Pre-Diabetes... come together :)

Options

Replies

• twyla65
    twyla65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello. I found out this summer that I was prediabetic. My AlC fasting was 6.0, I found this forum and started exercising more and watching the carbs. However, I think I wasn't paying closer attention to the sugar content of some of the protein bars and fat-free yogurts II have been eating:) I was just retested and now my AlC it at 6.2. The doctor thinks it's because of the holidays and I didn't do much exercising. If my A!C reaches 6.6, I will be classifed as diabetic. Will get retested in 6 months. I have lost weight down from 160 to 138 - 140.

I would love to be added as a friend.

Thanks,
    Twyla
  • allen77a
    Options
    Hi. I'm 27 and am pre-diabetic. I've been struggling trying to lose more than 5lbs. I regain a pound or two then lose again. Does anyone have any pre-diabetic friendly suggestions.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Diagnose in April 2012, had to turn it around. It was really a blessing. That diagnosis got me up and moving
  • RamoZimm
    RamoZimm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Was diagnosed with it a year ago December and, since then, I've made significant progress by losing weight and eating more mindfully. I also look at it as a blessing because it was just the kick in the (way too large) pants that got me back on the right track. Have any of you heard of Mark McDonald? He recommends adding cinnamon tincture to your water to help regulate blood sugar btw. meals. I started putting a couple drops in every glass I drank but it started burning my tongue, so now I use it sparingly. Any of you who would like to add me, feel free to do so. Need all the info and encouragement I can get!
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    In October, my fasting glucose was 101, just in to the pre-diabetic range.

I go back next week for a recheck.

I've lost another 15 pounds since then and I've been exercising pretty consistently. My doctor was confident that would be enough to get me back in to the normal range.

I have noticed a big difference in my energy level lately- I don't have that huge afternoon crash anymore, and I don't have to eat every couple of hours or I go crazy like i used to. I can eat three meals a day and not get grouchy or uncomfortable.

And, I don't get the big sugar rush when I do occasionally eat something sweet like I used to, which is weird. I used to enjoy that rush and use the energy to get things done! My energy level is much more balanced now.

I'm hoping these are all signs I'm back in to the normal range. I'll let you know.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! Had my re-check today!

And I am in the normal range! 96!

Thank you MFP!
  • Hayaa79
    Hayaa79 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hi I am also pre=diab.

& yes its the same thing Insulin resistant & pre-diabetic

I was on Glucophage & then I promised to change my lifestyle, stopped the medicine & started diet & exercise lot weight & stil tryin hard to lose & so I came within the normal range:happy:
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which is considered a pre-diabetic condition. With my paternal grandfather being diabetic, I figure it isn't "if" but "when" I'll get it. I'm hoping by losing the weight, it'll put me "at a lesser risk" for becoming diabetic. Yes, it STINKS ROYALLY!!
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    49 year old female here, diagnosed as pre-diabetic June 2012.
    Joined MFP the next day.
    After losing 62 pounds I'm now within 3 pounds of my goal weight which my doctor said would probably do the trick for me.
    My diary is open for anyone to see what I've been eating, I'm not an evangelist for any type of diet, program or regimen.
    My eating changes have consisted of giving up the cookies and cakes and chips I used to graze on and to practice portion control.
    I also don't follow any diet program because my eating style has to be sustainable for the long term.

In 4 months at my re-check we'll see if my weight loss has done the trick to get me out of the pre-diabetic category.
  • Indyimp
    Indyimp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed pre-diabetic a couple of years ago. Each year my sugar has gone down with weight that I lost before joining MFP. The weight got stagnant for a while and is part of my reasoning for joining MFP. Feel free to add me :smile:
  • moquintana
    moquintana Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed full on diabetic a couple years ago...well I lost some weight and am now considered pre diabetic which I feel was a great big step in the right direction...my problem is I need friends on here who aren't afraid to kick me in the butt when I start slacking off...if u r up to the task please add me :)
  • pollym89
    Options
    My doctor says I'm not Diabetic yet, but I've got "an Insulin resistance" and this has caused part of my inability to lose as well as not eating regular, not eating at the right times, and eating the wrong foods at the wrong times. We eat low fat and low salt and have for years. However, learning to eat low carb too has been interesting. We already had cut out most "white" things from our food dietary nutrition so it wasn't an issue there, but learning to eat more protein in the latter part of the day is a trick.
  • Hinxx
    Hinxx Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ok, this has NOTHING to do with this topic but I need to get it out of my system!

When I read the thread title, I couldn't hep but start singing "come together... right now, over me!"

Ok, I'm done. Carry on. :tongue:
  • pondmermaid
    pondmermaid Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Absolutely- am out there for you and have battled with this too long. Now its crunch time before I completely ruin my health. So here we go to a keep a healthy diet with only whole grains, keeping a sharp eye on sugar intake and not over doing fruits high in sugar. Stay away from liquid sugar in beer, alcohol, sodas and specialty coffees. That stuff is the worst in terms of passive intake of sugar. Good luck and friend me. I am happy to be a support buddy.
  • Hayaa79
    Options
    49 year old female here, diagnosed as pre-diabetic June 2012.
    Joined MFP the next day.
    After losing 62 pounds I'm now within 3 pounds of my goal weight which my doctor said would probably do the trick for me.
    My diary is open for anyone to see what I've been eating, I'm not an evangelist for any type of diet, program or regimen.
    My eating changes have consisted of giving up the cookies and cakes and chips I used to graze on and to practice portion control.
    I also don't follow any diet program because my eating style has to be sustainable for the long term.

In 4 months at my re-check we'll see if my weight loss has done the trick to get me out of the pre-diabetic category.

U did so well hopefully u wil be out of this category for sure
  • Hayaa79
    Options
    So guys I guess the only solution to insulin resistance is WEIGHT LOSS:smile:

I feel there is no other solution

& every 1 out of 25 women has PCOs (polycystic ovary syndrome) like me:bigsmile: so its ok we can fight it as other ppl hav much more to fight with we should be thankful that we can do sth abt this issue :smile:

BE POSITIVE :wink:
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just recently had blood tests come back saying my glucose levels were elevated...I think about 107. I'm going back next week to have another blood test. I've been having sleeping problems...waking up 5 or 6 or 7 times a night to pee. I'm afraid I might be pre-diabetic. I only have about another 15 lbs I'm trying to lose so I hope I can nip it quickly. Anyone in the same boat? Please send me a message if you want to friend me!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It's a scary thing. I think i must be pre-diabetic but I have been too scared to find out. I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy (5 years ago) and I am supposed to have a glucose tolerance test every year but I have avoided them. I have lost weight first with weightwatchers and now with MFP and have just come out of the obese category into the just overweight category. I would be happy to have some more support with this because although I have cut down my sugar intake, I can't seem to manage to cut it out totally.
  • Rohibelieve
    Rohibelieve Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    hi every one.....the good news is that PCO (polysystic ovary) goes away with weight loss. When i was 18 yrs old i was 98 kg and i had PCO. I didn't take any medicines . i lost 20 kgs and had an ultra scan. The result was , my PCO has disappeared.

Now i am 25, And i have a son. Now I have gained back weight 105 kg and got back my PCO. I am also a pre diabetic, 120 mg/dl.
    So my doctor said that if i lose weight , i will get rid of PCO and Pre diabetic.

So now joined MFP for motivation and getting a better health.
  • Hayaa79
    Options
    Hey that is really a good news so this means if we all lose weight we may get rid of PCOs :smile:

U did well before & now also good luck with ur weight loss