Southern Cooking

Options
Four days and I am dying here. Born and breed in the South. We know two things Sweet Tea and Fried Food! Both are like crack pipes for me. How can I live in the South and lose the weight.

Replies

• nanmosta1
    nanmosta1 Posts: 55
    Options
    Sweet tea be made with Splenda. They have a recipe on the back of the package.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am from the South as well so I know how you feel. You can do it though I promise. Southern food is comfort food. You can still enjoy southern vegetables. Count your calories and work out like crazy!! (lol)
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    My gramma (my inspiration in the kitchen) was low fat before low fat was cool and she used to make "fried chicken" in the oven. She would smash up corn flakes (the bran flakes weren't very good if I remember correctly) add seasoning. Skin the chicken dip it in egg whites (no whole eggs) and batter the chicken with the corn flakes and bake it instead of fry it. It was one of my favorites as a kid. Yeah I know it's not fried but if you NEED the comfort food it's a better option. I bet you can find some great swaps for some of your favorite foods online...

Stay strong!!

:)
  • cruisegirl
    cruisegirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I hear you!! I'm from the south too and was raised on everything fried. From reading people's food diaries, I see such a difference in eating habits from the different parts of the United States and elsewhere.

I, too, do like another poster suggested and bake my food in the oven, using bread crumbs. It's really good. And put your potatoes in there too. Delish!!
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    Thanks guys I have found a few friends that have took me in and are going to eat me to make Soutern healthy. I feel there is hope. Have a great weekend.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    and if you can't make tea with splenda so it taste good try Publix's tea made with splenda. It's the best I've found.
  • GeauxTravel
    Options
    If you like to cook check out Holly Clegg cookbooks. She is from Baton Rouge and her books are southern favorites done in a healthier way. I use the Gulf Coast Favorites cook book most nights of the week.