Ever just want to shake a friend for a crash diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    As much as you want to shake them you gotta let them try and fail so that when they do fail (if you suppose they actually will as some people can jump in like that and work well with it) then you can be there to provide support and another solution. Otherwise they really have to try and see if it works for them because you would be unsupportive of their journey if you didn't.

Now if they were doing something that could harm their health like eating an apple and a can of tuna everyday and nothing else that definitely would be different. GL!
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The problem is that some people either a) want to lose weight waaaay too quickly and think a gimmick will do it or b) think they have no willpower so sign up for something that takes all the choices out of their day and forces them to eat less calories (but in the guise of a shake diet, a fruit detox, a cabbage diet...).

A friend of mine did it as a "kick start" then went onto MFP and it turned out ok for her. But I've known lots of people do crash diet then put it back on again when they relax the regime.

I don't give anyone advice anymore, unless they ask for it or ask me how I lost my weight. Internally I do want to shake them...externally I smile and nod :wink:
  • kwirky1
    kwirky1 Posts: 58
    Options
    Does wanting to shake yourself count???
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in "eat more to weigh less" and I just want to slap my friends silly when they think that the ONLY way they will lose weight is by starving themselves. Then they wonder why they fail and don't lose any weight at all. If you're going to starve yourself of course you're going to get discouraged. No one is happy when they don't eat.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    My friends have decided to believe that I am starving myself or I wouldn't have lost the weight and I certainly wouldn't be keeping it off, even when they see me eat 600 calories at breakfast or cake once a month at our office birthday party. So they are always excited to tell me that they have decided to starve themselves, too. I try to show them what I'm eating, but to no avail.

Yes, I want to shake several of them.

I can totally relate to this! At work I try to tell people that I lost weight by eating a little healthier and exercising more but no one wants to hear that. If you didn't lose it from some miracle pill then you must have starved yourself. >.<
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    My husband suddenly decided he wants to lose weight too, but he doessnt want my help. So i quietly clean and cut up healthy fruit and vegetables and leavehealthy snacks in portion sizes. But i have to laugh at some of his smoothys. Grapefruit and coconut cream blends. (He didnt read the calorie content of the coconut cream 600 cals at 25% fat) i want him to suceed so i'm keeping quiet and just trying to be a good example.
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I think crash diets are bad for you. I just want to shake those people. Yes they lose the weight but then they end up gaining it back and even more weight. i rather learn to eat healthy. I myself under doctor's supervision is on a gluten free diet. It is not because of the fact that I want to lose weight it because I have a medical condition but I feel healthier and being gluten free does make you lose weight along with exercise.
  • tat2dzombiegirl
    tat2dzombiegirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You guys are so fun! Shake a friend may be a useful exercise! Haha. To each his own I agree, my only thing was be careful of saturated fats! It's cut one thing eat whatever you want, don't count calories, just seems odd. But it might work, I'm not a doctor.

I've just learned to eat everything in moderation. I've found it so hard to cut things out fast, just little changes make such a difference!
  • tat2dzombiegirl
    tat2dzombiegirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My husband suddenly decided he wants to lose weight too, but he doessnt want my help. So i quietly clean and cut up healthy fruit and vegetables and leavehealthy snacks in portion sizes. But i have to laugh at some of his smoothys. Grapefruit and coconut cream blends. (He didnt read the calorie content of the coconut cream 600 cals at 25% fat) i want him to suceed so i'm keeping quiet and just trying to be a good example.

Hehe. I agree completely! Because it's organic peanut butter it's slathered on everything for him! Same with organic chocolate milk!
  • SGocka
    SGocka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have lost 171 pounds in a little over 8 months.

Call it a crash diet or whatever else you want, can't argue with results.