Lexapro and Weight Gain

Options
I was put on Lexapro a little over a year ago to help with POTS (for those of you who don't know what that is, it's a disease of the autonomic nervous system). I've always been genetically on the thinner side, to the point where I used to TRY to gain weight in high school, but I've put on 25+ pounds since going on this medicine (10 pounds just since September!) In the process of weaning off, but every time I stop the medication completely, I go through horrible withdrawal effects and have to try and taper off more slowly. I'm down to 1/4 of a 10 mg pill every other day. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how easily did the weight come off once stopping the Lexapro? Thank you!!!

Replies

• blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I was on Lexapro for 3 years and I lost weight, not gained. I think the medicine make you feel better so you indulge more. IMO. Good luck tapering off of it. You are doing it right!
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've never gained weight from antidepressants but I was concerned at one point when switching (due to other side effects) that I could develop this side effect, and my doctor said if it was a concern my appetite would return to normal after stopping. So hopefully if you continue to wean off slowly you'll feel ok and you'll go back to normal! Good luck.