PCOS Help

Options
So I was diagnosed with PCOS yesterday and I am really bummed about it!! I need help to learn how to deal with the disease and how to work around it and lose the weight that I want. I want to manage this and be healthy and happy and not worry. I was told that if you lose weight it will help with the symptoms. Please help!!!

Replies

• Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump so funnygurl97 can see :)
  • bailuna
    bailuna Posts: 56
    Options
    I highly suggest looking up the PCOS group here on MFP. It's a great resource.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've read research that suggested low carb diets are the best for weight loss when you have PCOS... May be worth researching it.

Zara
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Low carb helps. I have to take Metformin to have any luck with weight loss (insulin resistance typically goes along with PCOS so it helps to break through that weight-loss resistance it can cause). That's one of my main motivators to lose weight- to know PCOS to the curb!
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. Was diagnosed 6 years ago. I have found that the same thing that works for everyone else, worked for me too. I made excuses, said I was special, said that I had to do things differently. I have found that, really, I do what normal people do, and sometimes, it is a little slower, but it still works.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I believe sugar was the culprit for me with PCOS. Low sugar / low carb diet helped me significantly!! Tons of water!! Cut out all tonic/juices that are loaded with sugar! It was tough because I have super big sweet tooth, but once you notice the change you will want to keep up with it! Good luck!!
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been battling with PCOS for years. It feels like it's almost impossible to lose weight!

Once you start consuming fewer carbohydrates and more protein, you'll notice a change and start losing weight. I started tracking my weight daily for a solid month to compare fluctuations with carbohydrate consumption, it was great to see the proof that my body just doesn't handle carbs well. Give it a try and see.

Don't feel too discouraged though, you CAN lose weight with PCOS! Just takes a little extra work! ;)
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Low carb is the best way I've found to lose weight. Low carb combined with metformin really helps with the cravings and wiith helping me feel in good mental health daily. It's just so hard to follow, and I fell off the bandwagon. Again. Trying to get back on.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in February of 2012, originally they put me on Metformin, which helped get my weight loss started. In June I discovered the Paleo/Primal diet, which given that PCOS is basically diabetes in your ovaries, has been ESSENTIAL to my weight loss. The basics of the diet are that you stop eating grains, legumes, and sugar as well as all processed food, and eat a diet rich in whole foods like lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, good quality meats and fat. I was struggling with fertility before Paleo, and 3 months after starting this diet I got pregnant (sadly it ended 2.5 months later, but hey! at least I know I can now). The reason why this works it that it eliminates the foods that turn straight to sugar in your system, which is what causes the insulin response, which is exactly what ISN'T working in your ovaries right now. I eliminated those foods and the weight started to come off (it didn't fall off, but I went from 1-3 lbs per month to 1-1.5 lbs per week pretty consistently). If you're interested in Primal/Paleo there is a group on here for that, and I also recommend the PCOS group too! Feel free to friend me, I'm always looking for others with similar struggles to support and be supported by :) Also, message me if you'd like more info, I love to share!
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What kind of symptoms do you have if you don't mind me asking? I was diagnosed in 07 but I don't present like most cases do. Tere are some issues I have that are not okay with me though. Personal issues...
  • mrs_card
    mrs_card Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and yes weight loss is the key to success and to reduce and sometimes even eliminate some of the symptoms associated with PCOS. I don't really do anything crazy to lose weight and control my PCOS symptoms. I am on NuvaRing birth control to keep TOM and my hormones more in check and then I just count my calories and get some light to moderate exercise in at least 4 times a week...typically walking, workout dvds or stationary biking. Don't let PCOS scare you...you can be in control. Good luck!
  • aatlchavens
    aatlchavens Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I know it can be incredibly overwhelming. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago, and like others have mentioned, a lower carb lifestyle is what works for me. My weight loss has been slow, sometimes agonizingly so, but it is far from impossible. I have found my symptoms do seem to be better now than they were 3 years ago when I was at my heaviest and most frustrated.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The key is to stick with it. I have been on here for almost a year and have only lost 22 lbs. Doesn't seem like a lot but to me, the victory is in logging every day and trying to find what will work. I recently started lifting weights and cut back on cardio. I also try to be conscious of my carbs but I don't count them. and I take Metformin. One thing I would recommend would be to figure out what symptom is most important for you to get rid of and work on that. My irregular cycle and hair loss really bothered me. Happy to report that both are now under control!
  • dolly3186
    dolly3186 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS also when I was 17. I'm 27 now. I guess the information 10 years ago wasn't as much as it is now, because back then my doctor told me I might never have kids and all this scary, scary stuff. I was devastated.

I immediately began researching and eating healthier. When I was diagnosed I was 225 pounds at 17 years old. I got down to around 170 years later and found out I was pregnant. (So much for never being able to have children - PAH! I have two now.)

