People Who Sit All Day Have Trouble With Hips?

Options
13»

Replies

• bids55
    bids55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Excellent posts and some great advice. Got this hip problem big time!
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Aggravated pelvic forward tilt and thoracic kyphosis. These are the typical conditions where people with desk jobs have due to weak scapular abductors and lombar arrectors.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have had a desk job or the last 22years..(not one but several over that period)..before thatI spent 3 years in coledge,mostly at a desk...I have not had many issues, but when I do get up...I feel very stiff..I aso have not been exercising...I guss maybe I need to take heed and start doing this..thanks for the info...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Aggravated pelvic forward tilt and thoracic kyphosis. These are the typical conditions where people with desk jobs have due to weak scapular abductors and lombar arrectors.

Show off. :wink:
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    All true, the good news is that the best thing to help it, is just to get strong. I used to have terrible problems with my hips, but after the last few years of strength training it hardly flares up any more. I never have the flexibility issues that can go along with it as I am hyper-mobile. My husband who is also a desk worker had tonnes of trouble getting his squat to depth. He's done alot of work, particurly box squats and heaps of mobility on the foam roller. It's served the dual purpose of getting his squat to depth and minimising the pain from sitting...
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I sit all day at my job too and worry about long term issues. I am overweight and have been having other issues with Joint pain. I may consider paying the extra money to join an gym where they have a pool and swim for exercise as it is easier on the joints. Water aerobics classes too. I admit I am a couch potato too and can't get motivated.

I started with swimming when I decided to get fit. Not only is it easier on the joints, if you can swim you can feel athletic pretty quickly. It also is a great mental break, because it tends to be quiet (no music blaring, just the rhythmic splashing of the freestylers). I love it. But work with a trainer to be sure your technique is good (just a couple of sessions is usually plenty). Because you can hurt your elbows or knees if you aren't stroking/kicking right. I also use the recumbent bike to protect my joints, but as I lose, I've been finding I walk more and take the steps more and just generally feel more comfortable in my body, so I just move more.
  • bdamaster60
    Options

what do you mean?
  • neverstray
    Options

what do you mean?

I was joking about the technical talk. Nevermind. It's not funny if you have to ask. But, I have no idea what you said. That's why I playfully said what I said.
  • bdamaster60
    Options

what do you mean?

I was joking about the technical talk. Nevermind. It's not funny if you have to ask. But, I have no idea what you said. That's why I playfully said what I said.
    could always google it
  • neverstray
    Options

what do you mean?

could always google it

Too many words.