I'm fat - I need to change

Options
Hello, everyone! I've always been fat and now, at 41, I want to change. I went to the doctor this past Tuesday and I weigh 291lbs. I figured the first step to change is to write down everything I eat so I found this place.....

I hope I can get motivated to lose.....

Replies

• jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    good luck on your journey!
  • Tubbyangel
    Options
    Hi well done on making the decision to change, it's really hard but you have made your first step. Give it your best and you will suceed. Check out fat 2 fit radio it's a great podcast with loads of really good advice.

Good luck you can do it
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    Hello! Good luck to you!
  • justgnee2u
    Options
    This is definitely a fun website. Great for planning ahead on what to eat. Good luck to you! You will find lots of encouragement here!
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    You took a great step in signing up here! It's a great site if you take advantage of all the helpful tools, and great information from the people here.

You can definitely do this, great job to you for wanting to! We'll be cheering you on! :flowerforyou:
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Hello, everyone! I've always been fat and now, at 41, I want to change. I went to the doctor this past Tuesday and I weigh 291lbs. I figured the first step to change is to write down everything I eat so I found this place.....

I hope I can get motivated to lose.....

You've come to the right place, everyone here is really positive and helpful, good luck :O)
  • loonpine2
    loonpine2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You don't need to change.. you need to change what you eat.. not who you are! You are here and if you want some help keeping on track your in the right place.
  • duckfan06
    duckfan06 Posts: 20
    Options
    Good luck! There are lots of great people here to help you thru the bad times, including myself. Weight loss, I have found, is easier when you have a good support system.
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    Good luck with your weight-loss! There's quite a lot of recipes on here as well if you get stuck for ideas! xxx
  • Missspenditall
    Missspenditall Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You will do great, just take it day by day.:smile:
  • ChicagoSly
    Options
    I'm a bit overwhelmed at all of the encouragement I've already received in only the past hour. You guys are all fantastic.

Thank you from the bottom of my stomach!!!!! LOL
  • lloyd_l
    lloyd_l Posts: 5
    Options
    Well it is over whelming to try to lose weight but take it one step at a time and you'll feel better and look at yourself differently over a period of time. :glasses:
  • LycraLegs
    LycraLegs Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Get ready for a new you!

Good luck! :o)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Dude, you sound just like me about 14 months ago. I weighed 270 lbs - and I'm 5'8" tall, so that's a lot. Like you I decided to get a handle on it, so I googled "Free calorie diary" or something and here I am.

So welcome aboard, this is easy. Here's all you gotta do:

Cook smart, lotsa good filling stuff. Some fruits, lotsa veggies, some grains-cereals, some starchy stuff, some lean meat. Almost nothing fried (and certainly nothing batter dipped & deep fried), and very very little pastry/cakey stuff.

Count your calories accurately with the food guide here, and stay as close to your calorie allowance as you reasonably can. If you cook properly you shouldn't be too uncomfortable on the calorie allowance MFP will give you.

Get some exercise - work that gym, walk a little every day, something - that's a huge help. Remember to log your exercise and eat at least some (I eat most) of your exercise calories. Exercise is a self-feeding phenomenon. If you push yourself to do just a little today (it's supposed to be hard,,, it's exercise ) then you'll feel better about it and it'll be easier to do it again tomorrow. Then in a week you'll be able to do more, and it'll start to get fun. In a year you might be running 10k's,,, it's up to you.

And drink your water.

"Do - or do not. There is no 'try"
    Yoda.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: The support and encouragement you will find here is phenominal. Good Luck, remember to make small changes and enjoy yourself along the way.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I'm fat, too. Welcome to Fatville - population, us.
  • packerena
    packerena Posts: 26
    Options
    I think you all mean phat with a ph. :)

Cheesy? Absolutely, but be kind to yourself! Don't call yourself names like fat - you can do this and be whoever you want to be!
  • lovelypen50
    lovelypen50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Chicago. This is an fantastic site. Lots of Encouragment and Motivation. Just look fowrd to your journey.
  • JamesGregory
    JamesGregory Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good Luck on your new journey. I. like you, knew I had gotten fat. There's no sugar-coating it. You can call it what you want, but it is what it is. However, you have to accept yourself for right now and for what you want to be. Listen, Man, if I can do this, you can and I'm proud of you for beginning.
    Obviously you see the encouragement you'll receive. Get yourself some friends on here, eat what's best for you; no excuses anymore and exercise regularly. Even if it's only walking for 15 minutes at first.

Good Luck, James
  • chvygirl29
    Options
    Hi Chicago!
    I went to the doctor on Wednesday, and was told to keep a food journal. I was visiting the doctor to get a true weight/height measurement. I had hopes to be a canidate for Lap-Band surgery. I need to gain at least 7lbs to qualify for surgery. My doctor didn't recommend it, but instead told me to track every bite going into my mouth. I have to admit, I HATE tracking food. But I found this site yesterday, and it's already making it easier. I hope to find the support I need to do this on my own. No Bands, No Cuts, No crazy liquid diets! I hope we both find sucess here.:flowerforyou: