Starvation mode (again probably...)

Replies

• melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    I know and I know a girl that used to be really big and then lost all the weight got diagnosed anorexic and everyone was so worried about her and everything. But, this might sound weird but I live with a girl who has/had anorexia/bulemia and I know it's wrong but I look at her and think, I never want to be like that (she is pretty though, but I want to be curvy). The depressing thing is when I hit 92 pounds lost, that's how much she weighs so I will have lost a grown woman in weight! (depressing on both sides really). OK, I'm really sorry to have sparked such concern and if I find that I'm really struggling to increase calories, I will go and see my GP about it and see if there's anything that can be done. I just want to reassure everyone now, as this topic seems to have sparked quite a lot of concern for my physical and mental welfare that I just started the topic out of curiosity and I have taken on board everything that people have said- there's been some really useful ideas, so thank you all so much for your time in helping me with this issue. xxx
  • melville88
    Can I just say one more thing though, everyone who sees me who hasn't seen me for a while and sometimes even the people I live with tell me on a regular basis how good I look and how healthy i look and do I feel better for it etc etc... it's difficult to doubt your diet method when you're getting such a positive reaction from everyone around you. xxx
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Ugh why do we do this? Men don't diet this way. I'm sorry but if you say you're full on 500 cals a day, I just don't believe it. 1300 cals a day every day is more reasonable. What you do when you eat an abnormally low amount of calories is slow down your metabolism. Your body gets used to whatever amount of food you're giving it. As soon as you start eating a more normal amount of calories, you're going to gain back everything you lost plus more. It's better to eat a smaller number of calories that you can maintain for life. Do you plan on eating 500 cals a day for the rest of your life? You're still young so please don't mess up your metabolism like so many women have. Look up the food pyramid and get the proper balance of fruits, vegetables, dairies, carbs, and protein.
  • melville88
    Ugh why do we do this? Men don't diet this way. I'm sorry but if you say you're full on 500 cals a day, I just don't believe it. 1300 cals a day every day is more reasonable. What you do when you eat an abnormally low amount of calories is slow down your metabolism. Your body gets used to whatever amount of food you're giving it. As soon as you start eating a more normal amount of calories, you're going to gain back everything you lost plus more. It's better to eat a smaller number of calories that you can maintain for life. Do you plan on eating 500 cals a day for the rest of your life? You're still young so please don't mess up your metabolism like so many women have. Look up the food pyramid and get the proper balance of fruits, vegetables, dairies, carbs, and protein.

I do eat a good range of foods and I nearly always cook my meals from scratch; the thing I eat least of is probably dairy but so many people don't eat dairy. You can believe that I'm not full if you want but I have just got used to eating less, that's all (and why would I lie about it to people I don't even know?) I know it's abnormal, thats why I asked the question. Don't worry, I will rethink my calories as I said in earlier posts, thank you for your concern. xxx
  • melville88
    And no, I don't plan to. I intended to start eating more calories the closer I got to my goal weight so that, although this would slow down my weight loss, when I do reach my goal weight then I will be able to maintain it better. I've not always eaten 500 a day... it's just something that I've slipped into whilst I've been not doing much except for studying for my university finals. xxx
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    it's great that you are feeling good, about your body. and yes your diet is working, for you it's doing what you want it to do, you are losing weight. but your diet affects so much more than your weight. a proper diet is essential to maintaining your heart health, bone health, fertility. if losing weight and looking good is whats most important to you, then you should know that an improper diet can also affect your teeth, your hair, your complexion, and your finger/toenails. when you are at an unhealthy weight, losing weight is important. how ever just because you lose the weight doesn't mean you are any healthier than you started.

if you really truly aren't hungry after only 500 calories, then you need to see a doc, because there might actually be a serious physical issue causing it. if you don't like your current doc, get a new one, doctor shop until you find one that you are comfortable with.

