Protein boost for oatmeal?

Options
lesliefb
lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
I love having oatmeal for breakfast in the morning, but need a boost of protein in it so it sticks with me. I really enjoy adding peanuts, almonds or cashews, but they do have a lot of calories. Was wondering if anyone had other suggestions I could try, possibly a protein powder (never used before) or other ingredient?

Thanks for any ideas!

Replies

• Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I often add an egg to a serving of cooked oatmeal.
    I cook the oatmeal on the stovetop and when it's cooked I crack an egg in the pot, whisk the egg into the oatmeal, the heat from the oatmeal will cook the egg.
    I often make 3-4 servings at a time and keep them in the fridge to reheat.

I also do proatmeal (oatmeal with protein powder). Cook the oatmeal according to package directions and stir in 1/2 - 1 scoop of protein powder.
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Never thought of adding an egg!
  • Hopkinson11
    Options
    Ive been adding half a scoop of protein powder to my oatmeal in the morning. It tastes great and gives me that extra protein boost that I need! :smile:
  • vnsswsh6
    vnsswsh6 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I must try this recipe! Thanks
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just add whey or hemp protein powder to the oatmeal when I want a protein boost, also to mashed potatoes or other veggies etc. Works great to give the nutrition breakdown you want.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    could also try ground flax seed to make it stay with you.
  • Kimrpm
    Kimrpm Posts: 4
    Options
    I use Robb's egg white protein in my overnight oats. Google for some yummy recipes on overnight oats or go to my instagram for examples krpm123
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I add a half a scoop of protein powder to mine as well I use the UNJURY brand, which is a whey-isolate protein. I use either unflavored or vanilla flavored. If you like a baked oatmeal (think bread pudding consistancy) , go to www.BariatricFoodie.com She has some good recipes for that, as well as good ideas for adding in protein to other foods.
  • scottjames84
    Options
    I add Chia seeds :-)
  • NBSfit
    NBSfit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A bit of Greek yogurt, I like Fage, adds a nice tang and some extra protein!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I add some peanut butter to mine
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I LOVE adding vanilla protein powder (and banans and sultanas for flavour)
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Protein powder or greek yoghurt
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I often add an egg to a serving of cooked oatmeal.
    I cook the oatmeal on the stovetop and when it's cooked I crack an egg in the pot, whisk the egg into the oatmeal, the heat from the oatmeal will cook the egg.
    I often make 3-4 servings at a time and keep them in the fridge to reheat.

I also do proatmeal (oatmeal with protein powder). Cook the oatmeal according to package directions and stir in 1/2 - 1 scoop of protein powder.

I do this (add an egg) to regular sweet oatmeal. I also do a savory oatmeal with a little onion, soy sauce, and a bunch of nutritional yeast and top it with a poached or fried egg and some hot sauce. The nooch is cheesy tasting and it's an extra protein boost. My steel cut oatmeal with onion, soy sauce, ground flax, nutritional yeast, and an egg is 358 calories, 24g protein. Sometimes I add spinach too.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have lots of oatmeal recipes, but this is one of my favorites:

PUMPKIN PIE OATMEAL

1/2 cup oatmeal (cook in water)
    1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I use Jay Robb's whey protein powder)
    1/4 cup canned pumpkin (I use Farmer's Market Organic Pumpkin)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 pinch of nutmeg
    1 pinch of ginger
    1 clove (I like to break it open and grind the powder out with my fingers)
    3 packets of Splenda

Cook the oatmeal until nearly done...then add all other ingredients and cook until desired consistency, usually 1 minute more or less.

Each bowl has 300 calories, 30g of protein, 36g of carbs, and 3g of fat.
  • vnsswsh6
    vnsswsh6 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I mixed an egg in my oatmeal this morning,delicious! First time I have ever ate oatmeal mix with egg! Love it!
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options

This
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    any protein powder would prob taste good in it. I use pure protein frosty chocolate in mine & I boil the oats in vanilla almond milk.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

This

Pb2 tastes good in it as well.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My husband loves my strawberry mousse protein powder with his oatmeal. Sometimes he uses "fuzzy naval" (peachy flavored). I haven't bought banana yet. Sometimes he adds the grapefruit flavor (water added) to his grapefruit juice.