My PCOS completely vanished and I don't have any traces of it at all anymore, no weird periods, no cysts anymore, nothing.

If you're feeling overwhelmed, remember this CAN be reversed...at least it was in my own personal case. :) Good luck! Weight loss is one of the biggest and most important things with this disease.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 years ago. I try to get the majority of my carbs from fruits and vegetables, and only eat a little bread - it's what my doctor recommended. When I follow what I was told to do, I feel so much better. I met the 10% weight loss they recommend and I feel like a completely different person. A lot of my symptoms (the body hair especially) are fading. Being back on BC probably helps my period-y symptoms, but I just feel better. The only meds I'm on are BC.
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have gone low carb (usually, sometimes the bread calls to me :D) and lost 45lb in 6 months. You really do have to integrate more exercise though, that is what I think has made the big difference for me. I walk approx 5 miles a day now, if I can't do that I head to the gym or the swimming pool and get some exercise that way.

It is do-able it's just harder and you need to figure out what combo of foods you can eat that will help you lose weight. Don't go mad and get rid of carbs completely just make more sensible choices like whole grain over white bread.

I have also discovered 'Overnight oats' which I love as they are tasty, easy, filling and really healthy.

1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup plain/low fat yoghurt
    1/4 cup of liquid - milk, water, juice whatever you want
    Any flavourings, my fave is apple sauce and a pinch of cinnamon, but blackberry and pumpkin seed was good too.

stir, put in fridge, leave overnight, eat. 1 min to make and a really healthy brekkie/lunch whatever.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So I was diagnosed with PCOS yesterday and I am really bummed about it!! I need help to learn how to deal with the disease and how to work around it and lose the weight that I want. I want to manage this and be healthy and happy and not worry. I was told that if you lose weight it will help with the symptoms. Please help!!!

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but birth control made my symptoms WORSE. So tread carefully there.

Metaformin (sp?) and Clomid are typical drugs that PCOSers try, too, I've heard mixed reviews on those, too. I've never tried them, but they seem to have 50/50 sucess rate with PCOSers.

Personally I plan to control mine through diet and exercise. Seems to be working, I'm no longer constantly tired, and my face is clearing up. I'm also seeing inches lost, though no pounds yet.

I've given up gluten and dairy because I can't have them personally, and I've also given up soy because I've researched that soy is actually bad for women with PCOS. I also eat a ton of vegetables and have cut way down on added sugars (no soda, candy, etc.) except the occasional treat. Some women find success with low carb, but I haven't gone low carb, I just eat better carbs. And lots of water, 12 - 16 cups a day.

I've also added a daily multi, b-complex, evening primrose oil, cinnamin with chromium, vitex, and milk thistle. Occasionally I'll take licorice root. Do some reseach into what added supplements you might want to take.

I've also started to rub a natural progesterone cream on myself daily.

Edit to add: 30 minutes of exercise a day works wonders. Heavy lifting 3 times a week preferred.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight through diet and exercise, no metformin (too many horror stories about it). I couldn't take birth control, it makes me feel like I'm psycho. I also don't follow a low carb diet, I consider mine more a reasonable carb diet lol! Like with any other weight loss it takes time. Compared to my friend who doesn't have pcos we still lost weight in the same amount of time so I don't think that pcos hindered my loss as all. I eat between three to six times a day, not always good food but definitely not as bad as I was a few years ago. I move more too, with weight loss the energy came back. You can definitely manage pcos with diet and exercise and I wish you the best of luck! :smile:
  • sallyburnspcos
    Options
    I generally didnt do any special exercises. It does seem to take longer than the average person to lose weight though. Even just walking 20-30 minutes a day will show fairly quixk results. One thing i did, just by chance, was start getting chiropractic adjustments. It really helped my pcos and seemed to boost my weight loss. There's more info on this site www.pcos-insulin-resistance.info/newsletter
  • elizabeth_2014
    elizabeth_2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Honestly since I was diagnosed with PCOS on Halloween, I've just decided to become healthier. I haven't done anything special, just started working out & eating healthy like I should have been this whole time. Imagine that. :P It really hasn't been hard to lose the weight.

When I was first diagnosed I was really stressed about it, until I went to talk to my OB/GYN. If he/she isn't the one who diagnosed you & you were kind of left hanging there wondering what the heck you have to deal with now, I'd go to your OB/GYN to just kind of discuss everything and ease your mind right now.

Some people will take Metformin if symptoms are bad enough, others take birth control, some take none. I personally am taking birth control because 1) I don't need any babies right now, & 2) the irregular periods were really messing me up. Since starting the birth control my periods have been regular since the very first month. Again, this is something you should talk to your doctor about.

Try not to worry/stress about it too much, you'll be just fine!