Cooking is Hard

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Disagree. "Access to..." and "ability to..." do NOT equal LIKE to...If someone doesn't LIKE to cook and chooses to use that as an excuse to NOT eat healthy, then they are making a decision. There are lots of things I don't LIKE to do, but I do them anyway, for my benefit.

This is true. I *hate* cooking, but I do it anyway because I love my family.
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I understand how it's hard for some people to cook, even if they are following a recipe. It's hard to just follow steps without any context. Sometimes understanding a technique can help you cook more intuitively. If you understand the principals behind some basic cooking methods (broiling, braising, frying), a few base recipes (i.e. how to make a roux), and basic knowledge of which flavors tend to pair well together (pork with apples, fish with lemon, cilantro with everything (haha! j/k)) you'll have some fundamentals to build on. I learned all these things mostly by reading cookbooks. Julia Child, Thomas Keller, and Nigella Lawson all have wonderfully narrative cookbooks that can help build this knowledge base. Then just try something! You may fail, but if you do, try to figure out where it went wrong and learn from it. Cooking can be a really fun, creative process and will improve your life AND your health.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I understand how it's hard for some people to cook, even if they are following a recipe. It's hard to just follow steps without any context. Sometimes understanding a technique can help you cook more intuitively. If you understand the principals behind some basic cooking methods (broiling, braising, frying), a few base recipes (i.e. how to make a roux), and basic knowledge of which flavors tend to pair well together (pork with apples, fish with lemon, cilantro with everything (haha! j/k)) you'll have some fundamentals to build on. I learned all these things mostly by reading cookbooks. Julia Child, Thomas Keller, and Nigella Lawson all have wonderfully narrative cookbooks that can help build this knowledge base. Then just try something! You may fail, but if you do, try to figure out where it went wrong and learn from it. Cooking can be a really fun, creative process and will improve your life AND your health.

I bought a Better Homes and Gardens technique book many years ago. I learned a lot from it. I still use it for some things. Mostly I use Google now though. I will type in the cut of meat and the word recipe. I have had the most luck with recipes from Southern Food and All Recipes.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I love cooking. I just hate the cleanup. I've learned to clean as I go and it makes cooking so much more enjoyable.

And Alton Brown is a must for someone wanting to know how to cook. He really gives the science on behind the 'why' certain things get done a certain way in cooking, and what the different ingredients do for a food. Like the different types of proteins and fats in chocolate chip cookies..... Plus he's just fun to watch.

I also like Alton--how to make something, plus the science behind it, given with a BIG spoonful of humor. If you can, get the Good Eats videos (through the Food Network store).

Cleaning as you go does make things easier because you don't have this monumental cleanup at the end.

I can make simple things. However, crockpots can make meals so much easier. All you really need to do is the prep (browning the meat, cutting the veggies, etc).
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty damned good cook if I do say so myself, but I've come to learn a few things by watching (and eating food cooked by) people who "can't cook". Disclaimer: My ex-wife and her family are the main inspiration for these tidbits.

1) They are afraid to improvise or even eyeball ingredients.

One of the things I make that her family liked the most was a simple meatloaf. There is nothing magical about meatloaf and there are no hard set rules. Type of meat? Your choice. Hell, mix 2 or 3 for all I care. Seasonings? Whatever you have on hand. My ex's sister asked me for my recipe once, I told her that I couldn't give it to her. At first she was a little huffy and made a crack about it being a "family secret" or something. I told her no, it wasn't a secret, it just didn't exist. She couldn't grasp the idea that it is possible to cook without following a recipe to the letter.

2) They are afraid to try anything new.

As pointed out here already, cooking takes practice. You fell off that bicycle a few times before you learned how to ride, you're going to burn a few dishes or have recipes that simply don't work for you. It happens, it's no big deal. Well, unless the fire department shows up. *Then* it's a big deal. My example here is salmon. Again, my ex's family loved the way I made salmon and despite the fact that I showed everyone involved several times how to cook it, I always ended up being the one to prepare dinner. My "recipe"? Lightly dust with flour (and I do mean lightly), pan over medium heat with 1T real butter and 1T olive oil, salmon goes in skin side up for 2 minutes, flip, and into a 350-ish oven for 4-5 more minutes. Again, no magic.

3) They tend to eat their food without actually tasting it, and/or have an aversion to the idea that some spices need to be added *during* the cooking process.

Especially salt. I understand that you don't want to go overboard on salt if you have certain medical conditions, but salt is absolutely crucial in most recipes. I'm not Alton Brown, so I won't go into the in's and out's of why, but that bland chicken that seems to be on the table at every potluck/holiday dinner/family reunion? I can almost guarantee you that the person responsible for it either doesn't eat their own cooking or has gotten used to cooking for someone on a restricted diet and went way overboard.

But it's not just that. The first time you cook a new recipe, take some extra time eating it. You and you alone know what you like. If it needs more or less of something already listed, make a note. If you're eating it and suddenly think "I bet some cheddar cheese would make this even better" by all means, add it the next time! As you add new spices to your collection and get to know what they do, go back and revisit some old standbys and see about jazzing them up a little.

Cooking is an art. Approaching it as a cold, sterile scientific process will get you edible food, but nothing else. Color outside of the lines, sing off key, make up your own rules. But for goodness sake, just have fun with it. In the immortal words of Nadia G., "It ain't rocket surgery."

This - just thinking about what you are eating, whether it be at a restaurant or at home, will make you a better cook. Think and Taste - what are things you like about what you are eating? What would make it better? Just these two simple things are key to cooking well and easily.

