IS IT NECESSARY TO WATCH YOUR MACROS IN ORDER TO LOSE WEIGHT

Options
Wondering how many people actually watch the macros or how many people just worry about the calories... Help wanted...lol

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I do not watch my macros, and I have lost just fine. I make a conscious effort to eat enough protein, but other than that, I don't pay too much attention. I am sure there are good reasons to watch them, but I haven't really.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    To lose weight? No. To be healthy? Yes.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Depends if you want to lose fat, or just weight.
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    I don't really pay that much attention to them and I'm losing weight, but to be honest when I bother to look, over the course of a week I'm usually not far off them just by eating fairly healthy meals with a few treats at the end of the day.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm mindful of them, but I don't stress over them too much. The only one I really pay attention to is sodium, because I know if I'm not careful that can shoot up really fast and make me retain water, which of course shows up on the scale. :(
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I keep a close eye on my calories and protein.
  • fatcat0908
    fatcat0908 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just try to make sure I keep up my daily fiber intake. I usually do that with beans and kashi cereals which rounds out my protien and keeps my carbs in check.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I feel like you're missing the bigger picture if you don't focus on Macros. You can obviously lose weight by watching calories, but isn't the overall goal to be healthy?
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    As a person, I would say it can be interesting to have a look.

As a dietitian, I would say that obsessing about numbers doesn't really lead to being healthy. Just use common sense, try to eat 'healthy' and focus on calories overall.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I really try to eat more protein, and sodium does dreadful things to me. But while I'm eating healthier, I really have to work my way into it, so for now, focusing more on caloric totals vs macros. As I get closer to goal, I hope to be eating better and better. Just need this to be sustainable.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No it is not necessary.

But, there are benefits, and MFP tracks it automatically, so it doesn't make sense to me to NOT track it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Calories = weight loss
    Macros = body composition (protein), healthy body functions (fat) and energy (carbs)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Calories = weight loss
    Macros = body composition (protein), healthy body functions (fat) and energy (carbs)

What Sidesteel and Sara said!
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If you wanna preserve lean body mass, you need to have protein in your diet, however I find that if you don't eat fat with sugars you don't really have to watch the macros so much, calories in vs calories out for weightloss regardless though
  • billthekill
    Options
    Calories = weight loss

^^
    Pretty much this
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No it is not necessary.

But, there are benefits, and MFP tracks it automatically, so it doesn't make sense to me to NOT track it.

This.

And it is not necessary to make your title all caps to get us to answer you

a564e11f_tumblr_m3b21iI9Ur1rv3ch6o1_400_zps1c9ebbfa.gif
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have lost without worrying about macros but seem to lose more efficiently if i do watch the carbs column only.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    IS IT NECESSARY TO WATCH YOUR MACROS IN ORDER TO LOSE WEIGHT

No.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You do not have to watch your macros to lose weight.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I have lost without worrying about macros but seem to lose more efficiently if i do watch the carbs column only.

^^ this