Tracking Bar Method Calories

Options
I'm new to My Fitness Pal and am trying to figure out tracking for the things I eat and do regularly. One is Bar Method (live classes, not DVD). For those of you who go to Bar Method, how do you track your exercise? Classes are 60 minutes, but it's hard to break it down into cardio vs. strength training and the specific types of activity (push up, sit ups, general butt kicking). I was thinking of using the "calistenics, vigorous" category but it comes up with a pretty whopping calorie count. Anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks!

Replies

• 6punkins
    6punkins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just found your post, was hoping to see some replies! :(
    For me, I use the DVD's because there are no classes in my area. So I don't know how different the pace is, but I use the "calisthenics, vigorous" title, and try to estimate how much time is actually spent exercising rather than stretching. I estimate about 40 minutes (the dvd's are 50-55 mins). So decreasing the time spent doing that exercise category brings the calorie burn down to about 365, which is mid-range for what Burr says on her blog is average (200-500). Hope that helps you! :)
  • BizFabulous
    Options
    I found these two blog posts from people who monitored their calories burned. They might help narrow in on a more specific number:

http://www.fitorfake.com/archives/493
    http://sarahfit.com/bar-method-calories-burned-during-class/
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Just saw this. I have worn my HRM a few times and usually burn around 400. Most of the time over, sometimes just below. BTW-I am 5'7" and 151lbs.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I just did the Bar Method Super Sculpting I DVD with an HRM. I burned 318 calories. I'm 5'2" and 123 lbs. When I do Change Your Body, I burn about 227 calories. Zumba on the XBOX -- 45 minutes medium intensity is about 387 calories for me.

I don't quite have the hang of logging exercise yet. I was hoping for better results from fitbit, but I have a polar HRM.