Spaghetti Squash

Options
scorpia1977
scorpia1977 Posts: 76 Member
Hello!

I am going to bake a spaghetti squash this evening for dinner and this will be my first time ever trying this. I have been wondering if I will be able to re-heat the left overs. Is this possible with spaghetti squash?

Thanks!

Replies

• BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    We eat spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti noodles. And yes, when we have leftover spaghetti squash, we do reheat it; it is still good. First time I baked the spaghetti squash, I didn't bake it quite long enough and the the spaghetti noodle was crunchier than we liked. However, second time around, I baked it a tad longer and it was wonderful.
    :flowerforyou:
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    We eat spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti noodles. And yes, when we have leftover spaghetti squash, we do reheat it; it is still good. First time I baked the spaghetti squash, I didn't bake it quite long enough and the the spaghetti noodle was crunchier than we liked. However, second time around, I baked it a tad longer and it was wonderful.
    :flowerforyou:
  • scorpia1977
    Options
    Very cool...........thank you so much!
  • SuperMammaLeah
    SuperMammaLeah Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I picked one up as well, and will be trying it later this week. I will share what ever I learn about cooking this veggie with you.
  • SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It is very yummy. It reheats up easy. You will be hooked.
  • Aimeyhannners
    Options
    I had never tried Spaghetti sqaush until my daughter made a yummy recipe fromSkinnytaste.com I think it's called parmesam spaghetti sqaush. Now I am hooked and looking for other recipes.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    There are some great recipes on www.fabulousfoods.com

I baked my first one but overcooked it. Have read that some folk prick them all over very well and microwave for around 8 minutes. There are other threads on here with heaps of recipes/advice if you search for spaghetti squash. :)
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    reheats well. As someone above mentioned already the first time I cooked one it was still crunchy and needed to be cooked longer than what my recipe stated.
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! ENJOY IT! It is a great noodle alternative!
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    it is definitely one of my favorite foods...

I drizzle a tiny bit of evoo/oregano/basil and diced tomatoes...delish!

another good idea add lemon juice/parsley and just a smidge of I can't believe its not butter(you could add parmesan too but I dont eat cheese!)

I honestly could eat this everyday!!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    i had shrimp and spaghetti squash tetrazzini last night. not only was it delicious, but it will also make for a quality left-over night later this week.
  • pwilly1973
    Options
    Yes, it actually holds the texture quite nicely the next day. You would not think so, but it does. The flavor stays the same. However, 2 to 3 days after, I would suggest you get rid of it.

Good luck and enjoy

Paul
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I cook one about once a week. I live by myself so I'll get a few meals from it - microwaving leftovers.

I've been cooking them in the microwave for about a year now:
    Slice it in half long ways - you need a really sharp knife and pretty strong arms. Scoop out the seeds. place it cut side down in a microwavable dish. I use a square glass casserole dish. Fill the dish with about an inch of water, and pierce the skin with a fork. It can take anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes to cook half of the squash in the microwave. It depends on the size of the squash and how powerful the microwave is. I don't like my squash too soft, I like when it is still a bit firm so I'll start checking after 5 minutes. If you poke it with a fork and the fork goes in without you having to stab it, it is probably done, if the fork tears at the flesh it is probably over cooked.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • scorpia1977
    Options
    Oh my gosh you guys, thank you so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Tried it for the first time last week. LOVED it and took some to work with me the next day.
  • Debrann310
    Debrann310 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It freezes really well also. I always freeze half and it still is very good defrosted and then microwaved.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    We tried it once, I think maybe we overcooked it because it was not like spaghetti at all. Broke far to easily, and some mashed, but still very tasty.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I saw this recipe on skinnytaste, it sounds delish. Here is the link, and I am going to freeze leftovers.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/cheesy-baked-spaghetti-squash-boats.html
  • stantheman36
    stantheman36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you put it in micro for couple of minutes then cut it in half it is a lot easier. But I have found it cooks better in micro than the oven very easy fast and clean up is a breeze

I add just about anything you could imagine and so far so good love shrimp with it and a can of diced tomatoes.
  • scorpia1977
    Options
    Well, I made my speghetti squash for dinner tonight. First time ever making it as well as eatingit. It was different. I am going to try to experiment with it because I thought that it was missing something.