like i said before being skinny (or curvy) is great, but you can't enjoy it if your dead.
  • melville88
    I intend to stop when I reach 85 kilos (186 pounds), which will still be (according to BMI) overweight. I know that it affects a lot of things, but your right actually, maybe I should see a doctor because I had what he thought might have been acid reflux back in january... and thinking about it, thats when i started eating much less food etc... so maybe it's something to do with that. I'll try upping my calories first though. The only reason I want to be thinner is for my wedding day- after that it's back to butter, lol (but hopefully never back to the level I started at). I don't really mind being fat, I'd rather be fat and healthy than thin and... withered? fertility is important to me, but they say thats affected by being over weight too. What a complex system nutrition and well-being is! xxx
  • mltchel
    mltchel Posts: 6 Member
    It sounds like you're a student? Congratulations on your steady weight loss. I can see how if you're focused on studying you aren't eating as much some days. The good thing about that is you're not stress eating and you have the ability to focus on things. Probably drinking coffee or other caffiene that also supresses appetite. If you're low on calories, think in terms of eating brain food - like a strawberry banana protien shake or something. As long as your body can use everything you give it, that's great and you'll need the sustenance to stay sharp day after day!
    Keep in mind the things that are part of your lifestyle now that are working for you so you'll know how to adjust after school to maintain your healthy body.
  • jdayl
    jdayl Posts: 25 Member
    You may want to try snacking on calorie dense foods like nuts to make sure you are getting enough healthy calories without feeling over full. Trail mix can make a good snack too.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Starvation mode isn't a myth - if you are eating too far below BMR for too long you will have problems, but what is a bit of a myth is the idea you need to eat every few hours to “boost” metabolism or that skipping a meal here or there is a sign of problems to come. The human body is pretty amazing. We as humans didn’t evolve eating mini-meals or protein evenly spaced throughout the day. (If that works for you, great, but some of us only eat 2-3 times per day without snacking or grazing.) So, evolutionally, we can go a relative amount of time without eating and without experiencing negative effects. Many may be familiar with this already in the medical realm – before testing or surgery you are requested to fast, sometimes up to 24 hours. Your blood glucose and blood pressure stabilize. Each time you eat, the levels raise a bit. If you’ve ever practiced intermittent fasting for religious or health reasons, well, you know what I’m talking about.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    I also lost alot of weight before starting MFP and i have too noticed that I have become a lil more obsessed with what I eat ( calorie wise). Before MFP i didnt really track my calories i just ate good food. Once i joined MFP ( because I had stopped losing for a month) i noticed that I was eating WAY under my calorie goal ( which includes exercise calories). I have been trying to steadily increase my calories and have been doing a pretty good job of it. I honestly think the answer to your problem is that you need to exercise about 30 minutes a day. Exercise is really the key, honest! Also the exercise will make you feel hungrier so you will have an easier time eating more. Plus start snacking on fruits and veggies and eat more meat ( chicken, turkey and tuna). If you are really having trouble getting enough protein there is a good protein bar out there called " Pure Protein" each bar has 20 grams of protein and only 180 calories.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    starvation mode doesnt exist.
    ur metabolism goes down =(
    but "starvation mode" isnt real.
    eat less, lose more.

Um, what exactly do you think starvation mode is?! It's your body decreasing your metabolism to stay alive when incoming energy (food) is low. :laugh:

Sorry, and to answer the OP. Everyone is different. I've been fighting my way out of this mythical (haha) starvation mode for nearly 3 months now! I've gone from eating 1200 cals a day to an average of about 1600-1700 a day and I've still lost weight. After 4 months at 1200 calories (which was about 500 NET calories after exercise most days), my body refused to drop another pound for nearly a month. As I started eating more, it started letting go of more, but I've had to continually increase the amount I'm eating over the last 3 months. And, since I wasn't losing weight at 1200 calories a day and I AM losing weight averaging about 1700 calories a day (around 1200 NET calories after exercise), that right there is proof to me that my body had slowed my metabolism WAY down to cope with how little I was feeding it.

In short, no, I don't recommend eating so little. Nothing good is going to come of it. It will also do you some good to take a break from studying & go for a 30 minute jog or bike ride or walk each day. Relieves stress and gets your muscles working (which increases your metabolism). We can't always trust our bodies to tell us what it needs. When I weighed 270 pounds, I often got up at 7am and didn't eat anything until 10pm. I wasn't hungry. This eating habit kept me a lot heavier than I would've been if I had eaten regularly throughout the day (not necessarily because of the time I ate, but all of the circumstances the situation entailed was probably at least 75% of the reason I had gotten so big). Weighing 270 pounds is obviously not what my body needs, but that was the "natural" pattern it fell into.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Good lord people. Please stop scaring this girl into thinking she's got an eating disorder. :huh:

Bottom line is - listen to your body. If you feel hungry, eat. If you don't, don't force yourself. Make sure you get a balance of fruits, veggies, healthy proteins and fats.

If you have a day or two a week of 500 calories (especially days you don't do anything but sit around) you WILL not go into starvation mode. Everyone loves to throw around that term.

Someone who eats 500 calories every day will eventually stop burning and their metabolism will shut down. Then the body will stop losing weight and you will get sick. But this would take a certain amount of time...it isn't going to happen in a day or two.

