I'm desperate

Options

Replies

• RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    have you ever thought about weight loss surgery?

Yes take the easy and dangerous way out. What a fantastic suggestion! Why learn how to eat better and exercise and live a healthier life when you can get your stomach cut in half!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people will tell you - slow and steady.

You need to change your lifestyle. That doesn't mean extreme diets or activities.

It means change your life, change it today.
    (1) Start by tracking your food intake, do this for a few days and then take a real good look at what items in your diet are dragging you down. What changes can you make in your diet to stay within the MFP recommended range? Make those changes.
    (2) You should exercise. If you aren't already exercising, then you need to make a commitment to exercise 3 days a week. Doesn't have to be for hours, doesn't have to require a gym membership or equipment. Get the 30 Day Shred Tape. Or pick a video from youtube. Or start the Couch to 5k program. 30 Day Shred takes 20 minutes. Do this every other morning after you wake up. Don't put it off, don't promise to do it later. Make the commitment and keep it - 3 days a week (or more if you are so inclined)

Success will require 3 things.

1). Sustainable lifestyle changes. The key being sustainable -- extreme actions usually lead to short-term results. You need to change your life forever.

2). Patience. Results may be slow, may be small. But they add up and are easier to maintain.

3.) Committment. You must honor your commitment to your health. That means even when you want to just 'sleep late this once' - you get up and work out. You can go back to bed after. It also means sometimes you can't supersize your meal, or have the birthday cake at work.
  • Fitnfab36
    Options
    You can beat this and the high blood pressure. Be sure to exercise also. Exercise helps my elevated blood pressure.
  • pikachuFL
    pikachuFL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to a nutritionist to have them help you come up with a weight loss plan that will fit your individual needs. After that, you can get support from the people at this forum to keep on track.
  • Fitnfab36
    Options

Yes take the easy and dangerous way out. What a fantastic suggestion! Why learn how to eat better and exercise and live a healthier life when you can get your stomach cut in half!

I would not go the weight loss surgery route. I would eat healthy and exercise
  • CynthiaGetsFitClinard
    Options
    Hi there! The biggest change I made to my weight loss mix this past time was learning how to speak to myself in a sweet way. One day, I decided to count how many times I said or thought something mean about myself in a day. In 2 hours, I had said something mean (so ugly. so stupid. so fat. can't. fail. won't. never) to myself over 40 times. Two hours. If you've tried everything. Every. Thing. I would start here. It made such a difference. I'm 43. I have 3 children, 2 with special needs, and I'm in better shape than most teenagers, I know.

You can do this. Losing weight is a mind game. xC
  • Sallyafe1
    Options
    Hi Nikkidreams
    First, I understand. The new info is brain chemistry. Get rid of sugar,fats and salts in your diet. What you eat your chemistry craves. You want more.
    Make realistic decisions, it will take time. Use this site to track your food. Do behaviors that work for you, it is your decision, you own it.
    Make YOU the number one priority. It will be an emotional adjustment, just one day at a time. Clean out your cupboards, replace with real food for you.
    Brown rice, wild rice,whole grains, quinoa, nothing white should pass your lips. No white sugar, flour, bread. Only whole grains. crackers and breads. Visit the health food store. Lots of different seed to choose from and great variety of nuts. Get almond, walnuts etc.
    Books that have helped me are Dr. Phil, Bob Green, Dr. Oz, we are living in a new awareness of being healthy. This is all doable.
    You will make new adjustments. Kick out pastry,cookies, cake, fried,foods. Eat more fruits and vegetables,grains. This is basic info.
    Let me know how you are doing.
    I know this will work for you because it is the way I live.
    Good Luck,
    Sallyafe1
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey there, it does seem like you have some real incentive to make life changes. Don't look at it like a diet. Make some small changes that you can reconcile yourself to and it will make it that much easier. Take small steps toward your goal and enjoy the small victories that come daily.

