Chia Seeds

Options
Considering buying a bag.... can someone tell me their experience with them? Like 'em, dislike 'em? Why? Thanks :)

Replies

• AussieTrainer
    Options
    I like them and would recommend them. I also like whole flaxseeds, which I think have slightly more taste. Try putting either one on peanut butter toast or in an egg sandwich, or over yogurt... lots of ways to use them.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I put them in chocolate almond milk.
    It's a weird texture but it makes me feel full.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I add them to my oatmeal and they hide pretty well. I also do mixed berries with it, so once it's cooked and all mixed together, it's impossible to tell if it's a seed from a blackberry or otherwise. I've done a tablespoon of chia seeds in yogurt before, but that was a bit much. I would say, start small and you can work your way up as you get used to them. If your grocery store has a good bulk section, you may be able to buy a small amount to try, then buy more as you go -- just in case you decide that they're really not your thing.

One tip that makes a lot of difference for me -- I like to let them sit for a few minutes if they're in anything with a bit of liquid, so they have a chance to get a bit gelly. To me, that makes them more food-like and palatable, rather than just seeds. But then, that may turn some people off. So just experiment. :smile:

Also, this jam is DIVINE!!! http://ohsheglows.com/2012/06/26/magical-blueberry-vanilla-chia-seed-jam/
  • tbetz1
    tbetz1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I put them in my morning smoothie, they are a great source of fibre, and full of antioxidants.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    If you don't like slippery textures don't buy them.
    I think they are pointless, but that is my opinion.
    On the other hand my mother-in-law loves them and puts them on everything and swears by them that they keep her full and longer.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    They don't have any real flavor - they're just filling. I use them in overnight oatmeal: http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like them and would recommend them. I also like whole flaxseeds, which I think have slightly more taste. Try putting either one on peanut butter toast or in an egg sandwich, or over yogurt... lots of ways to use them.

Whole flaxseeds mostly pass through the digestive tract without being absorbed. Ground flaxseed is needed to get the nutritional benefits. This is not true of chia though.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I like them in my oatmeal. Flax seeds cause digestive issues for me, chia seeds don't.
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Considering buying a bag.... can someone tell me their experience with them? Like 'em, dislike 'em? Why? Thanks :)

Wait... the chia seeds as in the stuff used for chia pets, are edible?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Wait... the chia seeds as in the stuff used for chia pets, are edible?

Yes
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    They don't have any real flavor - they're just filling. I use them in overnight oatmeal: http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
    This
  • jms1985
    jms1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips all :) I'd like to try to incorporate them into my diet, but I don't know a whole lot about them. I know they are essentially flavorless & aid in making you feel full longer. So, I guess that's a start. Thanks for the recipe suggestions, too!
  • jms1985
    jms1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Oooh - thanks for the suggestion about getting them in the bulk section. Not that it's a lot, but I didn't want to spend $5 on a bag to find out 1/4 tsp later that I didn't like them.
    I add them to my oatmeal and they hide pretty well. I also do mixed berries with it, so once it's cooked and all mixed together, it's impossible to tell if it's a seed from a blackberry or otherwise. I've done a tablespoon of chia seeds in yogurt before, but that was a bit much. I would say, start small and you can work your way up as you get used to them. If your grocery store has a good bulk section, you may be able to buy a small amount to try, then buy more as you go -- just in case you decide that they're really not your thing.

One tip that makes a lot of difference for me -- I like to let them sit for a few minutes if they're in anything with a bit of liquid, so they have a chance to get a bit gelly. To me, that makes them more food-like and palatable, rather than just seeds. But then, that may turn some people off. So just experiment. :smile:

Also, this jam is DIVINE!!! http://ohsheglows.com/2012/06/26/magical-blueberry-vanilla-chia-seed-jam/
  • mixmastermel_b
    mixmastermel_b Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    chia pudding!! i use this recipe & modify the seasoning. it's like rice pudding texture so it's gloppy but oh so good. sometimes i mix raisins or even some chocolate chips to kill my sweet cravings.

http://www.marcussamuelsson.com/recipe/chia-seed-pudding-recipe
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I used them before, and will probably use again, chia seeds in a smoothie. When wet they develop a slimy, glycerine like consistency. Great for fiber and omega, high in fat, i used them for omega and to give my smoothie bulk. Tasteless. I like that. Flax stars.losing nutrition the second you grind it, and you have to grind it to digest, not so with chia, just add and eat. Cheaper at.whole food buying from the bulk bins versus off the shelf prepackaged.
  • scottjames84
    Options

I love the overnight oatmeal :-) so delish. My favorite is the vanilla raspberry one.
  • demelza123
    demelza123 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Love them. Love them. Love them. Gerat for weigh loss. I drink Chia Lemon Fresca daily - filtered water, juice of a lemon & table spoon of Chai seed - a big glass of goodness! And yes it's works wonders for keeping you regular :-) Got to be okay with 'gel' like texture though. Tons of recipes available on the web. Dr Oz also did a piece on Chia seed too. He's a fan.
  • smalltheresa
    smalltheresa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i brought some from local farmer market and it pretty good. Make sure if put them in smooties you may want to shock them first then blend it otherwise it will turn into gelatin. A little goes a long way and its consider super food.
  • szonjakun
    szonjakun Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love chia seeds! I put them in my oatmeal, post workout shake and even in my yogurt. If you put them in water (or milk, yogurt..whatever) and wait for at least an hour they'll get bigger and have a gel like texture. :)