of exercise), I would end up with 1700-1950 calories. Right about the same as TDEE - 500.

If I *only* ate the 1350 MFP suggests, I'd have a 950 calorie a day deficit, which, in theory, would suggest I'd end up losing about 2 pounds a week, but experience has taught me that I can't possibly lose that much a week without a stomach flu. A larger deficit just makes me feel like crap and doesn't make weight loss any faster for me.

I lost my weight eating 1350-1700 plus exercise calories, or a total of 1700-2000+. Every past attempt at weight loss had failed because I had too large of a deficit. Weight loss through MFP was almost effortless. I felt great the entire time, reached my goal in 6 months and I've been maintaining for over a year and a half. And maintaining my loss is just as effortless. I never, ever, ever thought being fit, strong and healthy could be this easy.

(The eating part is easy. The exercising... not so easy, but so so worth it!)
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    I agree with cwolfman. Eating not enough calories can actually be detrimental to your weight loss and your health. I dont eat all my calories burned but I try not to go under a net of 1200. We all want to lose the weight fast, but it takes time. If you dont want to eat your exercise calories back go into your profile and change your activity level, depending on how often and how long you are exercising. I also agree that it would be beneficial to find your BMR. They are many sights that will help with with that if you just google: calculate BMR.:smile:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    To me personally it seems like defeating the purpose, but if someone can give me good, sound reasons to eat them back and prove I won't gain weight or stall out, I'd be more than happy to eat those calories!! :laugh:

if you do a lot of exercise on a calorie deficit diet you are going below the number you set yourself.

so, if you set your cals at 1400, and then ran for an hour every day you would burn 500 cals extra per day, meaning that if you only ate 1400cals you would actually be eating the equivalent of eating 900cals.

thats bad for you.

you are eating back the calories burned so you match you match or get close to your original deficit number, just be careful that your calories arn't set too low, then with exercise on top you are going far to low.

you are supposed to fuel your body with food and eat healthy + exercise to improve it. not starve it off. that doesn't work.

this will probably turn into *kitten* fight.
  • kensgirl2
    kensgirl2 Posts: 21 Member
    No s*** fight needed!! You guys spelled it out fairly well for me to understand. I had already checked out the links suggested for the whole TDEE, macros thing but it just turned into reading Greek for me.

Thanks!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    No s*** fight needed!! You guys spelled it out fairly well for me to understand. I had already checked out the links suggested for the whole TDEE, macros thing but it just turned into reading Greek for me.

Thanks!

PM me if you need help figuring out the TDEE - 20% thing.
  • In my opinion it's pointless to eat your calories back if you work out. Why waste an hour working out then if you're not going to make any progress? Personally, I don't do it. My calorie limit is 2160 and that's what I stay at regardless if I work out or not.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    In my opinion it's pointless to eat your calories back if you work out. Why waste an hour working out then if you're not going to make any progress? Personally, I don't do it. My calorie limit is 2160 and that's what I stay at regardless if I work out or not.

it's well known why. just read the answers and follow the links above. or don't.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    In my opinion it's pointless to eat your calories back if you work out. Why waste an hour working out then if you're not going to make any progress? Personally, I don't do it. My calorie limit is 2160 and that's what I stay at regardless if I work out or not.

You don't lift heavy things, do you?
  • In my opinion it's pointless to eat your calories back if you work out. Why waste an hour working out then if you're not going to make any progress? Personally, I don't do it. My calorie limit is 2160 and that's what I stay at regardless if I work out or not.

Do you really think that working out has no purpose other than burning calories and causing weight loss?
  • mowomannell
    mowomannell Posts: 6 Member
    I think its important not to lose yourself in the world of counting calories, and take a step back, in order to answer your question... say you have a 1200 calorie allotment... given a rag-a-tag day, or one in which you only do moderate exercise, 1200 calories will do ya. But if you are doing a 2-hour cardio workout, then 1200 calories will not be sufficient, and if you stick to it, you are just practising a form of anorexia via exercise.

I don't think its a good state of mind to think about eating back your workout calories, especially if your goal is to LOSE weight. If you are just maintaining your gorgeous, perfect weight, then perhaps you CAN afford to "eat back" your workout.

That being said, there are lots of ongoing benefits of doing the exercise besides the number of additional calories a website assigns to your name. You sweat out toxins, stretch and build your muscles, sleep better and raise your overall metabolism and energy level. Regardless of current weight or weight loss.

The biggest benefit of this website, to me, isn't counting calories, but helping me reflect on how I feel... sure, you went running with the dog but that's not the point. Are you hungry? If yes, can you afford the calories? If yes, then eat what you NEED. If no, drink some water, eat a salad or wash some psyllium husk down and get out of the kitchen! If you exercised and you don't feel hungry, then great! Don't eat!

Good luck to us all! :bigsmile:

Do you really think that working out has no purpose other than burning calories and causing weight loss?

If your goal is to lose weight, yes.

If you're trying to lose weight and you work out then eat your calories back...what's the point of working out?

Just sayin'. Not trying to start any s**t with anyone here. To each his own, I'm not judging or criticizing.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    I eat about half of my exercise calories back. I'm a little hesitant to eat them all in case MFP calories burnt, is wrong.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Some days I eat them back, some days I don't, I eat when I am hungry ...and I am still losing even if I go over somedays , I workout for the benefits for my heart and cardiovascular health, as well as my mental health lol.....losing weight is a bonus for me, however I am really trying to lose fat and gain muscle now.
  • I like to stay around my original still. I think it's just like a, if you really feel like having something, go for it.