My best advice would be to keep doing what you're doing, it is obviously working and you're losing weight. Good for you! Calorie cycling is awesome too - keep changing up the calories and keep your body guessing. Your body will eventually adjust to a steady amount of calories so it is good to keep it changing depending on your activity level, age, etc..
  • Barneystinson
    Good lord people. Please stop scaring this girl into thinking she's got an eating disorder. :huh:

Bottom line is - listen to your body. If you feel hungry, eat. If you don't, don't force yourself. Make sure you get a balance of fruits, veggies, healthy proteins and fats.

If you have a day or two a week of 500 calories (especially days you don't do anything but sit around) you WILL not go into starvation mode. Everyone loves to throw around that term.

Someone who eats 500 calories every day will eventually stop burning and their metabolism will shut down. Then the body will stop losing weight and you will get sick. But this would take a certain amount of time...it isn't going to happen in a day or two.

My best advice would be to keep doing what you're doing, it is obviously working and you're losing weight. Good for you! Calorie cycling is awesome too - keep changing up the calories and keep your body guessing. Your body will eventually adjust to a steady amount of calories so it is good to keep it changing depending on your activity level, age, etc..

I couldn't have said this better myself! :drinker:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member

I could've. "Listen to your body" is pure bs when it comes to food intake. My intention isn't to offend kdiamond here, but seriously.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    If I'm feeling hungry, I don't check how many calories I have left in the day. I eat something. That's about as basic as it gets.

Telling her she is obsessive and on the brink of an eating disorder is about the worst advice anyone can give her.

She obviously has weight to lose --- she isn't 90 pounds asking how to lose weight --- she was asking why should she eat if she isn't hungry? And she shouldn't. The body will eventually tell her she's hungry again and she will eat.

We (general public) get too obsessive and emotional over every minute detail and I'll tell ya, it isn't healthy. I believe that is why most "diets" eventually fail - we get sick and tired of obsessing and throw in the towel.
  • melville88
    I really appreciate everyone's advice and concerns: a lot of you that are suggesting I eat more fruits and veg and protein, if you look at my food diary you will see that this is the majority of what I eat and I said in an earlier post that I had to adjust my protein percentage already because I kept going over it. You also might see that I am eating quite big portions, (50 grams is a lot of baby leaf salad, great big plate full piled up high) Kdiamond, I've found calorie cycling helps too actually, I lost my largest amount of weight after Christmas and after I'd been to Egypt for 2 weeks. I didn't count cals during this time, just enjoyed myself. Whenever I go out for a meal as well, I choose carefully but I don't choose anything I won't enjoy. I do enjoy food and eating but I don't want to boredom eat just for the sake of it. Littlespy, you're right about the exercise, I'm gonna start exercising more (but after the 29/4 because omg so much work to do before then!!!)- I love swimming so I'll hopefully go a lot more.

It's so nice that everybody has given their time in helping me with this question; I'll keep everyone's advice in my mind over the next few weeks and try to adjust a little. I just want to make it clear that I didn't ask this question because I've been plateaued for a while, in fact there's only been one week where I lost half a pound (compared to about 2-4 other weeks), but I just asked because I wanted to know more about the issue and causes/effects etc. Thank you all so much, and don't worry Kdiamond, I'm not scared and thinking I have an eating disorder, I love food way too much! xxx
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,998 Member
    I think everyone has good intentions here. Obsessing over counting isn't healthy for some, but listening to our bodies doesn't work for everybody either. Eating when I feel like it is what gets me into trouble. I can't trust my body to give me good info, so tracking is vital for me. For someone else who might obsess, tracking and counting could lead to unhealthy behavior. I don't know if the OP has those tendencies, but I do believe 100 percent that she needs to rely on science right now more than trusting what her own body is telling her if she's eating only 500 calories on a daily basis.
  • milesje
    milesje Posts: 40 Member
    Yes, a day or two at 500 cal will not be too bad for you, but every day at this rate will. You need to increase you intake of good healthy foods. After looking at your diary the easiest way to do this would be to add a snack between both breakfast - lunch and between lunch - dinner. These should not be big cal snacks, something like a cup of fresh fruits or vigies, a cup of yogert, and handful of nuts. This will allow you in increase your cal intake and will help your motabolizum to increase which will lead to more weight loss of fat instead of your body eating at your muscels. Adding in a 20-30 min of exercise would also help; even if it is just doing a brisk walk across campus or around a track.
  • Barneystinson

I could've. "Listen to your body" is pure bs when it comes to food intake. My intention isn't to offend kdiamond here, but seriously.

I'd disagree that it's "pure BS" when my body says "enough is enough, push away the plate." We have natural receptors for hunger and different receptors for cravings (outside of true hunger) - problem is many can't tell the two apart very well.
This discussion has been closed.