I don't want to turn my house into a gym..

Options
124»

Replies

• Thanks I have done Jillian michaels and she is alright
    I dont need to see a doctor I am find as I said I am just a little worried about it and I had a big 9 lb 9 ounce baby so docs say it'll take a while to fully heal on the inside although the outside is doing fine. I am feeling fine, as I said I am taking it slowly before I start going crazy with insane exercises.

I am a SAHM and couldn't always get out so I started with Zumba then went on to Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. All you need is a mat and some dumbbells. The fitter you get you just try harder workouts to keep you motivated. I had a C section and the exercise strengthens your core so there shouldn't be anything to worry about. f it is hurting that much you might want to see a Dr. Good luck finding something you enjoy and can stick to.
  • Hey, thanks thats great !
    I was also considering getting a bike.
    I agree that when you enjoy your exercising it doesnt feel like a chore as much. I love to feel good about what I am doing !

I am in the process of building up my work out equipment in the home but it is so very confusing! A big factor for me is having virtually no space for anything big and bulky as much as I would adore a cross trainer of my own or something!

I have been considering getting an exercise bike, seems so convenient and you can even get ones that fold up smaller to save space! You can get pretty cheap ones on amazon but some of the reviews have left me skeptical.

Well, anything you get/do is better than nothing obviously, but really a bike is very targeted as to what muscles it works. As was suggested a rowing machine works more of your body (including your core which you mentioned was one of your target areas) and is likewise compact and cheap (as far as fitness gear is concerned).

Really though as has been suggested a few times, you are going to get a better burn / hour just doing some of the body off-set workouts available. Yoga, Insanity, P90/P90x and a wealth of others have very proven results.

Most important though is just finding something you enjoy because it makes it much easier to stick with it when it feels less of a chore!
  • Ooooh it folds up !!
    Thats sweet !
    I will check that out, thank you I appreciate it :)
    I have a treadmill that folds up- when folded, it only takes up 2feet by 2 feet or so... I have also tried Supreme 90 day- it's 10 workout DVDs for $20, and only requires a yoga ball and some weights. Similar to P90X, but WAY cheaper. I happen to be blessed with a spare room in my house, so I also have an elliptical. I love it, and it burns tons of calories. If you're sticking to DVDs, I recommend checking out www.collagevideo.com They have TONS of workout DVDs with reviews, you can watch clips, and even call for advice. Good luck!
  • nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Very true! Thank you!

The idea of getting a rowing machine completely slipped my mind! I will definitely be looking into that.

I do wish I could dedicate myself to home work out dvds, but so far nothing has kept me motivated. I am terrible and turn them off half way threw lol. The most enjoyable work out I have found is the Leandro Carvalho's Brazil Butt Lift workout that is fun but I am looking for new tactics, aka equipment I can use whilst watching something else basically! Shiva rea yoga dvds I do enjoy also. I jump rope a lot whilst watching my favorite comedy shows and this works great but I am definitely someone who needs A LOT of variety :P
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    All you really need is your own body and a pull up bar (yes, the door ones at wal mart are fine). The bodyweight program in my profile is all the exercise anyone really needs to lose healthy body fat and maintain lean mass (assuming you have control of your diet). If you feel like you'll die without cardio, do tabata style ANYTHING, or just marathon jumping jacks/jump rope.

Seriously folks, none of this stuff is very complicated! You don't need home gyms, or bowflex, or P90x or any other workout videos etc. I used the exact program I listed to lose 40lbs of bodyfat in 3mos. Try it...I promise you'll be happy with the results :).
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have three kids all boys .. I found it very hard to find time to workout... I didnt want to go to the gym so.....over the last three years I have been adding to my home gym.. I have a great set up now... I started with just an elliptical in my family room so I could watch my kids as I worked out.... I had a one year old as well 3 years ago... I love running outside too but some days its to hot,cold or rainy so its nice to have a place indoors.. as my boys are getting older they are using the home gym as well... my 10 and 7 year old get on the treadmill..and left weights.. I love it!!!! add me if you like !!!
  • dzeyher
    dzeyher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We have XBox with Kinect. There are some great workout programs that include cardio and strength training - you can also have fun games for the family so you spend your evenings playing instead of watching tv. We have Nike Fitness and Your Shape Fitness. Since we live in a remote snowy area it is nice to have an indoor workout when I don't want to show shoe. Nearest gym is 40 minutes away. We do have free weights also.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Two cans of soup make great weights for doing chest flies. Pushup can be done on any wall, bed, couch, chair, or or floor depending on your ability. Running in place, jumping jacks, butt kicks, high knees, and side-to-side slides (think roller blading) are great for cardio. Squats and bridges are great for shaping the tush....

A treadmill is nice but not necessary, especially if you don't havfe a lot of space. You can use your stairs (if you have any, I do not) and run up and down them.

DVD's are also great and there are MANY workout viseos you can use for free on You Tube. My favs are Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and The Butt Bible.

I work out at a gym that offers daycare with my membership, you could possibly look into that being available as well but being limited to at home while the weather in not the greatest for exposing your son is very possible as long as you can move a coffee table out of the way to give yourself a decent amount of room :)

Edited to add the idea above about using a gaming system is also good. I have the Wii and used to use Wii Fit. Play station has some fun dance games that will get you sweating too and (for me) taught me some things abuot dancing LOL
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    TurboFire uses resistance bands only and you need no other equipment. It's fun, hard to keep up with at first, but definitely something I would do if I didn't want a lot of equipment that could hurt a child laying around.
  • luvya7sandra796
    luvya7sandra796 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Your welcome! =)
  • shadowsaround
    Options
    I do lol