Why has the weight loss stopped?

Options
I'm getting frustrated. For the last two months or so, I've barely lost any weight, like only four pounds. About 90% of the time (I'm being honest), I eat pretty clean and keep my calories under my 1600 goal. I rarely eat back all of my exercise calories and I exercise six days a week. I've been doing strength training with cardio. I try to watch my sodium intake and limit carbs. Am I deluding myself? Am I actually doing a terrible job? Am I eating too much? Input would be appreciated.

Replies

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP pal. I have sent a PM with some views. Just want to BUMP this up for you to get some more views. :flowerforyou:
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Bump because I'm interested in this too..
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any measurements over this period or photos to monitor body shape change or even just noticed a change?

With the amount of exercise you are doing it is possible you have lost a lot of "fat" weight, but gained "muscle" weight. and before i get shot down I know they aren't the correct technical descriptions but its a simple way of explaining it!
  • DeniseMRussell
    DeniseMRussell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, and if you are involved with strength training 6 days per week you could be replacing fat weight with muscle weight. A healthy amount of weight to lose is 0.5 - 2 pounds per week, so you are still on track. Don't discourage! It sounds as if you're doing great!
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'm doing the 30 Day Shred and I've started weightlifting (not heavy yet, still getting the research done) about two or three times a week. I didn't take my measurements before I started the 30DS, and I wish I did. I know I've gained lots of muscle and lost inches, and I try to keep that in mind, too. It's just that there's still so much fat sitting on top of the muscle and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Sigh.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    muscle does not weigh more than fat.

a pound is a pound. whether it's a pound of cement or a pound of feathers. The difference is that muscle (like cement) takes up less room. So as said previous... track your inches not your weight.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I feel similar. The lbs are coming off, but I'm not seeing a huge difference in my appearance. I'd love to continue to read what others have to share.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    4 pounds in 2 months is still 1/2lb a week, and that's still progress, it's just slowing down.

But if you're unhappy with that, try cutting it down by 100 calories and increase your protein - there's an awful lot of carbs in there, especially your breakfasts. Most of my weight came off by changing the macros. I know we're all different, but keep trying different things.
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did check your diary and you have quite a few days where your sodium is pretty high, try and keep that in check as well!!! It will make you retain water.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Even good HRMs can be inaccurate especially for women (as much as %30 according to one study!). So if you eat your exercise calories back you could try eating less back.

Also, do you weigh and measure your food? If not, start doing so in case extra calories are sneaking in there.

Another option is visit the doctor and get your metabolism checked.

Increasing or starting exercise can also cause water retention of several pounds. Your body uses it to repair muscle, so you might have lost more than you think depending on when you've increased workouts.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "Eat More!"

Seriously, EAT MORE! Run through HeliotDan's calculations on the "In Place of a Roadmap" thread. You sy you've lost inches but not weight. Clearly that indicates you're getting more muscle. Muscle burns calories at a faster rate than fat does meaning they require MORE calories than when you were the same weight with more fat.

IPOARM uses your measurements and body fat percentage to determine the number of calories you should be eating. I have a strong suspicion that you are eating too little.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804485-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • zeta30
    zeta30 Posts: 40
    Options
    Check this web page out. It goes in to great detail on why your weight loss will plateau and will also give you advice on what you can do to get back on track. The person that made the web page, (Scooby Werkstat) is a natural body builder who built his web site to give free advice on how to get fit and stay in shape. There is also a video.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/2012/06/13/shattering-weight-loss-plateaus/
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    How far under your goal are you? Especially since you aren't eating your exercise calories back? If MFP has set your calorie goal to 1600, you should be netting that. You are working out a lot, and really need to be getting a lot more calories. I fell into a rut when I was working out 5-6 days a week. I upped my daily calories and starting losing again.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    For the last two months or so, I've barely lost any weight, like only four pounds.
    I rarely eat back all of my exercise calories and I exercise six days a week. I've been doing strength training with cardio.

Where are you getting your 1600? Try calculating TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtracting 10-20%. http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html My guess is that you aren't eating enough for all of that exercise.

Good luck!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I'm doing the 30 Day Shred and I've started weightlifting (not heavy yet, still getting the research done) about two or three times a week. I didn't take my measurements before I started the 30DS, and I wish I did. I know I've gained lots of muscle and lost inches, and I try to keep that in mind, too. It's just that there's still so much fat sitting on top of the muscle and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Sigh.

How long have you been doing it? Because if it's only 30 days, and you're still in the middle of it, nothing means ANYTHING yet.

I'm simply going to use P90X as an example because it's something I'm very familiar with. In the first 30 days of P90X, most people see negligible results. At best they lose a couple pounds, at worst they gain a few pounds. THIS IS NORMAL! Your body has to adjust to the new stresses that it isn't used to experiencing when you start a new workout plan. Additionally as someone else mentioned, fat weighs less than muscle, so while you ARE burning fat, you're replacing it with muscle so it doesn't seem like you're losing weight even though you're dropping body fat %.

After the first 30 days with P90X, the pounds start falling off. Now granted, that's how the program's designed. It's meant to be a slow burn program that sees most of the results in the latter half. 30 Day Shred may be different, but the way the body responds to new stimulus is the same across the board.

I wouldn't freak out yet. Keep on keepin' on.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I did also notice that a lot of your carbs are coming from refined white flour which is a simple carbohydrate and doesn't lend itself well to weight loss... you might consider throwing more green veggies/complex carbs in there like brown rice, quinoa, etc in place of english muffins, rolls and buns.