Diet Coke Addict!!!

Options
The last few days, I have decided to drastically cut down my diet coke intake, as it was affecting my sleep, and causing me to be very anxious if I drank too much. Anyone have any weight loss experiences when giving up diet pop? How did it help you?

Replies

• AimeeFergy
    Options
    I was a pepsi addict. I decided to give it up, as it was affecting my sleeping and eating. I had my last pop new years. I made it through a grueling caffeine withdrawl, but after it was over, I noticed I sleep better, I feel better, and I not longer feel like "snacking" throughout the day. The pop is what had me wanting chips, crackers and other snack foods. I also noticed things taste a lil better too. I crave it once in awhile but tell myself I dont need it. I feel like it was really worth giving up. Pop is very hard to give up! Best Wishes for you!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I was a pop addict. It took me probably five years but I went from pretty much only drinking sugared caffeinated pop to mostly water.

First I swapped full sugared caffeinated pop for diet.
    About a year later I swapped half the pop for diet caffeine free.
    The third year I swapped the diet caffeinated pop for tea.
    Then I swapped out the pop completely for Crystal Light and from there I just started diluting the CL down.

Nowadays I don't ever keep pop in the house. I keep tea bags (more decaf than not) and Crystal Light sticks and drink water and milk. I do occasionally drink coffee (black or black with a splash of milk) because I really need a jolt of caffeine but I don't everyday. Also, when I do drink the coffee I absolutely will not allow myself to drink it past noon.

I think for me that giving up massive amounts of caffeine allowed me to sleep better and when I could sleep better it was just easier to lose the weight. PLUS not drinking all of the calories was huge for me in the beginning. With diet pop you wont get that but for me it was great. Good luck.
  • Raw_Bean
    Raw_Bean Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    What finally helped me kick the habit for good was the documentary Hungry For Change.

I've read plenty of articles on the harm of diet pop, but I figured it was better than sugar. I also grew up with only diet pop in the house so that's what I started on and always drank.

It took the people in the documentary Hungry For Change explaining what is unique about diet pop that makes it hard to stop.

I know I'm still fresh out form kicking the habit (Dec 27th to be exact) but when the thought has crossed my mind, which was only yesterday, my mind just as quickly jumped to why it's terrible.

Good luck!
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was a diet coke addict. I drank it like water until about 4 months ago. I never made any decision to give it up. I quite cold turkey. Basically I'd been eating low calorie, but clean foods, and exercising a lot, and one morning I woke up -thirsty- and went to grab my dc and it was repulsive to me. I've only had it 2-3 times since then and it's not half as good as I remember - just tastes like chemicals.

I don't believe quitting will help with weight loss if you're already sticking to calorie goals. But it has been good. I've noticed my skin is sooo much better (not that it was bad in the first place), I get fare fewer pimples and it's ridiculously soft. And I sleep better. As a shift worker that's important. I'm not sleeping longer, but I'm sleeping better. I don't feel exhausted all day on day shifts anymore. Plus, funnily enough, it's better for my wallet.
  • AndreaK0033
    AndreaK0033 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What finally helped me kick the habit for good was the documentary Hungry For Change.

I've read plenty of articles on the harm of diet pop, but I figured it was better than sugar. I also grew up with only diet pop in the house so that's what I started on and always drank.

It took the people in the documentary Hungry For Change explaining what is unique about diet pop that makes it hard to stop.

I know I'm still fresh out form kicking the habit (Dec 27th to be exact) but when the thought has crossed my mind, which was only yesterday, my mind just as quickly jumped to why it's terrible.

Good luck!
  • AndreaK0033
    Options
    I'm going to have to check out that documentry. :)
  • AndreaK0033
    Options
    I was a diet coke addict. I drank it like water until about 4 months ago. I never made any decision to give it up. I quite cold turkey. Basically I'd been eating low calorie, but clean foods, and exercising a lot, and one morning I woke up -thirsty- and went to grab my dc and it was repulsive to me. I've only had it 2-3 times since then and it's not half as good as I remember - just tastes like chemicals.

I don't believe quitting will help with weight loss if you're already sticking to calorie goals. But it has been good. I've noticed my skin is sooo much better (not that it was bad in the first place), I get fare fewer pimples and it's ridiculously soft. And I sleep better. As a shift worker that's important. I'm not sleeping longer, but I'm sleeping better. I don't feel exhausted all day on day shifts anymore. Plus, funnily enough, it's better for my wallet.

Thats how I was too...for years I have been drinking dc like water!!! Since Saturday, I have had one, a few days in there 2...at most.
  • Jennifer217B
    Options
    I drink water all day but when I need a little bit of a sweet drink I'll have a Zevia soda. It's soda made with stevia and xylitol. Not as bad as regular diet soda.
  • lemanuelthelazy
    lemanuelthelazy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My sister was a serious DC addict, she drank probably almost a 2 liter per day, sometimes six or seven cans. Definitely didn't help her ADD! She was able to kick the addiction by just drinking WAY more water than Diet Coke. Now for something sweet she drinks coconut water (which is mucho expensivo).

I had a brief high school addiction to Mountain Dew, nondiet, which is probably why I gained so much. I found that once I went cold turkey I couldn't handle the high levels of sugar anymore, so it wasn't even a craving at all. Now I can barely drink any soda except occasionally diet, and never unless I'm eating something. Once you stop doing it regularly, it's not that you don't want to or that you are really good at telling yourself no, it's that you physically can't drink it comfortably anymore.
  • Raw_Bean
    Raw_Bean Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to check out that documentry. :)
    [/quote

It's on Netflix at the moment. You could probably find someplace to watch it online by searching it. Some of these documentaries offer viewers to watch it on their site but this one doesn't, at least it didn't when I was looking to recommend it to someone.

It's worth a watch for sure.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was a serious addict. I never drank anything else. I had to give it up when I had WLS because of the carbonation. The first thing I noticed is that my feet stopped swelling. I used to have a major problem with that and now it's gone. My surgeon said it's from not having carbonation which causes bloat.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I drink Diet Soda every day, wouldn't have it any other way.

Also, Inb4 10 page diet soda debate
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I used to drink about 4-5 cans of diet coke a day. now I have it once a week. once I reduced it I began to loose weight. I kept wondering why I could not loose weight and that was to much pop.