Runners - how do I stop the, er, runs?

Options
I have been working out in the morning for 6+ months now, and I started out walking, and sometimes at the end of my walks I'd have to rush to the bathroom. Well, I've stepped up my workouts to include some jogging and HIIT, and now 99% of the time I have to take a bathroom break in the middle of my workout. How can you stop running from being a laxative? Is there something I can eat before I go to bed to clog me up for the morning? I'm just fortunate that right now I'm working out at home inside - if I were trying to go for a run outside, I'd have to quit.

Replies

• smbkrn
    smbkrn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Consistent diet. This means trying something out for a few days at a time and noting how it worked for you. Sometimes, this can be a bit flusterating until you understand how certain foods will react. I have 2 general rules: 1) Keep it light and 2) plan your route so there is an accesible bathroom (port-a-potty or gas station) along your route. If you have a hard time on shorter runs 1-5 miles, try waiting for breakfast until after your run.
  • rachelnelson76
    rachelnelson76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hubby had this problem during marathon training, found that waiting a bit after waking did the trick. He would take an hour or so for coffee to kick in, go to the bathroom, THEN do his runs.
  • Lovlilyn
    Lovlilyn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but I don't eat breakfast before my run now. I guess I should have said I work out at 5 AM.
  • Lovlilyn
    Options
    Hubby had this problem during marathon training, found that waiting a bit after waking did the trick. He would take an hour or so for coffee to kick in, go to the bathroom, THEN do his runs.

Yeah, I can't wait - I have from 5 - 6:15 am for my work out, and that's it.

Any other suggestions? Others must run (no pun intended) into this situation . . .
  • tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I haven't found anything that consistently works. I've tried ibuprofen, Immodium, coffee or warm water before-hand, eating solids, eating liquids, eating gels, not eating...

I think some of our bodies just get the urge to go more than others' do. It never fails that I get 3 or 4 miles out of town, on the wide open highway with no bushes and have to go. I call them my "poop contractions". Yes, not so glamourous, but not uncommon. Sometimes I can hold it and sometimes I have to go wherever I am. The last half marathon I ran, there was a glorious porta-potty located less than 100 yds from my "urge". I stood there clenching my butt cheeks and finally waddled to the outhouse. Had to pitch the panties, but I finished in record time!

I'd love to hear more suggestions. This has been my biggest obstacle to running. Other than just being a lard *kitten* at times in my life...
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem a couple of times - I think with me it was caused by dehydration.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    The coffee is actually a really good idea, but if you don't have time in the morning. Trying drinking a cup of decafe the evening before....I do that for races. Other than that, don't eat before hand, or very little. Don't eat a high fiber meal the night before...don't eat greasy food the night before..and drink lots of water throughout the day...
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've researched this a little bit in the past. A lot of runners suggest that the day before you do your longer runs you cut back on your fibre intake. This never worked for me though.

I suppose running just jiggles all your insides up and gets everything moving along. I don't know of a good way of stopping it from happening - its so frustrating when it does though!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when I'd run in the morning. Now I've switched my schedule to lunch time, after my morning coffee has worked its magic. I eat a snack pre-run (sometimes also during) and lunch afterwards. The trail that I go to has a porta potty right by the entrance, which is part of the reason that I chose that location.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier, drink coffee, use the bathroom, then run.

But getting up earlier when you already workout at 5am sounds miserable. This is one of the reasons I run later in the day.
  • PaulaJPatrick
    PaulaJPatrick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have only been running since August and while there were times that I felt I needed to stop someplace, I never have had the urge that bad. I was wondering what I was doing or should be doing to not have this happen so thanks for asking. The answers you have received give me the impression that it will get worse as I increase my distance, am I correct? I am not a coffee drinker and I typically run on my lunch hour, but I am hoping to run a 1/2 marathon in late summer/early fall so I guess this is something I need to watch out for.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options

This is what I found to do too. Sorry it doesn't help you. But you may have to wake up earlier so you can go before you run. :( I would watch your diet too and see what you are eating and how it affects things. I know I watch carefully what I eat before races.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    If at first you don't succeed....do the worm
    funny-animated-gifs-02.gif
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    runner-diarrhea.jpg

Just be glad this isn't you.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Poop with all of your might before heading out.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Poop with all of your might before heading out.

In a natural squatting position!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't think longer runs will necessarily affect you if it isn't already a problem. I, thankfully, don't have this issue (I DO have exercise induced rhinitis which is annoying but not nearly as much of an issue) but it does affect my sister. She's found that simply taking an Immodium before a race often helps. She also avoids fiber and fat during the day before a long run or race.

If you normally eat a high fiber diet, cut back. You obviously don't need it, for that reason at least, and it might help the situation.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I was running. I was a beginner and I was only running 5K tops, and slow. I was injured before I was ever able to resolve the issue, so I never got past beginner. In any event, I did find that a little something in my stomach (granola, dry toast, something) made it better. I didn't feel the strong urge to "go" until a while AFTER my run, instead of as I was finishing the run.

Hope this is helpful.
  • kansasgal19
    kansasgal19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OMG this is SOSOOOOO my same problem. I really do try to go before I run in the morning. I agree with consistency of diet and lots of water - that has helped me stay regular and go first thing in the morning.

Good luck! But don't feel too bad if you have to stop to go to the restroom. Who cares! Time isn't everything. When ya gotta go ya gotta go.
  • Lovlilyn
    Options
    Thanks everyone, at least I know that it's a very common issue with everyone.

I'm not a morning person, so I'm still struggling to get up and do my exercise at 5 AM, so I really don't think I'd be able to get myself out of bed at 4:30 just to hang out until I pooped. Nope, not going to happen.

Also, this is happening to me every day, almost without fail, every morning. Usually I can tell as soon as I start running, but I can usually to a couples miles (or a good 20 minutes if it's my HIIT day), before I *have* to stop. I'm on my treadmill at home, so right now it's just the inconvenience of having to stop and go, sweating profusely while I'm on the throne. I also have a very tight timeframe in the mornings - I have to have my daughter to school every morning, so if I'm 5 minutes off my workout, then there is 5 minutes less of exercise I get that day.

Anyway, my point about every day is that I can't really stop eating fiber or fatty foods, etc., every day. Yes, I could do it for an race if I were racing, but it's not practical to change my evening diet for ever. I was hoping that instead of illiminating a food, I could add one that would help bind me up. I may try the Immodium route - just to see if I can get my body adjusted to going later in the morning.