Uhh... self sabotaged.. HELP pls?!?!?

Options
Ok so I totally just had a Dr Pepper and some chips.. totally unplanned and threw me off my diet. :/ How do you guys fight the cravings?? Do you know of anything I can do to burn some of those cals fast???

Replies

• treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I look at the calories before I shove it in my mouth...that almost always makes me think twice. Once I see how many calories there are I start hunting for something that will satisfy but is much lower in cals. Usually works out to be popcorn or some sort of beef jerky. And if I am craving a pop, it's always a diet. Good luck.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Try and make up for it tomorrow.
  • Ldavis65
    Options
    Spin class is a great calorie burner!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    By "threw me off my diet", do you mean that you passed the caloric goal set by MyFitnessPal?

What is your daily calorie goal?

You could do whatever kind of physical activity you might like to burn some calories. I would also recommend not getting down on yourself, and budgeting your cals to allow fr the occasional splurge on things you like.
  • dianita01
    dianita01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well, what I do is I let myself indulge in one unhealthy craving a week. I find that my cravings usually don't last, so I take my time deciding what that'll be. By the end of the week there's usually one thing that I really wanted and I can eat it without a guilty conscience.

Don't worry too much about burning it of "quickly"- no one eats perfectly all the time. Focus on what you've been doing right, and stick to it. Good luck! :)
  • elizabeth_2014
    elizabeth_2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I honestly just give into them. Not saying that every single day that I crave ice cream or a candy bar that I have one, but every once in awhile I treat myself to a, well, a treat. It's all about moderation. Learning how to not over eat on treats, but also not completely suspend them from your life.

Don't feel awful about it. Just eat a little healthier tomorrow. :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk or something, or keep your day a little more tight tomorrow.
  • Black_Widow1976
    Black_Widow1976 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    don't worry...once in awhile isnt so bad but all the time its not a good idea.

wait 10 min and have a glass of water if you are still wanting to much on something go for something like hummus with veggies or popcorn.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Maybe some self examination could help?

Like, asking yourself why do you feel like you don't deserve to be a healthy weight?

Worked for me, I have issues with my mother - she neglected me and I felt deeply unworthy, once I started to confront those demons I could move on and stay on the right track more easily.

Just a thought.
  • dallensutton
    dallensutton Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How many cal/kjs in the dr pepper and chips?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Ok so I totally just had a Dr Pepper and some chips.. totally unplanned and threw me off my diet. :/

How did it throw off your diet?

Answer : it didn't.

This is why diet's fail. You do one thing wrong and it's ruined. This is not the case. To be successful in losing weight and then keeping it off, you need to realize that you're never going to be perfect. Get over it, move on and continue eating the best you can.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I make note of how much caloric damage a slip like that does to my day, and the next time I'm faced with the same choice, I take the time to consider how I will feel if I eat that thing or if I don't. Then I make a rational choice.

Sometimes, I want that "thing" so much that I'll choose to have it and face the damage to my plan. Sometimes not.

There aren't any tricks to make it easier. There are just a whole lot of choices, one after the other, from here to forever. If you choose to eat healthy and stay in your calorie range most of the time, you'll most likely lose weight. If not, you won't.

No one is perfect, and no diet has to be perfect. There is room for treats, cheats and moderation in all things.

You could get a good workout before bed, or get up and work out hard tomorrow morning to make yourself feel better and ameliorate a bit of the caloric overage for the week.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Its not about perfection. Its about a long and steady lifestyle change. I'm drinking a beer while I'm writing this and am about to eat some ice cream. Neither one of those is going to hurt me because they work into my calories and macros for the day.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Two quotes by other MFPers that I keep on my profile to remind me to keep moving forward :

"Don't worry about yesterday. You've got the knowledge to go forward and that's all that counts" - MFPer DavPul

"Stop being weak, only weak people allow themselves to be sabotaged" - MFPer Acg67
  • katherinegibson
    Options
    Everyone falls off the horse- you just need to hop right back on. The key to being successful is to not think of it as being sabotaged or a failure... When I did that, it tends to leave a negative feeling and a feeling of not being allowed to eat the things you like which makes you want them even more.. Just start again at your next meal. If I want something, I just go and get like.. 10 chocolate covered raisins, or some corn nuts. Its better than depriving myself and then eating a couple boxes!. Its all good. Nothing to be worried about. Tomorrow is a new day!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. It happens. It's better to examine the situation and figure out how to keep it from happening the next time. Discovering the cause of the problem is more important than the fact that you overate a little, especially at the beginning. It's also important that you get right back "on the horse" and don't use this as an excuse to go on a binge or stop trying altogether. You should be in this for life and in life, things happen.

I usually worry more about my calories over the week than day to day. Eat a little less tomorrow or exercise a little more. It'll even itself out.
  • Totally get it!
    Busy pm, hit a burger joint, got home and inputted the meal #@/^&/$!!!!!!
    Who knew fries were THAT bad.
    Did an unplanned treadmill visit!
    Like tne fella said earlier -I can only do better tomorrow!
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    How many cal/kjs in the dr pepper and chips?

An estimated 500
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Ok so I totally just had a Dr Pepper and some chips.. totally unplanned and threw me off my diet. :/
    Why are you on a diet tho? Today I had a chocolate croissant and chocolate and other crap like that because I'm not on a diet. Whatever, I know I'll snap back to it over the next few days. You need to have this attitude to be successful with long-term weight loss, in my opinion. Just make sure your regular habit is eating at your calorie goal, and not 'throwing off your diet'
    How do you guys fight the cravings??
    Here are the 4 levels of options when it comes to cravings:

1. ignore cravings 'til they go away
    2. eat something similar but more nutritionally sound.
    3. give in and have a small amount so that it fits into your daily caloric intake.
    4. give in and eat the whole damn serving, whether it fits your daily intake or not. You don't want to reach level 4 often, but sometimes it might happen, and then you move on.
    Do you know of anything I can do to burn some of those cals fast???
    Move. Quickly, if possible :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

How did it throw off your diet?

Answer : it didn't.

This is why diet's fail. You do one thing wrong and it's ruined. This is not the case. To be successful in losing weight and then keeping it off, you need to realize that you're never going to be perfect. Get over it, move on and continue eating the best you can.

Yup, ^this.

And also, what is your daily calorie goal? You might have given in to the craving because you're legitimately hungry or malnourished...and that can happen when your calorie deficit is too high.