Gym vs own routine

Options
2»

Replies

• notthatthis
    Options
    I do not enjoy exercise, it is necessary. Main reason I am constantly searching for routines that are achieved in under 60 minutes, can be done 5 times per week and challenge the aerobic system and anaerobic system and achieveing some ripping of the type II muscle fibres for growth. You can count reps and sets or you can time. Time (aerobic) and dynamic compound movements (anaerobic) are becoming the "bang for buck" aimed at "weightloss" - not necessarily the goals of other people. Think kettlebell classes, bodyweight tabata or simply

30 seconds jumping jacks all out pace
    30 seconds jumping jacks slower pace repeat for 10 rounds rest 2 minutes - gets easy then add dumbbells, gets easy, increase DB weight, jump higher, increase to 45 seconds fast, 15 seconds slow

All exercises can be done as above. You should aim to have at least 30 minutes of workout (3 exercises at 10 minutes or 6 at 5 minutes with 1 minute rest - whatever combination you choose) - 5 minutes warm up, 5 minutes dynamic stretching and then work, cool down, static stretch

Do this minimum 4 times a week, and do something you love and raises your heart beat for the rest of the time. When you have lost the weight that you want to lose, reconsider your options. For more demonstrations of this kind of exercise plan, nowloss.com is pretty good.
  • JEWIM1
    JEWIM1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out, I would do a little of both. And don't poop out on the days when you are tired. If you exercise a little everyday and push through, you will end up feeling more energized! When you start getting bored, switch it up, pick a different machine in the gym, or sign up for a new trainer. Pop in a new video, or walk with friends. Join a zumba class...there are sooo many options! Keep it interesting and you'll stick with it and find it easier to maintain the healthy eating and exercise habits you are trying to establish. Good luck!!
  • bmd8613
    bmd8613 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think you should do both
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    same thing
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If it's about forming healthy habits, do what you enjoy and can stick with to form habits. If you really want to see big changes quickly, follow a programme - but probably not one designed by your gym.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sometimes, liking the results can be enough to change your mind about a routine you hate.

sometimes.