Biggest Loser thoughts

Options
I admit I watch the Biggest Loser...every year I swear Im not going to but it is like an accident scene that you know you really don't want to look but end up gawking as you pass by regardless.

Well last night we had it on and my fiance said "This show is terrible". He said, "They are putting these people with eating disorders in a room filled with junk food for 4 hours to test them. If this show was about alcoholics and they forced them into a room with a fully stocked bar people would be outraged!"

He had a good point. People with other forms of addiction problems seem to get a lot more sympathy and respect than those with eating disorders... they are simply looked at as if they are lazy and that's it. I know this is a TV show and everything is amplified for drama and shock value but would they have done such a thing to the contestants if they were suffering from alcohol or drug abuse?

What do you all think about this......food for thought (pardon the pun :wink: )

Replies

• bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'm glad i got an ipad for xmas..now i can play on it while they do all the dime store psychology on the show. hate that part, like the challanges.. love the workouts and weighins.
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    lol Mike that's what I was doing...I was on MFP planning my meals for today!
  • jynnantonnyk
    jynnantonnyk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree that a lot of these shows go for shock tactics and I guess it's for the benefit of us at home, for us all to be appalled at the volume of food and see if they can be 'broken' like some kind of gameshow :(

I guess the difference between alcoholism, drug addiction and food disorders is that they often advise a person that has a drink problem to completely abstain from any alcohol. With a food addiction that's impractical as we all need food to live, we can't cut it from our lives.

It comes down to choice, the choice of food we eat, the choice to exercise or watch tv etc

I think they should always focus more on the peoples attitudes throughout the process, how hard they find week 1, week 2 they try new healthy recipes, week 3 their endurance in exercise grows so that us watching at home can realise that while it's hard at the start, making those choices doesn't have to be a gruelling test of willpower.

A lot of the shows criticise people who have fallen into years of habit and just do what they have done for a very long time. Yes, we all need a kick to make us realise its time to change but no one said when they were a child:

"When I grow up I want to be morbidly obese with chronic health problems"

Help those who want help, the people know they're fat, they don't need someone yelling in their face on tv!
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    What I didn't understand is why they couldn't work out in the room? pace around? Squats? Lunges etc. That was what seemed cruel to me. First time ever watching the show. I'll probably watch again next week. My roommate and I are doing the card workout today. But instead of thrusters --dips.
  • Jesmoko
    Jesmoko Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I love the show, it's like a parody of modern western culture. A reality TV competition to lose weight and win money. That is just genius, and it's funny to see all of them wobbling around. Makes you feel better about yourself, no?
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I also just chatted with my roommate about this. She brought up a good point...The challenge was reflective of childhood obesity. and how KIDS sit around with junk food and video games that their PARENTS provide. A 10 year old doesn't grocery shop so he doesn't have say in what he is surrounded by. So he is in the same situation of crap good and comfy couches all the time.
    They should have emphasized that point of it being a KIDS environment.
  • cindiva65
    Options
    I agree Chuckles. First thing I would have done was to look for a way to work it to my advantage the best I could. Move the food stuff to one corner of the room and the furniture to the side of the room and get moving....unless they were specifically told they could not do that?
  • cindiva65
    Options
    Yes Chuckles, we discussed that too. We were saying how if we buy the "junk food" and have it in the house readily available of course we are going to eat it. We often think we are treating our kids (mine are grown and gone now) by buying them the stuff they want but in essence we are creating an unhealthy environment. Kids (and adults) will only eat what is available in the the house!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hate that show...but then again I hate all "reality" t.v. I personally don't know how any of that stuff is entertaining...but apparently I'm in the minority as there seems to always be a new one popping up and their ratings are through the roof.
  • dacra
    dacra Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I really like watching the Biggest Loser! I loved the idea to do exercises to a deck of cards...definitely thinking about trying that sometime!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    What I didn't understand is why they couldn't work out in the room? pace around? Squats? Lunges etc. That was what seemed cruel to me. First time ever watching the show. I'll probably watch again next week. My roommate and I are doing the card workout today. But instead of thrusters --dips.

That card workout was both ingenius and looked like torture.
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't remember if they were told they could NOT exercise while locked away...but if they did, you can bet it was edited for effect.

I watch the show for entertainment. I know the results are not "typical", it's still motivating nonetheless.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hate that show...but then again I hate all "reality" t.v. I personally don't know how any of that stuff is entertaining...but apparently I'm in the minority as there seems to always be a new one popping up and their ratings are through the roof.

I couldn't agree more!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I thought the junk food room was really useless. This is basically how they were already living, and being with temptations isn't really a helpful tactic.

Also, what is with the disappointment of losing 2 pounds? I know they want to lose it asap, but a loss is a loss. They make people feel like they are failing if they don't have a high loss each week.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    The point of the losing team being stuck in that for 4.5 hours was to illustrate the 4.5 hours per day that many children spend in front of a TV and video games, eating unhealthy snacks. All of the contestants talked about feeling lazy and sluggish after being there that long, which is important to remember for our kids and ourselves: doing nothing typically leads to doing more nothing.

I also wondered why they couldn't get up, walk around, do tricep dips off the table or couch, something. They didn't exactly try to fight the inactivity, but maybe they were not allowed to. Allison said a few times they could not work out in there.

It is a TV show competing for ratings, and people seem to love drama, so that will always be there. I personally really like The Biggest Loser. I read during the crybaby fits and melodrama, then come back to it when they are working out or doing the competitive challenges.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options

I was wondering the same thing. But they may not have been "allowed" to! I love the deck of card workout!! Go Bob! I did like what Francelina did the first day...dowse it all in orange juice!!
  • Colliex3
    Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I just started watching this show, and I think what they are doing is amazing. Showing these adults what it is like to live the life of an obsessed child or any child for that matter, it takes serious self control not to eat that kinda food. And honestly if they can sit in there for that long with out eating it then those people deserve to be on the show... just my opinion. Wont lie I wanted to try the Bubble Gum Pit it looked fun ahaha
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I'm confused. I watched it and they did a card workout in the room- why do you say the couldn't work out?

The show is half workouts which is interesting and half forced weigh in drama. I wish they'd cut the weigh ins down to an efficent 2-4 minutes and focus on the really important aspect of weight loss: what they're eating and how much, food prep, etc.
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    The reason they had the group in there was to help people realize how sedentary our kids have become. As they stated in the show, most kids spend 4 hours either watching tv or playing video games. While it would be difficult for an adult with an eating problem to face a room such as that, the main point was to illustrate to America what kids are doing or not doing.
  • cindiva65
    Options

I agree there are WAY to many, I never watch TV much at all anymore. I call them "fake-ality" shows. BL is no different....certainly not reality!!! I only watch it to get some motivation to exercise and get healthy. I see the results they get albeit extreme and I am able to take what I can from it and apply it to my own real life. I never exercise til I puke etc. Craziness. If I can lose 1-2 lbs a week Im very happy!