Adding protein to smoothies? Yes or No?

Options
2»

Replies

• graceful2002
    Options
    What peanut butter are you using that contains 12g of protein per tablespoon?
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Protein is only suppose to be max 35% of your diet.

I don't agree but hey, your body you do what you want. :wink: I find that the more (lean) protein I consume the less I eat overall, because excess carbs make me hungrier. 12 grams of protein in peanut butter is 200 calories, so actually you're saving a lot of calories by using a powder instead. Just half a scoop would only be 65 calories and would give you the same amount of protein.

I have protein shakes as i find them very filling for the number of calories. It stops me going over my calories for the day feeling hungry.
    I agree that there is lots of debate about the amount of protein you need each day, and alot of ppl look into protein when they want to build muscle.
    I would say if you feel hungry or want to try something new then try adding protein to your smoothie. If you're not hungry, manage to keep within your cals and get 50g protein a day and arn't trying to build muscle mass then stick with what you are doing.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    ...I am not into almond milk as it has more fat, more sugar, more carbs...

Unsweetened almond milk has zero sugar.

...carbohydrates are sugar.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

My almond milk has 1 g carbs per cup. I don't think it's a problem. :laugh:
  • ClaireTrev
    Options
    YES! :) I use Sun Warrior protein. I've tried heaps and this is my favourite. Very natural and "clean" as well as yummy! I find that if I have a high protein breakfast I am more full and less prone to sugar cravings throughout the day. I try to get in 50g protein by lunch.. this has worked really well for me.

On another note, I've recently found an almond milk that doesn't contain added sugar/agave - So good unsweetened almond milk. Made my day :)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

who says sugar is a problem?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

who says sugar is a problem?

TROLL! :tongue:
    OP said she doesn't want extra sugar or carbs.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I like EAS vanilla for 2 reasons - 1 it has little flavor and adapts to the fruit I put in it (usually mixed berries or tropical fruits), and 2 it has only 3 carbs for 23 grams of protein.

Oh and 3 it is CHEAP. I got a giant bag at BJs for $15 and it is taking me forever to get through it. :smile:
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend adding whey protein to your smoothies. I don't think gender should have anything to do with it. I recommend Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey protein powder. It really fits into the macros. A second protein powder I would recommend is EAS.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • nyochum1
    nyochum1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, when I said almond milk has more sugar, carbs, and fat, I am talking about sugar carbs and fat listed on the label. I'm no nutritionist, so you can sort that out. The only almond milk sold in my area is blue diamond, so that is particularly the brand I am speaking about. I didn't realize protein was such a hot debate. Just from what I've read online for my weight and activity it seems that I don't need more than max of 70 grams and I can meet that pretty easily some days without the added powder. The peanut butter I use is a natural peanut butter, so I don't know if that is why it has more protein or not. Thanks everyone for the info!