Can someone help me understand?

Options
I just ate dinner 2 hrs. ago. I had four oz. of salmon, 2 cups of green beans, a cup of mushroom and herb couscous and water. So why do I feel like I'm starving just two hours later? I have been successful with my weight loss - I'm down to 145 but would like to reach 135...but I am constantly hungry even though most days I eat about 1700 to 1800 calories. I am just so tired of being hungry all the time. I think that's why every week I just have a day where I can't seem to help myself and eat WAY more than I should....I just want to feel full. So what gives? How can I be hungry 2 hrs. after dinner?

Replies

• msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    hi!
    so I'm gonna give a little peice of advice that was given to me (I can't see your journal so I don't know what's going on with the food)BUT... More protien and higher fiber foods. I don't know what you do for a a work out but I was having a similar problem because I work out in the evening and I'm RAVENOUS at night... adjust your intake so you get a few more calories in the evening and at that meal eat more protien (6-8oz of meat depending on what it is) and more fiber rich foods (like black beans)... OR as was also suggested to me was to account for a snack between dinner but 2 hours before bed. Hope that helps. I hate being hungry...

:drinker:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You may want to have your vitamin D levels checked. In Dr. Daniel Amen's book "Change Your Brain, Change Your Body" he talks about how D deficiency can make you feel like you're starving all the time. A book well worth picking up, btw. Talk to your doctor.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll give a little more info... I had a NutriGrain bar for breakfast. Did an hour long spin class at the gym and then swam for about 40 minutes. For lunch I had a hard boiled egg sandwich on low calorie bread and a turkey and cheese sandwich on low cal bread and water. I had an apple for a mid afternoon snack and dinner was what I posted in my original post. I have been mostly sedentary the rest of the day after my workout. I usually do a morning workout and an evening workout...mostly so I can have more calories to eat throughout the day to help curb the hunger. I ALWAYS have an evening snack...I think I'd starve without one (or two). Does that give any more useful info? BTW, thanks for the replies and suggestions.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I guess I can't help but I am hungry alot too. And if I am working out I am starving usually. Drink more water, and sugar free jello is practically free food.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Add vegies to each meal or a fruit. Add tomatoes or spinach, or both to your breakfast sandwich and maybe even some fruit. Have yogurt and fruit for a snack in the morning, then have a salad on the side of your lunch. Shoot for four servings of fruits and vegies every day and I bet you will feel the difference! (a little more dairy too.)
  • Fry24
    Fry24 Posts: 21
    Options
    I noticed being hungry at night until I changed my calorie intake...

I eat the largest "meal" for breakfast around 630- usually 480 calories of whole grain, protein rich toast and a berry smoothie (blueberries, strawberries, 6 oz oj with pulp). This keeps me feeling full through an hour of hard cardio routine until a.m. snack or lunch around 11:30am.

Whole grains always leave me feeling fuller longer, along with lean protein. Sweet snacks (even if on the healthy side- fruit by itself or cereal bars) just leave me craving sweets all day.
  • runner456
    runner456 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To tell you the truth I don't lose weight if I don't feel hungry at least for some of the day. You are working out a lot so are you sure you are calculating the calories burned correctly? Maybe you're burning more than you think you are. Interesting about the vitamin D as well.
    Sugar free gum helps too!
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    Without more details, I would say, it sounds like you may not be eating enough during the day. Maybe if you try to eat more of your calories during the day and less in the evening, it may help (it may take some getting used to). Also, not sure how much water you're drinking, but the more water you drink, the more full you will feel. Many experts agree that many times when we think we're hungry, we're really thirsty. And one last suggestion, maybe look into taking a good fiber supplement about 30 minutes or so before you eat with a full glass of water. Depending on the type of fiber (one that comes to mind that is supposed to be really good at helping you feel full is konjac root), it can help make your stomach feel much fuller.

And sometimes we just have days when we're constantly hungry...like me TODAY!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll give a little more info... I had a NutriGrain bar for breakfast. Did an hour long spin class at the gym and then swam for about 40 minutes. For lunch I had a hard boiled egg sandwich on low calorie bread and a turkey and cheese sandwich on low cal bread and water. I had an apple for a mid afternoon snack and dinner was what I posted in my original post. I have been mostly sedentary the rest of the day after my workout. I usually do a morning workout and an evening workout...mostly so I can have more calories to eat throughout the day to help curb the hunger. I ALWAYS have an evening snack...I think I'd starve without one (or two). Does that give any more useful info? BTW, thanks for the replies and suggestions.

What's your numbers for calorie intake RMR etc.
    It doesn't sound like you are eating enough during the day.

edit: your 1st message says 1700-1800 calories, but what you've described does NOT sound like 1800 calories intake.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Man that doesn't sound like 1700 calories! Maybe add more fiber to bulk up your meals. I aim for at least 25g a day. Sounds like something is missing from your diet...are you meeting all of your macronutrient goals (carbs, protein, fat, etc.)? Don't be afraid to add more healthy fats to your diet; they are digested the slowest of all = the longer you will feel full!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Peter, My BMR is 1284. I estimate that my RMR is about 1700. MFP allows me 1200 cal. per day. With my exercise burn of about 600 cal per day I usually eat about 1800 cal a day. Yesterday I only had one evening snack so my total calories was only about 1500...but generally speaking it is usually around 1700 to 1800 cal a day but I almost always feel hungry. I then always seem to give in one day and eat way too much just because I can't take it any more. I'm usually a bit short on my protein for the day and sometimes on the fat but never on the carbs. I feel like I need the carbs because of all the workouts I do.

What's your numbers for calorie intake RMR etc.
    It doesn't sound like you are eating enough during the day.

edit: your 1st message says 1700-1800 calories, but what you've described does NOT sound like 1800 calories intake.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I just ate dinner 2 hrs. ago. I had four oz. of salmon, 2 cups of green beans, a cup of mushroom and herb couscous and water. So why do I feel like I'm starving just two hours later? I have been successful with my weight loss - I'm down to 145 but would like to reach 135...but I am constantly hungry even though most days I eat about 1700 to 1800 calories. I am just so tired of being hungry all the time. I think that's why every week I just have a day where I can't seem to help myself and eat WAY more than I should....I just want to feel full. So what gives? How can I be hungry 2 hrs. after dinner?

My neighbor had her stomach done so she only can eat very little. She said she is not to drink water(fluids) 1 half hour before and after a meal because it takes you body time to process the nutrition from the food. If you drink before and after the 1/2 hour it washes the nutrients through your body. So maybe you might want to try that. Only a thought