Take a picture of yourself now and come back a month later and take another one. Sometimes the scale will deceive you.

Another suggestion is to find a type of exercise that you like and may even become addicted to. I found Zumba. I know it's all over the TV but I found classes at my local gym with an awesome instructor. I am so hooked that I am faithfully in the gym four days a week. I even take the time to do weight training beforehand.

I have had weight loss surgery and can tell you that it is only a tool. This is not me giving you a suggestion, as I put back 76 pounds of the weight that I lost. So I am now doing it the way I should have done it in the first place. It took you almost 39 years to put on the weight, so give yourself some time to take the weight off.

One last thing. If you happen to have any emotional issues that you might be carrying, you might want to confront those as well. This could also aid in your efforts to loose weight as well.

I hope that this helps you and encourages you to make the necessary steps you need to make to achieve your goal. ;-)
  • Nikkidreamz
    Nikkidreamz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!! I am looking forward to going all the way with my new family!!!
  • Nikkidreamz
    Options
    I see we have sooo much in common. I am willing to walk through this hand and hand!!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    how about this time try exercising instead of dieting.

desperate times call for desperate measures.
  • Nikkidreamz
    Options
    Thank you! ????
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    The best thing you can do is allow yourself time to change your eating habits. My habits have slowly evolved over the years, and it takes time to adjust. I never used to eat healthy, I would never touch whole grains and vegetables. Most of my diet was red meat and carbs. Your taste buds need a long time to adjust. When I first started eating vegetables, I hated them. Then I tried different ways of cooking them, I roast most of mine and they are delicious! Add garlic and olive oil and they are wonderful and filling. I still hate steamed vegetables, but I like them sauteed or roasted. Find delicious healthy foods and start eating them. Incorporate them into your diet slowly. Maybe one night for dinner you have something healthy like roasted vegetables and some chicken breasts, then the next day you can maybe have some carbs like pasta. The more you eat healthy, the easier it is. When you eat pasta, try not to get seconds or thirds every time. Maybe you want to sometimes, but not all the time. Then eventually you will almost never want seconds. Give yourself some slack, take is slow, and keep trying. Also, try and eat a lot of protein, it really helps with the hunger. Slow and steady wins the race. Make small changes every day and in a year, you could be a new you!
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is allow yourself time to change your eating habits. My habits have slowly evolved over the years, and it takes time to adjust. I never used to eat healthy, I would never touch whole grains and vegetables. Most of my diet was red meat and carbs. Your taste buds need a long time to adjust. When I first started eating vegetables, I hated them. Then I tried different ways of cooking them, I roast most of mine and they are delicious! Add garlic and olive oil and they are wonderful and filling. I still hate steamed vegetables, but I like them sauteed or roasted. Find delicious healthy foods and start eating them. Incorporate them into your diet slowly. Maybe one night for dinner you have something healthy like roasted vegetables and some chicken breasts, then the next day you can maybe have some carbs like pasta. The more you eat healthy, the easier it is. When you eat pasta, try not to get seconds or thirds every time. Maybe you want to sometimes, but not all the time. Then eventually you will almost never want seconds. Give yourself some slack, take is slow, and keep trying. Also, try and eat a lot of protein, it really helps with the hunger. Slow and steady wins the race. Make small changes every day and in a year, you could be a new you!

Great advice. I've coined "Making a better me in 2013!" Let's get it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    That was a story similar to mine when I turned 40!
    I had an underactive thyroid, had gone from formerly skinny to borderline obese, and HAD to make a lifestyle change. I started exercising, watching what I ate, and went from a coach potato of 139 lbs to a gym rat of 113 lbs. I'm 48 now and I'm in the best shape ever.

You have to want it and make it part of your life and be consistent. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet, but it's got to be livable.

