Nice to meet you

Options
Hello, I just found this site the other day by accident. I am hoping to lose 15 - 20 lbs total. I like it so far but am bummed my calorie intake per the guidelines it did is so low I can only drink 8 oz of oj a day and the rest water if I want to eat, and I am starving to death each day even after breakfast and lunch but I can't eat anymore or I don't get to eat dinner.... The other thing I noticed is when you input strength training as an exercise it doesn't show it as burning any calories at all.

Other than that I am sure it will be a great journey

Replies

• ChazMikoyan
    Options
    Welcome!

The strength workout section is meant for logging progress in weight and reps. You'll also need to log the time in cardo for the calories to be taken off your net.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Welcome! If you're starting with the basic 1200 calories, then yes, that's too low. Here's a good place to start:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Also, strength training is also listed under the cardio section, as well, so you can log your minutes there. The other space is your log. Have fun!
  • ChazMikoyan
    Options
    For the hunger, take a look at this to make sure you understand how calories are calculated.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hey there, maybe try bumping your calories to 1500 and exercising more. That way you can eat more!

Add me if you'd like. I eat about 1500+ a day.
  • raquelleigh
    Options
    Thank you for your hints so far everyone! I will look in the cardio section for the strength exercises I do. I can't do cardio much because I have an incurable extremely rare lung disease and have difficulty breathing but I do walk my dogs!.

Yes it is the 1240 calories one that I am on. I used to get lots of liquid calories as I am constantly thirsty (A side effect of the lung thing) so it is a serious shock not being able to have more than one glass of OJ etc. I tried the MIO stuff for my water but it's pretty gross!
  • Dee_31
    Dee_31 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I too am on 1200 calories,have been for 2 weeks now.. I was like you, starving after my 1200 but once I got use to it, I wasn't as hungry any more.. All this is still new to me as well, but I'm learning.... Once I did exercises, and got more calories, it gave me 1400 and I find it hard to eat all that, so doing 1200 is hard, throw in your exerecise then that adds you some calories ( sure you already knew that) :) Good luck on your journey, you can add me if you'd like! It'll get easier!
  • raquelleigh
    Options
    Not sure where to put this, but you can't *kitten* the strength exercises under cardio because they aren't there. So it's like I am burning Zero calories for my toning exercises and I know that it bot true. How do I account for these and have it show correctly on my page?
  • krysty88
    Options
    Hi all im Krysty and i want to lose about a stone or a stone and a half. Im finding that im left with alot of calories at the end of the day - today im left with 517!
  • TracyKSm
    TracyKSm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!!!! You may want to start at 1400 cals/day. Then as you lose 10-15lbs decrease. That is what I did. I am down to 1200 cals/day. I have lost 45 lbs over 6 months. DONT GET DISCOURAGED!! It is a process. I also very rarely drink my calories!! (Except when alchol is involved ;) lol) Had your strenght training in the cardi part and it will track cals.
    GOOD LUCK!!
  • Kadesha72
    Kadesha72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was a big OJ drinker, especially in the winter... but I cut it totally out and just started with a multivitamin. They take most of the really good stuff out of OJ anyway... eating oranges is much better for you. I had no idea that OJ had so many calories, sugars, fat... EVERYTHING... its really quite horrible for you, other than the lovely taste!!!

Once I started the water (I drink 8+ glasses a day), the cravings for soda and OJ and everything else really went down and some are completely gone... but I wake up thinking, "WATER!! I MUST HAVE WATER!!" Not to mention my skin is looking FABULOUS.
  • raquelleigh
    Options
    I can't place the strength training in the cardio section. There is no entry for squats or crunches or some of the others I have looked up :(
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I put my strength training under "Circuit training" in the cardio data base. Then I usually lower the calories burned as I think most of the MFP calorie calcs are a bit high,

I got a blood pressure and pulse monitoring device that calculates my specific burn rate based on my vital signs, These devices are expensive but some are less than others (the big ugly ones are cheap. The sexy small ones are tres cher!) YOu can read about them in the forums or FAQs. BPMs or Fitbits are some of the names. Mine was a big ugly cheap bowflex....

Good luck!
  • sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Check out the thread in finess and exercise regarding heart rate monitors. Good advice and recommendations.