Low carb and upset tummy

Options
yanicka
yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
I lowered my carbs to around 25%. To compensate, I added fat and proteins in my diet. I have PCOS so I think this is the best for me (please no debating in this tread!!!!) but I feel like I have an upset stomach most of the time. Also I had my gallbladder removed 7 years ago and higher fat has a certain impact on my system (get my meaning). Did you have tummy trouble when you started low carbs?

Replies

• LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I lowered my carbs to around 25%. To compensate, I added fat and proteins in my diet. I have PCOS so I think this is the best for me (please no debating in this tread!!!!) but I feel like I have an upset stomach most of the time. Also I had my gallbladder removed 7 years ago and higher fat has a certain impact on my system (get my meaning). Did you have tummy trouble when you started low carbs?
    keep on doing what you are doing. Our bodies are amazing. You body will start to figure out what to do with the new level of fat you are ingesting and will calm down. It might help to make sure that you are eating more frequently and not just big meals. Let your gut ease into the increase. So break down what you are going to eat and nosh every couple of hours for a few days. See if that helps.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I do pretty low carb and I get an upset tummy when I haven't uh..."gone" in a couple days. I take a Correctol to get things moving and then I'm back to normal in 12 hours or so.
  • SSawney
    SSawney Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey when you say low carb have you replaced all of your flour and sugar bases and replaced them with natural sugars like fruits? Also, replace all the bad carbs with veg and brown rice. If you are having tummy problems be careful with the types of veggies you eat like broccolli does a number on my stomach. The same thing happens when I have too many fruits especially banana's. Sit down and right down what exactly you eat at the time that made your stomach upset and adjust from there thats what I did. i hope you feel better.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The first week was the toughest. I had stomach pain, headaches, crankyness, tiredness. Your body will adjust though and you will feel great soon!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I do pretty low carb and I get an upset tummy when I haven't uh..."gone" in a couple days. I take a Correctol to get things moving and then I'm back to normal in 12 hours or so.

I had the same problem, after a month of doing this and not losing any wieght, i upped my carbs , i feel better, i sleep better, am losing wieght,and my body has gone back to going normaly :embarassed: , not say i'm right and your wrong its just about what works for you

good luck on your journey
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    having no gall bladder will really give you a problem with extra dietary fat digestion, since your gall bladder is the organ that releases most of the bile (bile is what breaks down dietary fats), this could lead to you feeling a bit "gross" as my wife would say. She also had her gall bladder removed a while ago. While your body will adapt and your liver will start producing slightly more bile to compensate, it's not nearly going to match the amount that your gall bladder would release, and it's not timed to match food consumption either. there are plenty of diets out there that you can query for people who have had their gall bladder removed, I would research these extensively.

Not sure a high fat diet is what you want to do with no gall bladder though. Maybe high protein (not positive on this as I haven't done enough research) but not high fat.
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    when i first started i was getting weird tummy aches too (i'm also PCOS so at first i thought it was my ovaries) but i found that switching to gluten-free products and fresh veggies for my carbs helped significantly (and i lost weight dramatically, which as a PCOS woman i'm sure you know isn't easy for us at all!) and also swallowing a tablesppon of raw organic coconut oil. its a detox, that pulls alot of the yucky wastes our bodies hold onto, and also helps curb sugar cravings (which was also hard to avoid when first going low carb) also if you can stomach it, i'd say maybe a little yogurt cup with some flax seed to help ease some of the bowel movement issues, in case that bloackage is the issue. i hope i've helped, i know that i had to experiment on myself a bit to find what worked for my body vs. what worked for more regulated females bodies. good luck, and please dont hesitate to message me if you have any questions :D
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Increase your soluable fiber. You should be getting a minimum of 25 g a day. This will help your digestion processes. Decrease your fat as well as you don't have a gal bladder to help digest it. Also be wary of red meat and dark meat as it's harder to digest. Be sure to get lots of veggies. Good luck and listen to your body. Take it a step at a time.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options

I had the same problem, after a month of doing this and not losing any wieght, i upped my carbs , i feel better, i sleep better, am losing wieght,and my body has gone back to going normaly :embarassed: , not say i'm right and your wrong its just about what works for you

good luck on your journey

Thanks :) I do it more because I'm a type II diabetic and I'm extremely sensitive to carbs. Like when I eat too many, I blow up like a balloon. LOL. Not to mention they wreak havoc on my blood sugar.

I'm not quite as low as the OP, but I do try to limit them.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It's not the lower carb that is the problem. It's the increased fat because your body doesn't have the storage capacity for bile to break it down. I understand that you want to stay on a low carb plan, but because of your medical issues, you HAVE to stay on a lower fat plan. Can you do both? Yes, but that means eating a ton of protein to do it. With that much protein and low carb and fat, you will probably need a fiber supplement to keep things moving. Just be careful that you don't over do the fiber supplement because it can cause a lot of gastrointestinal discomfort (IE: gas).
  • imcsqrd
    imcsqrd Posts: 32
    Options
    Since you had your gall bladder remove, you should consider supplementing with black walnut to aid in the process the gall bladder used to perform. I've known several folks who had their gall bladders removed and suffered from similar symptoms until they started supplementing with black walnut. Does not eliminate problems totally, but brought them significant relief. You should also take what trainingwithtony said and cut back on the fats. The gall bladders job is to deal with fats and w/o one, your body will react uncomfortably with the un-treated fats. Good luck.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Did you talk to your Doctor before you started your high protein diet? I would, especially since you had you gallbladder remove.
  • gdsgrl1973
    gdsgrl1973 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have had my gall bladder out. I started a low carb diet Dec 20 and there are days I feel very yucky. I have tried cutting down the fats I eat and stick to leaner meats. I am still having gurgling tummy issues and feeling yucky. I am wondering if maybe it's all the dairy I have been eating. Maybe I will try cutting back. I think if we just tweak things a little as needed we will find our niche. I have lost 15lbs since I started amost 4 weeks ago and have another 30 to 40 to go so I will stick to lower carb. I have tried everything else, but until I drastically cut carbs I didn't lose anything. I hope my body adjusts and soon.
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For us pcos-ladies linseeds are super important. They help with the hormones and keep your bowel moving.

For me it works best to have about 10g soaked over night (or up to 24hrs) first in the morning!
    And yes keeping carb intake low... But... High fat? Without a gall bladder... As other said... Maybe just go back, to what you ate before and lower slowly your carb intake. And up your fats. And play around with different percentages. And different fats. My body reacts differently to nuts or butter. And to oats and wheat. Just try, log what you eat and how you feel. In some way, we pcos-ladies are special snowflakes ;-)
    Good luck and all the best!
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My two cents- maybe looking into changing the types of carbs you get.

Like my dad had to switch to rice-pastas after his gaul was taken out.