Depressed, fat, pissed... all the above

Options
Thanks to a co-worker for encouraging me to join I started MFP on April 13th. Information about me…

32 years old, married and new mom…almost a year now (May 25)
I’ve lost all pregnancy weight (C-Section), but still have weight to lose (at least 15)
I’ve done the South Beach diet about two years ago, and lost 19 pounds in 3 months. So, it works for me. Well..at that time it did. My son requires A LOT of attention, so it’s hard for me to cook when I get home. I work full time and usually do not get home until 6PM. I CAN cook when my husband is home, but he works nights every other week – that’s when it’s hard.
I have been doing some form of exercise (walking/jogging) everyday. I will do 1-3 miles a day…it just all depends. Normally, I push my son is his jogging stroller when we go running.
Gained 3 pounds since I’ve joined MFP. I’m in my “normal” weight range, but my waist line is in the danger zone.
Recently started taking blood pressure medication (which is also a fluid pill). SO, you would think I’d be losing weight! WTH??

Lately, I’ve become extremely depressed about my weight… Especially since I’m gaining weight!

Please help!

Replies

• kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    Hey lady, chin up. Keep at this, it will work. Sounds like you are getting in exercise, despite all else. Give yourself a pat on your back for that... and you have lost all the pregnancy weight, that is good as well. Just stick with logging food and exercising as best as you can. It will work.
  • kimmie0627
    kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    There could be a few things that can be keeping you from losing weight. Are you drink enough water??? Maybe instead of doing so much cardio try strength training. I found since I was doing more strength training that cardio I only lost to a point. Now that I have added a cardio I am back on track. Drinking enough water was a big problem. I drank more diet pop than water.

Keep you head up. After a C-section it is hard to loss that belly. I am having a hard time with that area after 2 c-sections in under a year.

Kim
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    Just looked through your food diary. Looks like most of your food choices are very healthy. Here are a couple of thoughts... looks like you aren't eating your exercise calories - you should try to eat them, mfp already sets you at a calories deficit before exercise. Your metabolism needs those extra calories to kick start it to burn even more for you. If nothing else aim to eat at least half of them. Watch out for those french fries and pizza... they hold onto those pounds. Give the wieght time to come off, sometimes I got a few weeks without losing anything... or a net gain/loss of 0, but then I will have a big week. Also are you measuring? Sometimes while I don't see a change in the scale, I will in measurements, which is motivational as well. We put so much pressure on the scale, but there are more ways then just that to see losses/changes.
  • dhitz
    dhitz Posts: 8
    Options
    Well I've heard that taking the water pills or blood pressure meds actually makes you retain water, so that's why you're not actually losing the pounds... I think you need to get your mind off the *pounds lost* and center more on just your activity level. As long as you are getting in that 1-3 miles a day- that is awesome! Most people cant even do that. You will notice small changes overtime as long as you stick with a healthy diet, good sleep, (8 hrs they say) and excersiing. Listen to your body. Are you tired? Go to bed that night earlier. If you wake up in the morning feeling good, then you can say you got enough sleep. Cut out sugars and caffeine if possible and drink water because believe it or not even though you are taking the fluid pills, drinking water will help your body push out all the yucky stuff anyways. Don't get depressed about the #. This week I worked out every day, walked a lot, and still gained 2 lbs. It drives me crazy when i thnk about it negatively and only focus on that. Just do what you can do and think about getting healthier, not losing weight, and it will happen.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Its not just about weight, its about setting yourself up for a happier, healthier lifestyle. Everyone is different, too. Maybe it would work best for you to cook larger amounts of food when your husband is home and freeze/refrigerate it for when he's not? Some people like to stop at the grocery store every single day and get healthy foods on their way to/from work.

Make small changes and short-term goals that are more attainable than large ones. If you say "this week I'm going to only drink one soda per day and drink 8 glasses of water" it's more easy to track than saying 'I'm cutting out all sugary foods" because then you will splurge for sure. Little by little make healthier changes. Switch from white bread and pasta to 100% whole grain. Try a new vegetable each week. Take advantage of your jogging/walking time to clear your mind and relax.

You can do it and we're here for you. There's always someone worse off so appreciate what you have. Welcome to MFP!
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I usually do not drink anything!!! But I have been making myself drink water -- 32 ounces or 48 is ALOT for me!

I did measure my stomach area this morning and I did lose an inch there. So, I should be thankful for that.
    I told myself this morning I would try to cook over the weekend and freeze it for the week my husband works nights. Like stylistchik said... I'll try to take it one week at a time. I really do need to get back on the South Beach diet.... it really isn't a "diet". It teaches you the correct way to eat, whole grains, lean meat, etc. I need to go to the store this weekend to get groceries, so I'll make sure I'm ready for the South Beach diet. Maybe if I tell all of you I'm doing it, I'll stick to it. I've got to get this weight off. Even my husband asked me last night if I was depressed.

I'm not "tired", but the last two days I've had to walk and not run. I just didn't have the energy.

As far as my food choices... I'll do good. It's when I'm really depressed --- I'll just say the hell with it. Like last night! Hamburger and cheese fries. I really wanted an alcoholic drink too, but I didn't.