Desk Workouts

Options
As a graphic designer, I am stuck at my desk most of the day. I try and get up at least once an hour to walk around and stretch so my body doesn't get stiff and sore. But I still feel like I should be doing more.

My boss is really awesome and said if I want to get a stability ball to sit on instead of my chair I can. He doesn't care as long as I'm happy and that I'm productive.

Is this something that works? what do you guys do at your desk jobs?

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Get a stand up desk. That, and make sure you're getting in your real workouts.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm a graphic designer too! The stand up desk is a good idea. The IT guy here got one and it's pretty awesome. I don't think I'd like to stand all the time, but it is much better for you lol.

I do leg and ab exercises at my desk and instead of a stability ball I just sit at the edge of my chair (I look really alert and people tend to stare, but it engages the abs and back). I also fidget a lot. Moving my legs up and down standing at random times, walking to the break room or restroom and walk back. Any time I can get movement in I try. I also take walks during my lunch break.

I also do workouts at home after work. Mostly Jillian Michaels DVDs.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I walk on my breaks and lunch...even if it is just laps around the cubicles area at work because the weather is crummy. Plus I workout after work alternating cardio and strength training. I know it isn't super insightful, but I hope it helps!
  • dadeys1
    dadeys1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    HASFit.com has some free "at your desk" workout videos. I haven't tried them but they are designed for the office and low-intensity so you don't get all sweaty.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I work at a desk 8 hours a day...

WebMD has an interesting article with suggestions for a desk workout:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-at-your-desk
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I definitely do my regular workouts after work...just thought I would get some input for other stuff to do during the day.

Thought a stability ball might be useful...but I might end up bouncing on it all day lol
  • mercymarque
    Options
    I have a stability ball at my desk along with my chair. I sit on the ball, bounce on it and move my hips around on it. I also do crunches on it. My desk chair has arms and is stable... I scoot to the edge of the chair, have my legs straight out with my arms back and push my weight off the chair. There are also wall push-ups that can be done and wall squats.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I get up and walk a short distance every 1/2 hour (when possible) - if you drink tons of water this will make you do that. I keep a dumbbell in my bottom drawer - not much but I think it helps. Sitting on a ball would probably be good too.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    http://www.ergoweb.com/news/detail.cfm?id=1091 - covers the nays to swiss ball as office chairs

standing for 5 minutes every hour or for as long as possible is much better than sitting on anything. Get the swiss ball and work towards kneeling but glutes not resting on calves and do bicep curls for 15 minutes at lunchtime. Or quadripedal balance and work toward superman, movements that are the opposite of sitting.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I sit on a stability ball for a portion of every day. Takes some getting used to and you will likely get some sore core muscles at first (a good sign).
    It's worth it, but don't let them take your real chair.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm a project manager and am at my desk most of the time as well. Luckily, my office is at the bottom of a very steep hill and i can get a fantastic walk in at lunch every day, and then once an hour i take 6 minutes and run up and down all four flights of stairs twice.
    Then i do little things, like send print jobs to the printer all the way at the other side of the office, use the ladies room farthest away from my desk, etc. Every little bit counts. :)