I appreciate this thread, so much more reasonable than all the troll-f*&@kery about fast food over the past couple days.

Cooking at home is faster, cheaper, gives you more quality control, and, for the most part, simply tastes better. I made a really great copy of baked eggs in mushrooms that I had at a restaurant on vacation in Buenos Aires tonight: http://frshforce.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/mushroom-eggs-florentine/#more-603 (and successfully kept my yolks soft this time)

I think mine was better - I added a bit of truffle salt to finish. The truffle salt wasn`t on the menu, but I thought it would add a nice element, and sure enough my thought paid off in spades.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    About 18 months ago, I decided it was finally time to learn to cook! I had lots of cookbooks, but hardly ever cooked. I didn't have any confidence in myself in the kitchen. I decided to pick one cookbook and cook every recipe in it. I picked a low fat recipe book with both cooking and baking recipes. I knew that the ingredients in that book could always be found at the supermarket. And I did it! I cooked/baked all the recipes! I ended up doing the same with the second book in that same series.. and I have cooked half of the recipes in the third book. Our freezer has been full of food all the time. :) Now I look for fun recipes online all the time and just love trying them out!

I applaud you on taking the initiative to learn!
  • NudlBea
    NudlBea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%. Also, if the peeve is chopping or dicing, most of veggies or fruits can be diced, sliced or whatever before hand and be kept in tupperwares. Do it when u have nothing else to do (like a sunday afternoon) and u're set for the week :)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty damned good cook if I do say so myself, but I've come to learn a few things by watching (and eating food cooked by) people who "can't cook". Disclaimer: My ex-wife and her family are the main inspiration for these tidbits.

1) They are afraid to improvise or even eyeball ingredients.

2) They are afraid to try anything new.

3) They tend to eat their food without actually tasting it, and/or have an aversion to the idea that some spices need to be added *during* the cooking process.

I was raised in a "follow the recipe" family. Everything exactly measured, etc. When I got married, I watched my hubby cook a few times (just throwing this and that in the pot). Well, now I don't even follow recipes. I sometimes use them as a guideline for what spices should be in it, but I never measure them and usually taste it and go "It need X." I learned this method VERY quickly. I have only been married two and half years. Anyone can learn to do this if they try.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Cooking isn't hard, it's just like anything else, it takes planning and effort. We (well, a lot of us) are lazy. What annoys me more than planning, shopping and cooking is the darned mess that I make.
  • crchillogalli
    Options
    That's why they created crockpots. Chop a few things up, add seasonings, throw it all in, put the cover on and it cooks all day, or night and VOILA Magic happens! You don't need the crap in a box!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking VERY much, but it's cheaper and healthier so I deal. I don't understand what's so damn hard about it though.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Dude, it's not that people don't like cooking or that cooking is hard, that's just an excuse, like all the other ones that keep this world fat. It's that they are LAZY and would rather not. It's much easier to go through the drive thru on the way home from work, eat in the car and avoid doing dishes and cooking for an hour. This is why there is an obesity epidemic for adults and children. Because people are LAZY.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was raised in a "follow the recipe" family. Everything exactly measured, etc. When I got married, I watched my hubby cook a few times (just throwing this and that in the pot). Well, now I don't even follow recipes. I sometimes use them as a guideline for what spices should be in it, but I never measure them and usually taste it and go "It need X." I learned this method VERY quickly. I have only been married two and half years. Anyone can learn to do this if they try.

I disagree that anyone can learn to improvise cooking. Some people struggle even to make recipes strictly followed come out. I don't know why, but I do know that some people just don't have the knack for cooking, especially for eyeballing or improvising, and maybe never will no matter how hard they try.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking. I'm lucky because my boyfriend does ALL the cooking. yay I get to be "lazy" and let him do all the work.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My son has wanted to be a chef since he was about 7. A chef and an actor. He is 16 and has the same goals. He cooks a lot, has been a volunteer chef in a cooking school and in a restaurant.
    Is he great at cooking? Not really, but he's not bat at all.
    All 3 of my boys learned to cook at a young age and can cook ..if they want. They may choose to live on Mac and Cheese as bachelors, but they all know how to make a big yummy meal. I guess when they want to impress a a girl the older two will cook more.

I like to cook when the kitchen is clean, which is not often with 3 young men and an absent minded husband.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Some great books out there I LOVE:

"A Man, A Can, A Plan"

"The Five Minuet Chef"

Get them, read them, loves them for you food-noobs out there.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Stopped reading comments after the first page...

To me, cooking is like math... only those that don't understand it (or want to understand it) hate it.... I know I take WAY longer on some dishes to cook than is necessary... but that's because I'm not very good at the whole "chopping" thing... But that doesn't deter me from trying new recipes or cooking real food.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love to cook. It's actually my entertainment on some weekends. Nothing better than me, my kitchen, a glass of wine and something good one the stove. I do hate the cleanup though ;-)

I think the most important thing to remember when you are learning how to cook is that practice makes perfect. You can't be afraid to screw up every once in a while because you learn technique through the screw ups. You also have to taste your food and season in layers.

Happy cooking, everyone!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Cooking is as hard or easy as you make it. I cook for a living and make things every day that other people get all impressed over...and to me, those are simple. At home it can be a little different. I don't tend to do complicated stuff at home often,and I am just now learning to use a crock pot (I never had one until recently...I love it), but last night I made panko crusted chicken tenders and sauteed some zucchini. Not difficult, only took a few minutes..healthy and very inexpensive. Anyone can learn the basics and cook. Sometimes it just takes being willing to take a little risk, even "failures" are usually edible. (Not baking though...baking is a science)