Number of calories for Breakfast

Options

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the way some of you are getting on this girl. She didn't ask for advice, she answered a question. Unless she asks for advice, people should mind their own business. I realize this is a public forum, but you all are talking about her when you all don't know anything about her. All she did was answer a question, and people are analyzing her!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the way some of you are getting on this girl. She didn't ask for advice, she answered a question. Unless she asks for advice, people should mind their own business. I realize this is a public forum, but you all are talking about her when you all don't know anything about her. All she did was answer a question, and people are analyzing her!

not only analyzing, but surely ripping apart the old self esteem while their at it. There's a word called compassion and discretion and some just don't know what that means, easy to type off words on a keyboard and not be held accountable.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I mean, I can see that people might have good intentions, but there's nicer ways to go about it. If someone had unsolicited advice for me, I'd be embarrassed if someone made a spectacle out of me instead of contacting me privately.
  • imagymrat
    Options
    I just hope it doesn't scare her off the boards.
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that she is amazing and brave to have put that out there when everyone else was saying 200-300. Chan, if you have continued to read this post, you are doing great, keep it up...if you need support request to be added to my friend list, and I don't add friends lightly! I have an idea where you are coming from, as I was once 397 pounds - 180 Kilos. I had weight loss surgery which helped, but it certainly wasn't a magic bullet, obviously! I am just lucky to have a VERY supportive family! Both in my real life and here on MFP!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Been there. Used to eat 800 or so for breakfast (today I had 650). You can go back and look at my food diary from 2008 and even with an all out cheat day I lost 5lbs a month. Could it have been faster maybe or I could have gotten discouraged and quit. Those pounds have accumulated over the months into a big loss that i am proud of. Keep going Chan. Do you Boo:wink: !
    Personally I think that she is amazing and brave to have put that out there when everyone else was saying 200-300. Chan, if you have continued to read this post, you are doing great, keep it up...if you need support request to be added to my friend list, and I don't add friends lightly! I have an idea where you are coming from, as I was once 397 pounds - 180 Kilos. I had weight loss surgery which helped, but it certainly wasn't a magic bullet, obviously! I am just lucky to have a VERY supportive family! Both in my real life and here on MFP!
  • beccasetsfire
    Options
    I usually vary between 200-400 calories for breakfast depending on if I drink a protein shake for breakfast or if I have oatmeal... and if I drink anything with that has calories...
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Well, I am going to answer the question posted. I eat between 400-550 on the calories for breakfast (by 9:00 am) then I follow up by 11 with another 200 ish calories. Sorry guys, I work out in the a.m. 5:30 and like imagymrat, I would rather rip off my arm than go without for my post workout calories! I am not losing at a super fast pace, but I have lost 17 lbs since Jan 1st with some very good muscle building as well (at least my 14 year old son says my arms are getting ripped) :laugh: Have a good one all!:wink:
  • imagymrat
    Options
    Well, I am going to answer the question posted. I eat between 400-550 on the calories for breakfast (by 9:00 am) then I follow up by 11 with another 200 ish calories. Sorry guys, I work out in the a.m. 5:30 and like imagymrat, I would rather rip off my arm than go without for my post workout calories! I am not losing at a super fast pace, but I have lost 17 lbs since Jan 1st with some very good muscle building as well (at least my 14 year old son says my arms are getting ripped) :laugh: Have a good one all!:wink:

and you will continue to see muscle growth, cause you "get" it! and that's the biggest part of the battle!
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    ! I am not losing at a super fast pace, but I have lost 17 lbs since Jan 1st with some very good muscle building as well (at least my 14 year old son says my arms are getting ripped) :laugh: Have a good one all!:wink:

Let's see...17 pounds in almost exactly 16 weeks....I would say you are almost exactly on target...good for you! Isn't it cool when the kids say something like that? Even though I have serious fat to lose yet, my 10 year old girl saw my arm when I was carrying something and said "Mom! You are getting man muscles!" Which apparently was a compliment, because she said it with awe in her voice (of course I have man muscles on top, but still have turkey waddles underneath, but hey, it's better than JUST turkey waddles!)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    400-600 and I'm losing. I lift 3 days per week, anything under 300 calories for breakfast, and I too, would be eating my flipping arm off.

