When did people start to notice loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• When I lost it the first time
    (yeah, I couldn't keep it off the first time :c)

My boyfriend's sister noticed when I had lost 30 pounds, no one else noticed except my mom and my boyfriend, I went on to lose another 20 pounds. Fifty pounds down and no one noticed/commented.
    I noticed when I lost fifteen and had to buy new clothes. I felt like such a boss buying a bunch of clothes in a large instead of XL.
  • addiepray80
    addiepray80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Once I reaced 40 lbsI was getting almost daily comments. What surprised me was being asked if it was intentional, I was quick to tell them yes and it took effort and dedication, I didn't just happen to lose the weight, if only!

I am getting that, too! I don't know if people think I'm sick or if they just think I happened to misplace 30 pounds, LOL! And now I do get almost daily comments.

I first lost about 40 over about a two year period. It was very gradual and I would get occasional comments from close friends and family that I hadn't seen in a while but most people didn't notice. Then I lost this last 30 over the past 6 months and probably starting around 20 pounds people started really commenting on the weight loss.

I have also gotten a lot of new compliments since I have bought some clothes that actually fit me instead of hanging off me or being held up by a belt and or safety pins!
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 17 lbs and I don't think it's very noticeable. I prodded my mother into noticing by pointing out the changes in how I was eating, but I wish I had waited to see if she REALLY noticed. I don't think my boyfriend has really seen a change in how I look, but he has definitely noticed the change in my activity and habits. I've mentioned to him that a few items of clothing are too big now, again kind of prodding for a comment but he still didn't say anything. For me, 20 lbs will be 10% so I'm close.

I recently moved, so I don't see all the people I used to see every day or regularly. I am looking forward to my next visit to my hometown, hopefully by then the change will be pretty dramatic. :)

Patience....
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    about 15-20 and then again at 30
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    at about 10% weight loss
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I actually got my first compliment today ... at 11 pounds! Woohoo. Granted, it was a friend of mine at work who is dieting with me, but she told me "you can tell you're losing weight." YAY!

Eleven pounds down, 56 to go to goal. (And, if you want a percentage ... 11 pounds was only 5.3% of my body weight when I started. But, in my defense, the outfit I'm wearing today actually gives me a waistline. lol) I'm a sixth of the way there!!!
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I HATE when people notice I lost weight, and try to talk to me about it. It just reminds me that they must notice whenever I gain weight as well.

Once a lady asked me what my secret was. I told her I had been ill (a lie). She said, "well, you look fabulous!" o.O
  • GreekAmericanChrissy
    Options
    After 2 weeks!
  • notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I work in a very weird environment where my co-workers think it's silly for me to change my diet to a healthier one. They started noticing immediately, but in a negative way - they would try to tell me to eat more or not exercise.

My friends, on the other hand, started noticing when I had lost about 12 pounds - right around the same time I had to buy a smaller pair of pants :)

A lot of it will depend on how tall you are. I'm 5'0", so 12 pounds makes a huge difference on my body. The taller you are, the more you will have to lose for people to start to notice. My boyfriend's step-father is 5'10" and I didn't notice any weight loss on him until he had lost almost 25 pounds!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Around 15lbs. I didn't buy new clothes, so my clothes started to look a lot bigger on me, and I think that's what was most noticeable.
  • unnur16
    unnur16 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    it started when i had lost around 25 pound (but not everybody) now im down 30 lbs and more and more people are coming up to me and say how good i look, so i think after maybe 10-15 lbs everybody will notice ;)
  • GetHotIn2014
    GetHotIn2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I started at about 270 (5'7 1/2) and have lost 17 lbs so far. I DEFINITELY notice, especially because my clothes are fitting differently and my tummy isn't as humungous as it was before. No one at work has really said anything, but that could be because they probably don't constantly pay attention to how I look. My boyfriend has noticed a few differences, too. I'm guessing once I've lost around 25-30 people will notice more. =)
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    About 15lbs for me or so! Depends on your weight, some people look way different just from loosing 5lbs!
  • kekpron
    kekpron Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    at about 10% weight loss

This about what the 'rule of thumb' is when people start to notice. -10% of your original weight.
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have since gained the weight back (but that won't stop me from losing it again).

I lost a total of 26lbs. Nobody except my mom noticed, but I think she was more-so being supportive.

Then, I went to a family gathering (with extended family that I hadn't seen in awhile) and almost all of them said something. My uncle was "blown away" at how different my face looked.
  • lindaamarie
    Options
    I'm not sure when people started noticing that I was losing weight but they really started saying things around this past Thanksgiving. My cousin came up to me at our family gathering and said "I need to look at you, grandma says you look hot now!!" and my other cousin told her "Duh she does, look at her!!". All my life my family has said nice things about my hair or my teeth but never about how my body looks. At that moment, I knew I was finally on the right track. My whole family is skinny, so getting notice and approval from them put a HUGE smile on my face! It took me losing around 30 pounds for them to start saying anything.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My mail lady noticed today!!!! :) I'm not tracking pounds but belt loops instead. I am down 5 belt loops since Oct the 1st, about to be 6.. PPl are finally starting to notice...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!