a peanut butter w/o hydrogenated vegetable oil in it?

Options
I need to lower my triglycerides drastically and am looking for a peanut butter that does not contain hydrogenated vegetable oil in it...I have very recently had my gall bladder removed and a hernia repaired...does anyone know of a creamy peanut butter that is healthy for me plz?...prefered with honey but not neccessary...Thank you...

Replies

• stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    honestly? put some peanuts in your blender and blend them until they are the consistency you like. i have made my own very easily this way. you do NOT need to add oil to make peanut butter in a blender. and you can add your own honey and whatever else you like to it.
  • kellyraesmik
    kellyraesmik Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like stines idea. But you could also just purchase natural peanut butter that is made with peanuts and thats it! Trader joes has its own brand that I am addicted to. And you can add honey to it yourself.
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Any "natural" brand should be fine. Don't spend a lot on fancy "no stir" varieties, because it really just takes 2-3 seconds to stir peanut butter. A lot of the natural varieties in my city are located in a refrigerated aisle near the cream cheese and butter.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Carbs generally increase trigs, not fat. Just buy a natural peanut butter, the contents will show just peanuts.
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Laura Scudders, Trader Joe's own brand, Jiffy's all natural. Plenty of choices.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Smucker's natural...like crack in a jar!!!
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Look at the labels. Even the natural peanut butters have added crap to them.

Look for ones that only say peanuts. or if they have peanuts and salt. Krema is a good one.
  • dorihinkelmann
    Options
    Thank you all for these wonderful ideas....
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Adams peanut butter and costco has a Kirkland brand all natural peanut butter.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Natural grocery stores or some regular ones you grind the peanuts in their grinder right there, so raw.

Or go to a natural grocery store and try one. Or even better, almond butter is healthier for you. Or Earth Balance has PB that is great, or PB mixed with coconut oil in a container by the same brand(it's yummy), and my all-time fav is a natural brand we get from Whole Foods, 365 brand it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good and I hate peanut butter but I'll eat that stuff, it just tastes so good and natural/fresh.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Don't let "organic" be your guide - read the ingredients. I just found out that my "O" organics peanut butter has organic palm oil in it. *glowers*

Kirkland Natural has nothing but peanuts and salt - you can probs get unsalted too.
  • Swethington00
    Options
    I LOVE PB2. You have to order it online. Mix as directed and mix a splenda packet in with it... AWESOME!!!! Low cal / Low carb / NO OIL
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    My favorite brand is Krema's natural creamy. Only ingredient is peanuts.
  • happypath101
    Options
    PB2 is a miracle food. It's powered peanuts - no butter. Add what you like or toss it into a smoothy or dip a banana in it. It's great!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Natural grocery stores or some regular ones you grind the peanuts in their grinder right there, so raw.

My local Winco store has grind-your-own peanut and almond butter. Nothing in it but nuts. :flowerforyou:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Big fan of Teddy Peanut Butter. Just Peanuts and Salt. We buy both the smooth and extra chunky because my wife doesn't really care for the extra chunky. Shes a weirdo but I love her...

Here's my quick tip. When you buy natural peanut butter before you open it put it in the cupboard upside down. The oil that seperated to the top will work it's way back through the peanut butter before you open it given a day or 3. Then it's much easier to stir up.
  • dorihinkelmann
    Options
    WOW!!! Thank you all!!!...my daughter and I looked at many peanut butter brands in our local store and were either finding hydrogenated vegetable oil or 2 inches of oil sitting on top of the peanut butter...I will definately look at all my options here...YOU ARE ALL SO WONDERFUL!!!
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    PB2 is a miracle food. It's powered peanuts - no butter. Add what you like or toss it into a smoothy or dip a banana in it. It's great!

This! My personal fav
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The PB2 tastes like chemicals to me... was so sad since so many rave reviews on MFP

I agree with those that have mentioned reading the labels and the ingredients only saying 'peanuts' as well as the suggestion to try the almond butter. You can get either freshly ground at Whole Foods (if there is one near you); generally near the bulk section.
  • lorindaleigh
    lorindaleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I LOVE PB2. You have to order it online. Mix as directed and mix a splenda packet in with it... AWESOME!!!! Low cal / Low carb / NO OIL

My local health food store carries PB2 for $4.50 a bottle!!!