Tracking strength training

Options
I don't think I'm doing this right...

I went to a weight lifting class today and came back in added each exercise we did with how much weigh used reps and all that stuff but it is not saying that adds up to any calories.

How do I get it to count the calories for my strength training?

Replies

• LittleTrollCupcake
    Options
    I don't think I'm doing this right...

I went to a weight lifting class today and came back in added each exercise we did with how much weigh used reps and all that stuff but it is not saying that adds up to any calories.

How do I get it to count the calories for my strength training?

You can't because that is very arbitrary.
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So no one tracks their calories when they lift weights?
  • hoosierlad
    hoosierlad Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had to add it under aerobic, and the category strength training is in their database...enter minutes and it provides update. Don't know how accurate it is, but what the hey, its consistent.

I found the entries under strength training to be for only tracking sets, reps, and weight.

Hope this helps.
  • harmonyh10
    Options
    That does help. Thank you
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I too add it under cardio, under strength training.
  • LittleTrollCupcake
    Options

They don't, and they shouldn't. Lifting weights isn't about burning calories, it's about building strength which requires calories. Try tracking your gains instead and make progress that way. Remember every weight you used and strive for more reps or increasing the weights each time you workout. Looking back on that will be much more informative than looking back at a single workout and seeing calories burnt in one day.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

They don't, and they shouldn't. Lifting weights isn't about burning calories, it's about building strength which requires calories. Try tracking your gains instead and make progress that way. Remember every weight you used and strive for more reps or increasing the weights each time you workout. Looking back on that will be much more informative than looking back at a single workout and seeing calories burnt in one day.

Weigh (see what I did there) to project your goals on everyone as an empirical fact. I do track my calories burned weight lifting and why shouldn't anyone else. You do burn a significant number of calories doing strength training so why is it such a crime in your eyes for people to do that. Yes, as part of a strength training regimine one should be tracking their progress in terms of strength as you mentioned but the two concepts are in no way mutually exclusive.

To the OP, to get calories burned you have to log it under Cardiovascular. There is an activity in their for Strength Training. There is also one in there for Circuit Training. Depending on the strength training session you had, one may be more appropriate than the other. There's also a common equation that you can use (which I do) for calculating your calorie burn and inputting it manually. If you search the forum you should be able to find a link pretty easily.
  • harmonyh10
    Options

Weigh (see what I did there) to project your goals on everyone as an empirical fact. I do track my calories burned weight lifting and why shouldn't anyone else. You do burn a significant number of calories doing strength training so why is it such a crime in your eyes for people to do that. Yes, as part of a strength training regimine one should be tracking their progress in terms of strength as you mentioned but the two concepts are in no way mutually exclusive.

To the OP, to get calories burned you have to log it under Cardiovascular. There is an activity in their for Strength Training. There is also one in there for Circuit Training. Depending on the strength training session you had, one may be more appropriate than the other. There's also a common equation that you can use (which I do) for calculating your calorie burn and inputting it manually. If you search the forum you should be able to find a link pretty easily.

Thank you, I will look at the two options and take my best shot.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    until recently, i burned all of my extra calories doing strength training alone, and it works rather well. so although the numbers may not be accurate, I think it is perfectly fine to log weight training as a calorie burning exercise.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

Um, no. Some people lift in order to burn more calories at rest - not to build strength.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

JesusChrist, don't list to this girl^^^^^ She has proven herself incompetent on previous threads.

Listen to the people telling you that you can log it under the cardio exercises. Weight training does not burn as many calories per session as cardio but that's not necessarily why people chose that form of exercise. People chose to lift weights in order to gain muscle, get stronger and to burn more calories while at rest due to an increase in muscle mass.

ETA: It's pretty ridiculous how this poster is coming on here insulting people who log their weight training calories and giving OP advice about weight lifting when all the OP did was ask how log them... she didn't ask for advice regarding weight lifting.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    use this to track your strength training: http://ftcy.me/PCPhAr

a lot more fun.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    use this to track your strength training: http://ftcy.me/PCPhAr

a lot more fun.

Damn you!

Well played, Captain. Well. Played.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Um, no. Some people lift in order to burn more calories at rest - not to build strength.

Agreed ^^^^
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM to track what I burned during my lifting sessions with my trainer. Good luck!
  • EddieakaDardo
    Options
    I don't know if it does. It only report my cardio and add calories to my diet.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    track it under cardiovascular as weight lifting
  • morganfox5
    Options
    the more you lift- the more muscle you gain-the more fat you burn
    seems like something worth tracking to me.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    HRMs do not accurately track cals burned from lifting
    The additional cals burned from the amount of muscle a newb eating a deficit will gain is negligible