Car trip snack & meal ideas

Options
Hi all! My family(3 adults, 2 kids, toddler &baby) will be driving from NY to FL the last week of Jan. I have NO idea beyond shelf stable fruits and nutrigrain bars what healthy snack & meal ideas would work. We are saving $(and calories lol) by not stopping at fast food places. Plus, the adults(minus myself) will be alternating to hopefully drive almost straight through.

Snack ideas I should be ok on, but are still very welcome. A trip to BJs wholesale is in order. lol I really need meal ideas beyond pb&j, and stopping every few hours at a grocery store(which we may do anyways).

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• leypb
    leypb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lots of and lots of boiled eggs. Maybe not the best for your nostrils, but they are delicious, cheap and will keep you going for hours. Apart from that just make sandwichs without mayonnaise/butter, fruit etc...
  • Mushygoo
    Options
    Are you following any diet such as Weight Watchers or South Beach? Are you talking about fast food or prepare ahead for the car food?
  • kitten7911
    kitten7911 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    almonds and beef jerky
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    wasabi peas, popcorn in ziploc baggies, pre-made toasted veggie sandwiches, grapes, string cheese...

These are a few of my favorite things.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    when we travel we bring a small cooler with fruit salad, veggies, cold cuts, cheese and some bread. you can premake the sandwiches before you go, leave them in little baggies.

Also, stonyfield makes really filling and delicious yogurt smoothies that are great for on the go.

kashi granola bars

dry cereal in baggies

make your own trail mix

hard boiled eggs
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Tuna. Make it up ahead time using mustard or salsa or both. It has became one of my favorites. Also it you are looking for meal ideals I would suggest something like baked or roasted chicken. Greek yogurt is another great thing we travel with and you can add fruit to it if you but the plain.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Salad wraps or rolls for meals. Mixed nuts, dark chocloate, fruit, yoghurt to snack on. You could bake some healthy protein cookies or bean brownies for a bit of a treat
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Buffalo jerky
    carrots
  • cassandraforbes1
    Options
    how about buying a lot off fruit and whole wheat bread ,or bagel with dry tuner
  • mommyleech
    Options
    wow 66 lbs!!!!!!! You are a heo in inspiration!!!! Good for you!!!!
  • mommyleech
    Options
    Being a military famiy we used to travel cnstantly. Now that there are tvs for cars it makes traveling easier but then what about snacks??? Here is what I came up with. We would stop every four hrs and get something to eat. I would just check ahead of time for what restruants were at the stop although I found it much better to stop at a really good gas staition so I could pick up a banana, cheese stick, hard boilded egg and water or a sugar free drink. Before we left on a trip I would make up a box with a lunch bag for each person. The bags would be handed out when we got back in the car. That would make it much easier to get the kids back in the car. They were actually excited about what thier "treats" would be. In the bag woud be a SMALL drink-less bathroom stops, 3 snacks- cheese sticks, meat stick, eggs, fruit, anything with little sugar and a game for each child. coloring bk, velvet coloring poster, small legos-you get the idea. This was a less expensive idea for eating during the trip because the kids were mostly interested in a bathroom when we stopped not loading up on food. We would also bring a cooler sometimes and just plan our stops at stop areas on the highway so the kids could get out and play and again not costs any money. I know this info is too late for your trip to fl but might be good for future trips