Most breakfasts are egg-centric in some manner. Be that eggs overeasy, in an omelette, in a crustless quiche, etc...Usually that combined with a bit of meat or fish, sometimes some berries, and sometimes yogurt. Always coffee & real cream.

Ahh...the days of eating cereal for breakfast and going on a hunger rage 2 hours later. Oh, those were crazy times.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I stay right around 300. I never used to eat breakfast and once I started, the weight started falling off. Try to add in some protein to keep you full. My new favorite balanced breakfast is:

1 egg (organic, cage-free/omega 3) or 1/2 cup liquid egg whites with one cup baby spinach
    1/2 cup blueberries (gotta get those antioxidants)
    1/2 Thomas Whole Wheat mini-bagel w/ 1 Tbsp all natural peanut butter
    coffee

This is just under 300 cals and a great mix of carbs, protein, fiber. Also counts as two servings of fruits/veggies. Keeps me full for quite a while.

My breakfast was high around 400 calories however I have modified it to around 200. I usually have porrige oats as it fills me up for longer... but struggle to get ideas for breakfast. I don't eat eggs and struggle to add protein. Any ideas would be great.

Elli

Mine is high, but you can try to adjust:

Arnold whole wheat sandwich thin toasted (100cal)
    2T Peanut butter (~150cal, varies on brands and if you have sweetener in it)
    Greek Yogurt (100-130cal, again plain v fruit in it)
    Pear

Also, I found some pre-cooked turkey sausage that didn't have a bunch of added crap to it, just turkey and spices (Tennesee Pride) Those are quick and easy - nuke n eat.
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    THANKS!!! Seems like I got a lot of people ticked off for being concerned about her high intake. Don't see why everyone got so defensive...geesh...

Everyone got upset because your opinion was not asked for and was completely off topic to the subject. Next time send her a private message if you're so concerned instead of making her into a public spectacle.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Mom2Emery_Liam
    Options
    200-300 but somedays under 200. I drink coffee as well with a little creamer and count that into my total.
  • Ironwoman3
    Options
    So far it goes between 700 and 1100 calories and is most of the time the biggest calorie meal for me.

I just looked at your diary. Your daily goal is 3,220 calories!!! :noway: That seems extremely HIGH and I do not think you are going to see weight loss or a change in your body if you are consuming that many calories and especially breakfasts at 700-1100 calories :noway:

I write this out of concern for you and your health.

I agree with this post... There are days when I eat 2500-3000 Calories.... But those are days when I burn 3000+ calories riding my bike for 4 hours or running and biking pretty much half the day! U need to make sure that whatever u do, u have a calorie deficit! Most days I eat about 1600 calories... 300-350 for breakfast and then an am snack like an apple or banana 2-3 hours later.
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Hee, that's how I feel 80% of the time around here, in all honesty.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 100-400 cals. It all depends on the days activities. If I plan on hiking or working in the garden for hours I have a bigger breakfast. If I'm just going to sit at my desk for hours then I have a smaller breakfast.
    It's usually oatmeal or whole grain hot cereal at work followed by some fruit an hour or so later. And at home I usually have some type of baked good (I love to bake) and fruit and vegetarian bacon.
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. Your daily goal is 3,220 calories!!! :noway: That seems extremely HIGH and I do not think you are going to see weight loss or a change in your body if you are consuming that many calories and especially breakfasts at 700-1100 calories :noway:

I do lose weight, thanks a lot. When the body is such a mass like mine it has a far over 4000 calorie burn Daily just to keep the weight it has, when i eat almost or even more than 1000 calories LESS than i need to keep my weight i lose weight. I know what i am doing :)
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    And as it has been stated, yes i cannot hop on a scale to see how much i lost because the scales don't go high enough. but i am measuring neck, waist and tummy. And if i would not lose any weight i would not have lost 10 cm around my tummy.. just saying :)