just not losing the weight :(

Options

Replies

• TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    As many others have sad, you need to up your calorie intake - particularly as you also say you're exercising quite a bit. Since you're only looking to lose a little bit, you may need to reassess your time frame as well. As many others will attest, the last couple of pounds are always the hardest. You also need to fully commit to tracking what you eat, not just the calories count. Good luck!
  • angeeishere
    angeeishere Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My best advise is to eat more. The moment you start to eat a balanced diet in maintenance you'll gain as your body will store fat. I've lost 66 pounds by doing this, when I'm at a plateau I up my calories by a small amount till the scale moves. Hope this helps you some, feel free to friend me if you wish :o)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Check this thread out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

and read about Staci:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Just two great links I like to share for folks that think they need to exist on the 1200 calorie per day life.
  • lealea_2012
    lealea_2012 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    definitely not going into it half arsed.. that's why i've cut my calorie intake so dramatically because i am so determined to do this.. i was quick adding everything because it was only for me to see as today is the first day i have been on the forums. now i realise i need to change what i am doing in order to lose it.
  • lealea_2012
    Options
    thanks i will take a look :)
  • lealea_2012
    Options
    awful isn't it :( apparently i need to eat more..
  • Shal1217
    Options
    1. A 0.5-1lbs per week loss is actually healthy, any more, especially with the amount you're looking to lose wouldn't be.
    2. You may be under eating. Everyone assumes cutting calories dramatically will make a difference but it often switches your body into starvation mode *FYI, the minimum cals you should be eating is 1200, and that's BARE minimum*.
    3. Changes take time. You can't expect to lose as much in 2 weeks as someone who weighs 350lbs will because you just don't have as much to lose. It takes 4ish weeks or so for your body to get into the hang of things.
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    definitely not going into it half arsed.. that's why i've cut my calorie intake so dramatically because i am so determined to do this.. i was quick adding everything because it was only for me to see as today is the first day i have been on the forums. now i realise i need to change what i am doing in order to lose it.

You are setting yourself up for serious failure eating under 1000 calories a day. You can damage your organsand mess up your metabolism for good. You need to eat more. A lot more. perhaps even double your calories. 800 a day is not acceptable.
  • porkchop_13
    Options
    you should definitely give it more time. I've gone weeks without losing a single pound so I now i just don't use the scale. I judge my weight loss by the way my clothes fit. Good luck with your journey!
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You're on track! I think most people tone up before they start really losing weight. The body needs to kickstart its metabolism and in order to do that, it needs to equip itself. In order to equip itself, it builds muscle which in turn burns more calories than fat does. You'll get there!

33678285.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Um no, just no

Yes! "Toning up the muscles also helps strengthen your body to burn off calories."
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/394835-losing-weight-toning-up/
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    The body needs to kickstart its metabolism and in order to do that, it needs to equip itself.

Um no, just no
    [/quote]
    Pretty sure the kickstart was what really warranted the comment.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    You're on track! I think most people tone up before they start really losing weight. The body needs to kickstart its metabolism and in order to do that, it needs to equip itself. In order to equip itself, it builds muscle which in turn burns more calories than fat does. You'll get there!

33678285.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Um no, just no

Yes! "Toning up the muscles also helps strengthen your body to burn off calories."
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/394835-losing-weight-toning-up/

it sure does, but not on its own as you have implied. You need to actually do something to build muscle and it takes more than 2 weeks to do so. Also Trogalicious is correct.

ETA: At the calories she is eating, or rather not eating there is no muscle being built, that is for sure
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, it's implicit that you need to do something to rev up your metabolism. It won't do it on it's own-- figured people knew that.

Anyhow, you're right, she does need to eat more calories.
  • eclaflin
    eclaflin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what most have said. You have GOT to eat enough calories. I know it's hard to wrap your head around, but 1200 may be too low for you. Especially if you are exercising a lot and/or overweight. Ask your doctor. He/she will be able to give you a TRUE calorie intake goal for the day given your height, weight, etc.

And as others have said, you have GOT to log the foods you eat. And you have GOT to stop eating Weight Watchers crap! That stuff is so incredibly processed and nasty. It's hardly "food". You may lose weight, but you'll end up with cancer or something :) Seriously, though, eat whole, natural foods as much as you can. And PLEASE stay away from fat-free foods. They are chock full of carbs which turn into sugar in your body, which then turns into fat. You can read a million articles online why fat-free foods may have caused more health problems and obesity in the US than any other diet "trend". Just eat FOOD. Real food. Not altered and processed food. Not scientifically "improved" food. REAL food (mostly plant-based).
  • natashanjones
    Options
    have you tried detoxing with raw fruit and veggies? that helps out
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    also heard it could be that my fat is turning to muscle as i have been working out a lot

Oh dear. Fat cannot turn into muscle. They are two very different things. Like your eyeball cannot turn into your nipple, or like your hair cannot turn into your finger.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    hi i was hoping for some advice. i started fitness pal just under 2 weeks ago and so far i haven't really noticed much difference apart from my clothes feeling a little looser. when i started on the 2nd of jan i was 10 stone and a quarter and today i am 9"12 and a half so i have lost less than 2lb. could somebody maybe take time to look at my food diary and tell me what i might be doing wrong as it's so irritating!! i wanted to get to 9 stone by the 23rd of next month but at the moment it just doesn't seem dooable :( i have drank nothing but water since the 2nd of jan so really hoped for more of a difference than this. i have been told it might be that i have lost inches rather than pounds but when i started to diet i didn't take measurements so it's hard to tell if that's true. i have taken measurements today though so i can keep track from now on. also heard it could be that my fat is turning to muscle as i have been working out a lot but if that's the case how long until i will start seeing a difference on the scales? would really appreciate some help and advice. thanks xx

You can not increase your fat-free mass (muscle) while under a calorie deficit. With that being said, your "fat" isn't turning to muscle!!! I would recommend finding out what your true TDEE is and create your deficit from there (usually 250-300 calories below TDEE). I would also suggest that you measure yourself and find out what your body fat % is. The scale is just one tool used during weight loss.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, it's implicit that you need to do something to rev up your metabolism. It won't do it on it's own-- figured people knew that.

This is incorrect. What's implicit is that your metabolism is already working and revved up on it's own - otherwise, how has any fat person been even living?? You don't have to 'jump-start' or 'kick-start' or 'rev-up' your metabolism.

http://baye.com/fat-loss-myths-part-1-overweight-people-have-slow-metabolism/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/your_weight/medical_myths.shtml
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think others have pretty much covered the issues but one thought I have for you is to switch around when you eat what. You're starting off the day on very little (100) calories and each meal increases. Try eating more earlier in the day and less later in the day. While you're up and active you'll burn more calories than at night/rest.