You have a lot of choices and a lot of help - Weight Watchers, joining a gym, finding a nutritionist & trainer, etc. What works for you ?
  • tamisawyer
    Options
    #4 is soooooo important! Like the most motivation you can find is in putting yourself first.
    sounds like you have some good motivation now. You are at a point where you have to make a decision to either make some changes and get healthy or to continue to fold to instant gratification and allow your health to decline.

Advice:
    1) throw all that other stuff you mentioned out the window (struggling with weight for 19yrs, this is the year to do it, but never hold up to it, been to WW about 10 times, took diet pills, Quick weight Loss Centers,etc. None of that matters. Today is its own day. From now on, you need to get comfortable with the concept that it doesn't matter what you did yesterday - today you can make the right choices.

2) baby steps. You aren't going to lose 80 lbs this month. Or next month. It is going to take time. It will probably take a year or more. Set a REASONABLE goal, like 1 lb/wk of fat loss. Set up your MFP goals and be honest with yourself about activity levels and food intake. 1 lb/wk seems slow, but to really make a change, you need to change your lifestyle and habits. Going on a crash "diet" or some fad to lose weight quick isn't the key (plus as you have seen, they don't work)

3) start exercising. But eat back your exercise calories. The entire point of exercise is to maintain your muscle mass, not to lose weight quicker. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories your body burns, which means that you lose weight easier. You will also look better in the end. Do cardio AND lifting weights.

4) Realize that you are more important. Whatever causes you to make questionable decisions about food/exercise/health that have gotten you into your situation are, in the scheme of things, less important that your health.

5) Quit making excuses that allow you to fail. If you set reasonable goals, are honest with your logging, and have realistic expectations, the only thing left that can cause your to fail are excuses that you make. Realize them for what they are and stick to it. No more excuses.

You can do it. You are no different than anyone else. It really just comes down to whether or not you are really willing to work for it.

btw - I am in no way accusing you of anything, just the things I listed tend to be what most people struggle with. Pick and choose what applies to you! =]
  • Bonnieelizabeth
    Bonnieelizabeth Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    IN addition to what others are telling you I would recommend drinking plenty of water!Improper fluid intake can prohibit weight loss. I try to check my calorie intake and carb intake several times each day to mke sure that I am on target forthe day if over I adjust for it and LEARN from it what I can do different! I completely undrstd where you are at. I have over 100 pounds yet to loose. Rome was not built in one day and we did not get where we are at in ond day.That being said we can make the right choice for our body one meal at a time or one day at a time. You can do it. I also was on here for a bit and would not open my food log up for others to see but now I have and that helps keep me accountable to my friends . Hope this helps Best Wishes
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Maybe start off with just eating the calories and getting used to that and THEN incorporate exercise into your routine, one thing at a time.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I didn't know if i was ready to lose weight when a friend suggested this site (he was stuck on losing his last 20, had lost over 75 on his own), but i have the computer up all day so why not. I was very unhappy with my weight. Like you have done WW, weight loss clinic, gym trainers, etc in the past and way too expensive and not really an option for me at this time.

So I made a commitment to log my food and try to stay in my calorie range, since I already knew how to eat healthy. That's it...... just log my food daily. And its working! Haven started doing exercise now (bout a month) from youtube videos. Still am so not into walking outside (not sure why used to walk a ton when i worked in a big city).

Its been slow but 23 lbs in 5 months is healthy. I am not on any medication, but my dr. did tell me I was starting to get high blood pressure and told me to lose 20 lbs. 20 lbs!?! Dude, I need lose 100! i put my goal weight as pretty high for someone only 5'3" and will probably change that but 85 lbs sounded so much better than 100!

My friend who got me on this site is now off from his high blood pressure meds!

Just make a small commitment ea. day to log the food, the rest will follow.

C
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I really don't think that's needed. Just a healthy sensible approach to diet and exercise!

When you've been battling weight a long time, and have comorbid, weight related health problems, sometimes it is warranted. It was for me. I lost 130lbs after 20+ years of being morbidly obese.