Lifting weights to lose weights?

Options

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree with your contentions about lifting weights. But i think you are selling cardio short. I can go for an hour and a half run, or a two-hour bike ride, and burn 1,000 calories or more. It is pretty easy to lose weight doing that. You cannot burn that much doing weights, even if your metabolism is ramped up by lifting.
    Besides, you cannot be in good enough shape to run 6-8-10 miles and not have a pretty strong looking body.
    Now, not everyone can run or bike that far. But they can go out for an hour and jog/walk, and burn about 500 calories. That helps one to lose weight, especially if they have trouble controlling their appetite.
    Just sayin.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree with your contentions about lifting weights. But i think you are selling cardio short. I can go for an hour and a half run, or a two-hour bike ride, and burn 1,000 calories or more. It is pretty easy to lose weight doing that. You cannot burn that much doing weights, even if your metabolism is ramped up by lifting.
    Besides, you cannot be in good enough shape to run 6-8-10 miles and not have a pretty strong looking body.
    Now, not everyone can run or bike that far. But they can go out for an hour and jog/walk, and burn about 500 calories. That helps one to lose weight, especially if they have trouble controlling their appetite.
    Just sayin.

Someone always takes these threads as an attack on cardio. No one said that cardio does not burn calories only that it is not necessary to lose weight and that cardio or diet alone can lead to loss of muscle. Not bashing on long distance runners bodies but there are many examples of marathon runners with body that dont exactly look strong. Having high endurance does not require lots of muscle or leanness. Having extra muscles can actually be less efficient for high endurance activities as it burns more cals and oxygen even though the muscle is not needed to perform the activity.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns even at rest, but the amount is neglibile. Losing weight is 100% your food intake. This is the main and most important part of losing weight. Cardio is not necessary to burn fat. However, weight loss alone can leave you as what I describe as "soft skinny". Lifting weights can drastically change the shape of your body. So moral of the story islift weights and eat a deficit, cardio optional. So to lose weight - eat less, cardio if you feel like it, and weight lifting at least 2 days a week.

Fixed.

*like*

Oops! My bad. You are right. We cardio people are just too sensitive. :-)
    Actually, I was simply trying to point out a part of the story that was not getting mentioned.
  • DeadsandOats
    DeadsandOats Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Didn't read entire thread, but here is my opinion:

Cardio - lose weight
    Lifting - lose weight and look good naked
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    Didn't read entire thread, but here is my opinion:

Cardio - lose weight
    Lifting - lose weight and look good naked

Yea Baby! Thats what I am talking about!
    :-)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? I found this program on Pinterest a few weeks ago, but I have not attempted it yet.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

I'm on week three of this program and I love it! I can definitely see some results, and since I prefer lifting to cardio it is great for me.

In the last three weeks I've put on three pounds, but I've lost inches in my waist, hips, and thighs. It is great to see the results, and realize I"m actually losing body fat as apposed to lean body mass. If anyone is thinking about stating LiveFit feel free to add me!

Kat
  • forasmallerass
    Options
    Bump for later
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    I have since read, that you cant lift weights to build muscle if you are eating at a deficit.

Most people on MFP are on some kind of deficit.

After reading this thread I started lifting a bit.

Am I wasting my time?

What can I do to get rid of FAT to reduce my Body Fat ?
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • crazylady50s
    Options
    so very true
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I have since read, that you cant lift weights to build muscle if you are eating at a deficit.

Am I wasting my time?

I think it depends on what your goals are. You can absolutely lift weights and eat at a deficit. You can gain strength and continue to lose body fat all at once. If you are looking to gain muscle mass, then no, a deficit won't work. Are you wasting your time? Heck no! I'm not sure what your eating levels are right now but for me, eating at a slight deficit and lifting 3 times a week plus a couple days of cardio has made great changes in my body. Good luck and lift those weights!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Am I wasting my time?

If you're lifting at a deficit, you're helping to preserve your lean mass. The more lean mass you keep, the larger percentage of the weight you lose will be from fat. You're doing it right.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Am I wasting my time?

If you're lifting at a deficit, you're helping to preserve your lean mass. The more lean mass you keep, the larger percentage of the weight you lose will be from fat. You're doing it right.

^Exactly.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ME!

ME ME ME!!!! also - inches in all the places.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Diet is best to lose body fat percentage. Lift (resistance training) to get strong. Cardio (fast twitch repetition) for endurance, stamina and tone.

WELL SAID. :)
  • lisst87
    lisst87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    nutrition has never had any effect on my weight, I eat far too healthy just because of taste preferences and the way I was taught to cook. (no butter, salt, fake crap, make it all from scratch etc) so i couldnt really choose to cut my nutrition down to the grind to lower my body fat.

I had to do alot of trial and error for two years before I found out what works for me. Lifting heavy at least once a week (but Id prefer three) a body weight day at least twice a week and 2 forty minute sessions of 3 mph walking (which comes to about 4-5 miles per day on top of recreational running about - im a pedestrian) per DAY.

Yeah I know it sounds like alot - but honestly - outside of the walking - thats like two and a half hours a week.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone! Great responses. Does anyone have a specific weight lifting workout that they follow and wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks again!

5x5 stronglifts. google it. youtupe the exercises if you don't know them. Do them, lift heavy, see results!

I would recommend this too and also New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    check out this workout by Jim Stoppani. it takes you from full body workout to trainning split workout. 4 phases in 12 weeks with pdf's to download and track what your doing. best of all it's completely free.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner-to-advanced-bodybuilder-in-12-weeks.html
  • amyschicos
    amyschicos Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATAH!!!!